Ddumb to drink 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to up calories?

Options

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine it would make a fast exit, 1 of 2 ways....

On popcorn sounds good, but if you've already done it, why are you asking?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    After talking with a dietician on here a while ago I did learn that the best thing you can do is to eat things in their most natural form as possible and oil is extracted from whatever it came from(seeds, nuts.. etc) so you can use some very sparingly but it's best to get the fats from the actual source itself so go for nuts as the others said and don't just eat peanuts please, there are lots of nut that have great benifits especially walnuts for their omega 3's. Eat avocadoes, oily fish like salmon, sardines, herrings etc.. sprinkle seeds on your meals, use full fat dairy as it has more vitamins than lower fat versions and eat the yolks of eggs since that is where the healthy fats and other vitamins are. Also plan ahead in the future too so you don't fall short of your calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd make myself a salad with some olive oil, vinegar and mustard for dressing. Even if it's just lettuce. It would be more tasty at least (I don't like pb).
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There are more pleasurable ways to get it (like dark chocolate, nuts, dried fruits, ice cream, peanut butter - eating 2Tbsp. of that is a lot tastier) but if you don't like eating it sounds okay. Olive oil *is* good for you, after all.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat nuts. At least they are a whole food with more to offer than just "fat" and calories. But to each his own!

That's the whole point of doing it. Healthy fat calories. Easy to drink.

I've done it plenty of times. I think most people looking to gain significant mass have done it. Doesn't taste great, but who cares.
    After talking with a dietician on here a while ago I did learn that the best thing you can do is to eat things in their most natural form as possible and oil is extracted from whatever it came from(seeds, nuts.. etc) so you can use some very sparingly but it's best to get the fats from the actual source itself so go for nuts as the others said and don't just eat peanuts please, there are lots of nut that have great benifits especially walnuts for their omega 3's

None of this has any factual basis. It sounds good, I guess, but it's not true. People come up with some crazy theories on here.

And why are people recommending PB instead? The whole point is EASILY digestible calories that are not filling. As in not PB. Peanut Butter is what starving dieters crave, not people who are struggling to eat more.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    My mom used to do that.
    if you aren't bothered by the taste and it doesn't upset your stomach, then I don't really see what harm there is.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat two tablespoons of peanut butter.

This, or a couple handfuls of cashews.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Can you put it on your greens instead, like a dressing? It's actually pretty healthy to to combine fats and greens as they work together to bring more nutrients into the body.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Why not fish oil? =)
    Mmm fish burps.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    I'd rather eat nuts. At least they are a whole food with more to offer than just "fat" and calories. But to each his own!

That's the whole point of doing it. Healthy fat calories. Easy to drink.

I've done it plenty of times. I think most people looking to gain significant mass have done it. Doesn't taste great, but who cares.
    After talking with a dietician on here a while ago I did learn that the best thing you can do is to eat things in their most natural form as possible and oil is extracted from whatever it came from(seeds, nuts.. etc) so you can use some very sparingly but it's best to get the fats from the actual source itself so go for nuts as the others said and don't just eat peanuts please, there are lots of nut that have great benifits especially walnuts for their omega 3's

None of this has any factual basis. It sounds good, I guess, but it's not true. People come up with some crazy theories on here.

And why are people recommending PB instead? The whole point is EASILY digestible calories that are not filling. As in not PB. Peanut Butter is what starving dieters crave, not people who are struggling to eat more.

OK then can you tell me which part is wrong? I don't mind ignoring the dietician if you know better..
  • sophiep90x
    Options
    I would much rather have 2 T of almond butter!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Shhhhhhhhtttt I would have had 2 shots of whiskey and some beer!!!!!!:drinker:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. You're a champ for just drinking it plain though... It doesn't sound appealing to me. :tongue:
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

OK then can you tell me which part is wrong? I don't mind ignoring the dietician if you know better..

There is nothing worse about eating things in their extracted form vs natural form. It's not even a clean vs dirty argument...just extracted vs whole food. This is especially true when in a calorie surplus (the guy is trying to eat more, not less) and daily nutrient requirements are almost certainly already met. At that point, it is only the macronutrients which matter. And there is absolutely no difference between the extracted form of energy vs the same form of energy in it's natural, whole food state.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I guess you can or have a handful of almonds/peanuts. Or some nut butter
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I need to up my calories. Having a tough time eating when I am not hungry. So just now, I downed 2 tablespoons of olive oil for a 240 cal hit. I looked through my macros for the past 2 weeks and I have some room to add fat and stay within my targets. I could add the olive oil to something I guess vs. a shot from the itty bitty espresso cup.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

1 med avocado is ~350 calories. Why would you down just pure oil?
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I would much rather have 2 T of almond butter!

OMG this. I loooove almond butter! :love: Have you tried Trader Joe's brand? To die for :)

Nothing wrong with this if you are honestly full and need more cals. Except the taste. But if you can handle it lol
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you generally have some kind of shake or other mixed up concoction throughout the day, I'd just throw a bit of olive oil in there in the future to get your extra good fats. But no, nothing dumb about it.
  • mockchoc
    Options

There is nothing worse about eating things in their extracted form vs natural form. It's not even a clean vs dirty argument...just extracted vs whole food. This is especially true when in a calorie surplus (the guy is trying to eat more, not less) and daily nutrient requirements are almost certainly already met. At that point, it is only the macronutrients which matter. And there is absolutely no difference between the extracted form of energy vs the same form of energy in it's natural, whole food state.

and where did I say don't do it? I just said next time plan ahead and try to eat it in it's whole form. I am not a person that is a fanatic about clean eating even though this site did make me start out that way till I learned about IFFYM. I would actually down some fish oil tablets instead as one of the guys just said if it come down to it like this. Omega 3's are what I would be after. Fact is when you eat things in their whole form.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the consensus here and say, yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Think about whether eating when you're not hungry is really a good idea, especially loading yourself with a huge dose of something you would never actually eat to feel satisfied. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It would be better to work the olive oil into the food you already eat, cook with a little bit extra or dress things you'd usually take plain. That way you can still eat according to your hunger and increase your calories more slowly to give your body (and your mind) a chance to adjust.

Don't worry if you didn't hit your goal for today, you can try again tomorrow. There really is zero point in forcing yourself to eat something gross when you're not hungry (unless you have a medical reason, of course).