Is Oatmeal processed food???

Options

Replies

• wigglingalltheway
    Options
    I think it just comes down to being intelligent and understanding about whatever "process" a food item goes through. i.e. there is a massive difference between oatmeal (thinking pure homemade stuff) and say Frosties or cheerios.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If I could eliminate one word from MFP it would be "processed."

Could we make it two and add "organic" to the list? Please??
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I wouldn't mind that. I mean, at least organic actually means something.... but then again most people who use the word don't actually know what it means. So, yeah.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A friend and I got into a discussion the other day about processed food and we were unsure about Quaker's instant oatmeal packets. So, is it processed???

On a side note, I eat the flavored kinds. Would this be a processed food???

Yes. Those flavored packettes can be really high is sugar as well.

Technically all oats are processed somewhat, since you are not buying it still on the stalk.

Steel cut oats are minimalling processed. Rolled or Old Fashioned are steamed and rolled for a softer texture, so a little more processed. Instant is processed a little more for quick cooking.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    yup
  • sheldonz42
    Options

I wouldn't mind that. I mean, at least organic actually means something.... but then again most people who use the word don't actually know what it means. So, yeah.

i am just trying so hard to end my grocery store quest for "inorganic" bananas that I can actually eat... if you know what I mean... "Chemicals" could be next on a list of most misused words perhaps?
  • jonnythan
    Options

i am just trying so hard to end my grocery store quest for "inorganic" bananas that I can actually eat... if you know what I mean... "Chemicals" could be next on a list of most misused words perhaps?

No inorganic bananas, but you can buy organic salt. And no I don't mean acetate.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

oh america.... lol
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    You're not cooking them are you??!!
    You're just supposed to nibble the grains off of the plants.

lol
  • sheldonz42
    Options

No inorganic bananas, but you can buy organic salt. And no I don't mean acetate.

It would be funny were it not so sad.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had this friend in high school who always ate those processed oats. His parents warned him against it and yet he continued. He said it gave him energy and was very filling. I never quite understood his obsession but years later I found out that he jumped off of a bridge and fell to his death. The thing is... he almost certainly had some unprocessed oats for breakfast that very day! Draw your own conclusions.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

It would be funny were it not so sad.

funny because from where I stand, the sadder thing is how many obese people there are in this country because they DON'T eat whole foods. And how many sick people there are in this country because they DO eat pesticide-laden foods.

just me though.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I would like to eliminate the word clean. Thanks.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    funny because from where I stand, the sadder thing is how many obese people there are in this country because they DON'T eat whole foods. And how many sick people there are in this country because they DO eat pesticide-laden foods.

just me though.

No one is obese "because they don't eat whole foods."
  • CoachReddy
    Options

just me though.

when you don't eat whole foods, you're eating processed foods. when you eat processed foods, unless you track your intake, it's extremely easy to overeat because your stomach doesn't relay that it's full until you've stuffed an insane amount of calories in your face, and if you're doing that, you will become obese.

it's much easier to become fat eating processed foods than whole foods unless you track your intake

the vast majority of people do not track their intake.

is it a direct causal relationship? no. is it a huge, huge factor? yes.
  • jonnythan
    Options

just me though.

when you don't eat whole foods, you're eating processed foods. when you eat processed foods, unless you track your intake, it's extremely easy to overeat because your stomach doesn't relay that it's full until you've stuffed an insane amount of calories in your face, and if you're doing that, you will become obese.

it's much easier to become fat eating processed foods than whole foods unless you track your intake

Dear god.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

just me though.

Dear god.

agreed.
  • sheldonz42
    Options

just me though.

As I have said before, cut carrots ARE processed. Thus Jonnythan's position on elimination of "processed" as it is misused...
  • CoachReddy
    Options

just me though.

As I have said before, cut carrots ARE processed. Thus Jonnythan's position on elimination of "processed" as it is misused...

haha the problem is people like you view the world in black and white where there are actually shades of grey.

a carrot that has been cut is far less processed than a pop tart. there is a gradient. and the less processed, the more nutritionally beneficial.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    haha the problem is people like you view the world in black and white where there are actually shades of grey.

a carrot that has been cut is far less processed than a pop tart. there is a gradient. and the less processed, the more nutritionally beneficial.

Anything that starts out with "the problem is people like you" . . .

Anyway. I've noticed this being a source of friction many times in the forum. It may be helpful to specify that you're referring to "heavily processed foods" or something to denote the gradient you acknowledge.

I think everyone here agrees that a pop tart is more heavily processed than a baby carrot.

I further think everyone would agree that the sugars and carbs in a pop tart are so simple that it provides a very quick feeling of satisfaction which is closely followed by low blood sugar. That this dip can cause someone a sensation of hunger that induces them to eat more.

Y'all knuckleheads AGREE, STAHP IT!