tattoos

tipadoo
tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
I've heard that tattooing is expensive - anyone know approximately how much for a fairly small calf tattoo? and how much did you pay for the large ones (out of curiosity)

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    You get what you pay for...depends on the artist. I'd say the range is anywhere from $50-100 an hour. The thing that people forget is that you are allowed to discuss the price...a lot of people just take a quote as a final offer.

But whatever you do, don't skip the tip! 15-20% of total tattoo price.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    depends on allot location (state, city, country), how well the tattoo artist is known, etc. However I would say a small piece maybe 2'' x 2 '' is about $100. Large pieces $150 per hour. Look in my profile pics I have a half sleeve it took more than 20 hours.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    It's different, depending on where you go.

My tattoo I have now is writing and it's about an inch tall and about 10 inches wide and it cost me $150. I'm getting another tattoo Sunday that is about an inch and a half by an inch and a half and it's going to be $25.
  • TwinkieDong
    You get what you pay for...depends on the artist. I'd say the range is anywhere from $50-100 an hour. The thing that people forget is that you are allowed to discuss the price...a lot of people just take a quote as a final offer.

let me ask, what does the tip have to do with anything? just curious.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Depends on the artist and where you go. Mine is about 3" wide X 2" high and the guy copied something for me. It cost me around $300 I think.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    If i was to get more tattoos i would be more concerned about the quality of the artist not the price of his or her work.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member

let me ask, what does the tip have to do with anything? just curious.

OP asked for pricing estimates, you DEFINITELY need to consider included the tip if you're trying to get an estimate, especially since it should be about 15-20%.
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Depends on the artist and where you go. Mine is about 3" wide X 2" high and the guy copied something for me. It cost me around $300 I think.

Exactly. It's going to vary. Depends on the colors and how complicated. Mine was copied too but fairly simple and only in black at about 5" X 4" and cost $60.
  • TwinkieDong
    ok what is the tip for? explain this to me. Why do I tip?
  • JustCallMe_Tanya_Eh
    JustCallMe_Tanya_Eh Posts: 954 Member
    It's different everywhere you go...they charge by the hour, so I guess it depends on the kind of tattoo you want to get
  • AZ_Gato

Don't tip bro...don't tip. Then go back and get a tattoo from the same guy.

: )
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Just had another tattoo on my arm (nearly half a sleeve now) so i know i can't do weight training till its heeled what about other exercise , i usually go on exercise bike and walk 9 miles a week i know it shouldn't damage it but what about it getting all sweaty? It shouldn't matter if i give it a good wash right? :)
  • TwinkieDong

LOL... when did this tipping become main stay? Granted I havent got tattoos in a long time 90's tipping wasnt even discussed then.
  • AZ_Gato

LOL... when did this tipping become main stay? Granted I havent got tattoos in a long time 90's tipping wasnt even discussed then.

I can't answer that man, all I can tell you is that I have a few tattoo artist friends that always talk about (and don't take this wrong) people like you that don't tip (whether because they are *kitten* or ingorant of this). I think it comes down to the artist's integrity though...I would think that they would want to do good work on you because that's their name on the line, but not all of them are upstanding homo sapiens.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    I got flames from my ankle to almost my knee it cost $400. It was done 14 years ago the oranges and reds are still super bright. I tipped $50.

Same artist did 2 other tattoos for me all about 14-12 years old. I still gave a $50 tip even though the other two were significantly smaller.
  • babynun
    babynun Posts: 120 Member
    Mine was $150/hr and I did 3 hours +tip. A larger flower tat from waist to shoulder blade, no color just shading.
  • rav52
    rav52 Posts: 495
    For my leg tattoo I paid $120 ...that included tip and was no color
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    <--- 20 hours at $125 per hour. Plus a hefty tip when it was all done. Why did I tip? My artist was *awesome*, he often undercharged me for each session, and I'd like him to do really good work when I go back for another one.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member

I can't answer that man, all I can tell you is that I have a few tattoo artist friends that always talk about (and don't take this wrong) people like you that don't tip (whether because they are *kitten* or ingorant of this). I think it comes down to the artist's integrity though...I would think that they would want to do good work on you because that's their name on the line, but not all of them are upstanding homo sapiens.

Do you not tip when you receive any type of service? i.e. hair cut, restaurant... it's the same thing. they all get paid wages, the tip is based on their skills/service that you received. the tattoo artist screws up your tattoo? no tip (hell, i'd try and not pay if it was all their fault lol). if they did something AMAZING and creative and out of the world and unique, why WOULDN'T you tip for this kind of service? I can't believe someone is asking this in 2013.