tattoos

Replies

• maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    If i was to get more tattoos i would be more concerned about the quality of the artist not the price of his or her work.
    ^^^ this

My friend actually does all my work now. She discounts the price for me, and won't let me tip her, but I send her business, so I guess it evens itself out.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    It depends where you go. You get what you pay for. It is expensive.

I just paid 180 for a 5 inch by 2 inch, give or take, portrait of a movie character. It came out amazing, but I could have gotten a crappy version for maybe 100.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    I got a tattoo on Valentine's Day, it's slightly bigger than a quarter, and it cost me $20 on special... I asked how much they would charge on any other day and she said $80..

My sister n law got a butterfly about 2" wide and 1" tall in Miami on the base of her neck and that was $120

I got my next tattoo quoted and it will be about the size of a softball on my shoulder $250.00
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    don't forget, not everyone on this site is american. tipping isn't expected in other countries and most tattoo artists i know set their own rates working more like contractors than employees.
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Don't go for cheap, go for talent!
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    My artist is $125 an hour.
  • aksmitty1981
    aksmitty1981 Posts: 75 Member
    Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good.

^ Exaclty what I was going to say.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    don't forget, not everyone on this site is american. tipping isn't expected in other countries and most tattoo artists i know set their own rates working more like contractors than employees.

I checked the profile first....I do use my noodle from time to time.
  • aksmitty1981
    aksmitty1981 Posts: 75 Member
    $100 - $120 an hour at the artists' descrection where I live.
  • sezziejm
    sezziejm Posts: 147 Member
    <---- Got this done on Monday.. cost £250... & it was a 10am - 5pm session
  • insane5150
    insane5150 Posts: 93 Member
    Here in Northern California.... for an excellent artist, going rate is between $150-$200hr. Some also work on a 2hr minimum to make it worth their time.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,412 Member
    In the Phoenix area, $100/hour is the going rate for a good artist at a reputable shop. Tipping isn't necessary but if your artist does a good job, show them your gratitude! Anything less than 20% seems cheap in my opinion. They are tattooing you, not bringing you food from the kitchen.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    ok what is the tip for? explain this to me. Why do I tip?

Don't tip bro...don't tip. Then go back and get a tattoo from the same guy.

: )

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I make sure to tip my hairstylist and tattooist well because if they do a good job (what is tip is generally for) you're going to want to go back to that same person and get the same type of standard thay have set.
  • AZ_Gato
    ok what is the tip for? explain this to me. Why do I tip?

Don't tip bro...don't tip. Then go back and get a tattoo from the same guy.

: )

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I make sure to tip my hairstylist and tattooist well because if they do a good job (what is tip is generally for) you're going to want to go back to that same person and get the same type of standard thay have set.

I've had one tattoo that took mutliple sessions, I made it a point to give a very substantial tip after first session. The guy was so happy with the tip that he actually lowered the price and sped up his tattooing time on me.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    The shop I go to in Mission Beach CA has rates of between $150 & $200 an hour.

The last piece I got took almost 4 hours and the artist charged me $400 which was the "Friends & Family" rate because I have know the shop owner since High School. I tipped the guy $150.

I'll probably go back for my last piece this summer. The Catalina Mermaid up the back of my left calf.

catalina-tile-mermaid-jeff-lowe.jpg
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Just go to your local prison, I'm sure you can get a good price there.
  • AZ_Gato
    Just go to your local prison, I'm sure you can get a good price there.

Dude, I've seen some awesome prison tattoos. And the ink that some of these guys smuggle in is top grade. That being said...if you're unable to pay in "duckets", you'll be paying with *kitten*.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good.

talk to the artist, see some of thier work , make sure thier style meets with what you want ,
    price is NOT the first choice, i have paid 160 for a large tattoo and i have paid 80 for an even larger tattoo.
    price is subjective, price doesn't = quality, quality doesn't=price.
    REMEMBER
    tattoo artists are
    1. Artists. unless you want something right from the book of flash , you are paying for talent
    2. most are renting a chair room or spot.
    3. most of the tattoo fee is set by the shop- the tip is just like a server at a restaurant, and goes directly to the artist
    4. trained via apprenticeship, a cheap tattoo doesn't ALWAYS = bad- i have a 9 inch tall bear on my back done by an apprentice which was only 120.00 (normally it would be over 300) it took longer, but i am an experienced canvas.

he has great talent and i would not hesitate to go back to him again, and one of my rewards when i get through this journey is a tattoo i have wanted for a while -- besides the point,
    get good work , not just fresh pictures of tattoos but healed tattoos, and you know what ASK PEOPLE around you who have tattoos where they got it . i never hesitate to recommend a good artist when i get stopped about my "sleeve"
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I don't think the OP has a problem paying for a quality tattoo, I think they were just trying to get a feel for how much that costs.
  • My artist charges $100/hr but if he really gets into the design he won't charge you for the extra time he puts in. Especially for repeat customers. Definitely don't forget the tip. You are paying for talent if you have a great artist. Not just any artist can pull off a tattoo. It takes skill.