gluten, soy & egg-free breakfast suggestions wanted

Options
Hi, I'm new here and I'm struggling to find ways to eat that will help me lose the 10 extra pounds I'm carrying on my belly mostly.
I am allergic to gluten, soy, and now eggs, one of my favourite food items and sources of protein. I'm seeing that eating fruit
in the morning will give me too many calories, so what to eat for breakfast. This is a huge dilemma for me, especially because
in earlier times losing weight was never a problem for me. Hellppp!

Replies

• matisse216
    Options
    Hi there,

I am gluten free as well, not for allergy's just for health reasons.
    I love having an egg in the morning so I understand how difficult that must be.
    Where abouts are you from?

Oats normally have gluten in them because of some crops they are grown with,
    But in the UK there are farms that make gluten free oats.
    Nairns is a good brand, but I would think there would be gf oats all over the place now.

They are quite filling, and you can make it with milk or water.
    Most of them are microwavable as well.

Milk does add extra calories, so I have about 80% water, 20% milk and then add some cinnamon and manuka honey to taste.
    I think this is about 180-200 calories and is quite filling.

gluten free toast is a good option as well.
    chuck some organic peanut butter on it or some tomato and cheese with some cracked pepper.
    Be careful with cheap cracked pepper, as coeliacs can have a similar reaction to it suprisingly!
    it is gf but something sets them off.

Thats all I can suggest, try have a look online for some ideas.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    GF toast with whatever - peanut butter, butter, jam, etc.
    GF oatmeal
    GF granola
    Yogurt
    Bacon
    Bacon
    Bacon
    Maybe sausage
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How about a protein shake with almond milk and either berries or a banana?
  • questermrk
    Options
    But how many calories are you aiming for? I agree with the suggestion of gluten-free porridge. I cut up a banana (you don't have to use the whole banana, if you don't want), adding that along with a tablespoon of peanut butter and it keeps me full for ages.
  • matisse216
    Options
    Oooh oh ooh oh oooohhh!!!!

I just remembered!

Kale smoothies!
    Best breakfast ever. The kale is sooooo healthy and yummy and is the perfect breakfast.
    I put it in my eggs as well... but.. your allergic so the smoothie will have to do!

I don't really record what I do but I'll do my best. Just alter it as you go.

Kale smoothie
    (serves 2-3) ... Halve the ingredients for single serving!

2 cups sliced kale, stems removed
    150 ml cloudy apple juice
    1 cup ice
    1 tbs manuka honey (optional)
    1 Banana,

Place ingredients in the blender and add water until it blends nicely!
    If your not watching sugar or want to skip the manuka honey, add the apple juice until it blends instead.

Throw in some berries (although it makes it go a weird brown colour)
    Or some kiwi fruit, avocado, carrot or spinach!

Don't let the green colour frighten you, it tastes so delicious and is very light and filling.
    Kale is also really low calorie, so i just keep adding it until it can't take anymore!
    Add more ice if you want it more chilled and thick.

If you can't buy kale, chard works as well although I really prefer kale.
    Unfortunately waitrose don't stock it spring/summer
    But tesco do!

Goodluck!
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    for the last couple of mornings i've stir-fried whatever vegetables are sitting in my fridge with some turkey chorizo.
    the variations for a breakfast hash like this (whatever meat + whatever veg) are nearly endless.
    also, if you use a good deal of vegetables, it's a HUGE plate of food for a pretty reasonable calorie count.
  • riesahp
    riesahp Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Matisse,

I live in SW Alberta, Canada; which part of Britain are you living in? I lived there many years ago and also carry a UK passport.

Thanks for the advice about oats. I like them too and have an organically raised variety. I'm just concerned about the calories.
    I've been a healthy eater all my life and recently have taken my portions down to smaller size, but I guess my age is working
    against me with the need to up my activity, in order to burn the fat. It's hard here for me in the winter when winds blow high enough to blow you down. Staying indoors without activity drives me crazy in the wintertime.

I'm staying off gluten free bread too, because of the carbs. There are many varieties about, but I'm better without it altogether. I find that eating it triggers my body craving more. It's often what one puts on the bread that is worse than the slice itself! This morning I made a green drink, with spinach, pineapple, pear, a bit of juice to get the blender going, green algae mix and a vitamin/mineral mix powder. It's filled me up nicely this morning all the way to lunchtime, without too many sugars or calories! Yayy!!
  • fergie918
    Options
    gluten free oatmeal is about 190 calories.
  • Crucifry
    Crucifry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try 3/4 of a cup of plain goat yoghurt with 1/2 a cup of blueberries, a tablespoon of hemp hearts and if a drizzle of hazlenut agave. Delish, pretty filling and around 200 calories : )
  • riesahp
    Options
    Hi Pamplemousse,

This almost spells grapefruit in French! Thanks for your suggestion about bacon. I would have thought it would be high in fat and
    calories, but I'll check it out.

I am eating yogurt with fruit, seeds and some nuts, all without salt and mixing it with some berries.
    Today I made a green drink in the blender with spinach, fruit (pear, pineapple, both fresh) and a bit of juice. Delicious.
    I just find I need variety in my diet. There's a problem for me with sausage: often they've got wheat in them as filler, along
    with too much salt. I ate a hot dog last night with no bun and was flabbergasted by the high sodium and caloric content; blew
    my diet for the whole day. I might need to leave enough time after supper to do a high intensity short workout, to lower the count!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Enjoy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fried rice
  • riesahp
    Options
    Hi Crucify,

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like yogurt, hemp hearts and have agave, but haven't used it. I don't mind yogurt plain though.
    I'm pretty new at this and so far, have been shocked by the caloric and/or sugar and/or sodium content of the healthy foods I eat.
    This is forcing me to find other options, which I don't mind, because I like variety in my diet. And I'm having to make a real turnaround on a lot of food items, while upping my exercise, which was very sluggish through the winter months.

Thanks again and if I can help you in any way, just ask,

Riesah
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try adding some beans for protein in the morning.
  • riesahp
    Options
    Hello Petitemort,

Hm Little Death. Is this what I think it is?

Anyway, I so appreciate your suggestions. I like variety in my diet, and I'm finding in these first few days online here, that the caloric, sugar and sodium content of foods are real eyeopeners for me. I've eaten healthily all my life, but being so inactive in the winters of SW Alberta is what is causing and keeping on the weight. I am glad to be doing this program; it's brilliant and my husband is also doing it and being shocked by the numbers like me!

If you think of anything else I might do or need some help yourself, please do write.

Riesah
  • riesahp
    Options
    Thanks Matisse,

Seems I was on your wavelength by making my green drink this morning. I'll try kale. Around here it can be a bit bitter, but I do eat it and like it a lot. I may try to grow some this summer. Thanks also for the recipe. You're brilliant!
  • riesahp
    Options
    Cool. Thanks a bunch.

I'm new around here, so is the meter under your share indicating you've lost 7 pounds?
    If so, congratulations!
    Hope I see that number soon.

Riesah
  • riesahp
    Options
    Thanks for your great idea; I'll try it.
  • riesahp
    Options
    Wow, Shirleygirl,

You're doing great! Thanks so much for the suggestion and for writing me.

Have a blessed day,

Riesah
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You might find that hot grains will satisfy you. I'm not an oatmeal fan, but I do like quinoa and millet. Try this one:

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-with-blueberries

The site has other good recipes too.

Good luck!