Is Oatmeal processed food???

Options

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    most food goes through a process.

i don't understand why people are afraid of "processed" food.

Its because processed foods are the bad guys.

The forces of evil that are not Paleo that are out to get you and make you fat.

The strawman apon which the adjective diet is built (adjective diet as in whole, fresh, unprecessed, pure, healthy, natural, etc..., diets whose existance requires the use of adjectives to describe foods). To explain an adjective diet requires an enemy, a boogeyman, a strawman argument that provides adjective separation and clear superiority of the positive adjectives.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats with chocolate protein powder mmmm!!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Packages of flavoured oatmeal would be considered processed. A much less processed version would be plain oatmeal you make and flavour yourself.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    By definition I believe that anything other than unhulled oats are processed food.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/whole_oat_grain.htm
    Whole Oats have the hull on and are a great choice for sprouting, animal feed and oat grass, but not for food uses unless the hull is removed.

Most food needs to be processed in some form or fashion prior to consumption.

^this - QFT
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    They are more processed than steel-cut or rolled oats but yummy nonetheless. They are fantastic with a bit of peanut butter thrown in and keeps me going for hours.
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Unless your name is Jedadiah and you live in an Amish community, pretty much anything you eat is processed food.

Haha! My name is not Jedadiah, but I DO live in Amish Country!!! I actually buy a lot of my fruits and meats from the menonite! And in the summer time all my fruit comes from the Amish stands!!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If I could eliminate one word from MFP it would be "processed."
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You do NOT want the laborious task of eating unprocessed oats.

I have been known to enjoy noshing on a handful of Purina Omolene (a "sweet feed" for horses made of crimped oats (still have hull), steamed rolled corn, barley(?), a vitamin blend and molasses). It's very like muesli, but currently only around $20 for 50 pounds. I no longer feed it to my horses, because research has found high sugar diets are as bad for horses as for people, but it DOES taste good, and no real problem to chew and digest. I've also eaten and enjoyed plain whole oats - any good horse person wants to sample the quality and flavor of what they feed their horses:wink:
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start by learning what processing means. Reading is cool these days, try it.

No need to be a smart @**! I was just asking the NICE people here at MFP their opinion!!!

PS. I am not worried about processed foods, it was merely a question possed through conversation!
  • BrofessorDumbelldore
    Options
    Yes it is processed. Oatmeal packets don't grow on trees
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

how do you do it? when i do it, it comes out lumpy.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

1/3 cup to 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal + 1/2-3/4 cup water Microwave for 1:30. Add protein powder and mix mix mix---> Then eat (if it's too clumpy add more water!).
  • SkinTightDenims
    Options
    Eating my yummy, processed banana bread Quaker oatmeal as I type this...

Peaches & Cream here!
  • rubypond
    rubypond Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All foods at one point or another are processed foods. Some people feel that if you remove the skin from a food that is considered processed. Others look at process being the addition of additives and preservatives. It really is a controversial area with some people. Not all processed foods are bad for you. Think of it this way....would you drink raw milk? I don't know that I would, so in turn I drink processed milk. With oatmeal if you ask some the removing of the husk makes the oatmeal processed. It all comes down to reading the labels and seeing exactly what is contained in that food. Personally I eat steel cut oatmeal and then add whatever flavors I want in it, fruits etc. Which really if you want to get down to it, ends up being processed by some peoples standards.

The most commonly accepted definition for processed foods is food that has been transformed from it's natural state for safety reasons and or convenience. According to Historians natural was nasty. Meats were tough and rank. Natural was just unreliable. The speed that things soured was quite quick.
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying the flavored oatmeal packets a long time ago just because I figured out I could have a more filling meal for fewer or comparative calories by using a tub of oats and adding to it. If you flavor it yourself, you control how much sugar goes in and you can use tastier fruit instead of those weird little dried fruit chunks. I like to make oatmeal with cherries (fresh if I have them or frozen) and just a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar.
  • rubypond
    rubypond Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start by learning what processing means. Reading is cool these days, try it.

No need to be a smart @**! I was just asking the NICE people here at MFP their opinion!!!

PS. I am not worried about processed foods, it was merely a question possed through conversation!

My sentiments exactly!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I believe I read somewhere that the old fashioned rolled oats are best. I don't know if they are less processed or unprocessed. But they are healthier than the steel cut or instant.
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    Rachel Ray makes a awesome instant oatmeal! There isn't a bunch of added junk in either, just a list of good wholesome ingredients. It is inexpensive and can be found in walmart, that is the only place I have found it. But here it is only two dollars a box and the packet seem to be bigger also. And it is super yummy! My kids love the apple cranberry!
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I buy quick rolled oats in bulk from the co-op for $1.09/pound

Nutritional value:
    1/2 cup dry measure (41g)
    Calories: 160
    Fat calories: 25
    Total fat: 3g
    Saturated fat: 0g
    Trans fat: 0g
    Cholest: 0mg
    Sodium: 0mg
    Total carb: 27g
    Fiber: 4g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 7g
    Vitamin A: 0%
    Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: 2%
    Iron: 7%

My answer: Processed (in the sense that I'm not hulling the oats myself). But not all processed foods are created equally, in my book. Hands down, a better option than the sugary, pre-packaged, fake-fruit oatmeal.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

1/3 cup to 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal + 1/2-3/4 cup water Microwave for 1:30. Add protein powder and mix mix mix---> Then eat (if it's too clumpy add more water!).

I blend the protein powder with milk & water and then add to the oats and microwave (3 minutes as I like porridge you can stand your spoon up in). Current rocking my porridge with either apple crumble & custard powder or chocolate & coconut powder. Yummy :bigsmile: