How to get my kid to run

Options
124»

Replies

• TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Don't make it about the running, rather than keep him busy and active outside the practice and games. Play with him outside, go to the park and away from sitting and playing video games.

Good Luck to you.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Don't make it about the running, rather than keep him busy and active outside the practice and games. Play with him outside, go to the park and away from sitting and playing video games.

Good Luck to you.

Consider Geocaching. All of my kids love it and it gets them outside and being active.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would definitely not push him to calculate the calories in what he's eating. At 10, that kind of thing doesn't translate the same and that can seriously set him up for body issues.

IF he's interested in it,' I've heard of zombie 5k runs, and also I have an ex-coworker whose kids (the same age as yours) really like the the color me rad 5k runs. I would bring it up and if he's not into it, don't push it.

He sounds like he's just got to grow into that belly, and if that's what the doctor said too, I'd leave it alone. (Boys can pack A LOT of food, my brother is 6'7'' and growing up could really shovel it down when he was going through a growth spurt! He was never fat either...:grumble: )
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    He can exercise all he wants but he's not gonna shed that weight if his eating patterns don't change. You should work on that… maybe start cooking healthier or encouraging him to not eat as much fast food but don't give him a complex. Maybe enrol him in a nutrition class!
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Maybe he doesn't like baseball.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My oldest son hates to run for exercise and is overweight - but loves sports and plays every sport yet continues to be overweight.

how can I get him to start running so that he can succeed? It is so bad that every time he gets up to bat he gets out unless he is walked...

He plays basketball and is much faster on the basketball court - but there is something about baseball that makes him run soo slow...and he gets so sad when he gets out...

If he plays basketball and baseball he already runs. You need to work on his diet with him and educate him on good eating habits. I'm assuming he eats what he wants when you aren't around.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My son found out you get a loot bag at most runs and that motivated him. I realize that I've paid for him to enter in the runs, and hence paid for the garbage in the loot bag, but I don't care. It's a great day out for the 2 of us and he gets a bag full of crap. Win/win.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Ask him to come with you on runs. Tell him to try it a couple of times, he may get into it. Sign up for local races together. My daughter wasn't really a fan of running either, until she started running with me. She always played soccer, but in the last few years, she started track, and is not one of her teams fastes sprinters. They just have to realize how much they enjoy it or that they are good at it, or that it can be fun! My daughter and I do races together. Mud runs, color runs, trail runs, whatever! Just do it together. Also, if he is athletic already, some of the problem is probably his diet. Which you CAN help with at home. I know you can't control everything a kids put in their mouth, especially at school or hanging with friends. But you can control what is in the kitchen and on the dinner table. My daughter loves the healthy food I make.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

He sounds like he's just got to grow into that belly, and if that's what the doctor said too, I'd leave it alone. (Boys can pack A LOT of food, my brother is 6'7'' and growing up could really shovel it down when he was going through a growth spurt! He was never fat either...:grumble: )

If the doctor isn't worried, don't push it!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I am fairly certain he must find food somewhere else since what I feed him can't keep him heavy.

Kids often go through pudgy phases. It might even be important for his growth. Listen to his doctor about whether or not it's a health issue.