DO YOU LOG HOUSEWORK AND GENERAL WALKING??

Options

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I log my walking as I generally walk 3.5 - 4mph everytime. I don't dawdle. :P and it feels like a workout, even 20 minutes to the supermarket!

Housework I don't log generally unless I'm doing a big clean through the whole house which doesn't happen often, just little bits here and there.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    No, its part of "normal activity".

I do count cleaning IF I do some heavy stuff like wash walls, wash rugs, buff the car...major activity that is on top of my normal cleaning.
    Logging normal walking you do, thats just silly.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit, so everything is taken into account. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't count cleaning. But I do for walking because I'm home with a 2 month old so when I do get out with her it is exercise for me. I should add that I have my settings at sedentary.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am set as active, so any housework I do on the weekends is part of that. Also if I duck to the shops is normal. However if I walk a couple of Ks to the next shopping centre , I log that. It's somewhere I would normally drive to. If I do any set exercise or extras with the kids, I do log that. Like playing on the skateboards or climbing at the park. We are talking low cal burns under general playground fun. I still am losing while maintaining , so will have to rethink when I hit my lower goal.
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yup. I log cleaning on my activities. I don't work and my activity level is sedentary. If I'm not working out at the gym then I'm pretty much inactive for the rest of the day. So when I'm doing a cleaning job, it's usually more than one hour of vacuuming, sweeping, moping, hauling, bending, scrubbing and sweat is pouring off me. I'd say that counts as a workout.
    yeah this is the exact same as me, thanks for commenting :-).
  • donnareadman7
    Options
    I use a Fitbit, so everything is taken into account. :)

I was thinking on getting one of these, ivemread loads of reviews but do you Think they are a good tool to get? Arenthey worth the money ?? Thanks for commenting :-)
  • donnareadman7
    Options
    No, its part of "normal activity".

I do count cleaning IF I do some heavy stuff like wash walls, wash rugs, buff the car...major activity that is on top of my normal cleaning.
    Logging normal walking you do, thats just silly.

I log walking out and about like going to yhe shopsnand things, I do t find that silly for someone who is very overweight as its better than sitting on my tush lol. Thank you for commenting :-).
  • donnareadman7
    Options
    No. I just log my workouts M-F and my walks on Sat & Sun.
    I have a fit bit though and that keeps track of all of the steps I take during the day.

1st of all WOW well done on your weightloss, I have that and more to lose. You should be mega proud of yourself.
    Secondly I've reading loads about fitibts, do you recommend it, and is it worth the price? I'm definitely thinking of getting one but ould like to hear from someone who had one rather than just reading reviews on them. Thanks for commenting :-).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to sedentary and I walk quite a bit, so I do log it. Cleaning, no--never occurred to me to log it as exercise.
  • bowmaster71
    bowmaster71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I log both. I clean an eleven room two story house everyday. Plus do walking work workouts on top of that. It is all calories burned. By the time I am done doing 60 minutes of cleaning i have a good sweat going.
  • 143_SMOOTHIES
    143_SMOOTHIES Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS LOG MY WALKING ANYWHERE AND I ALSO LOG HOUSEWORK..WHATEVER WORKS UP A SWEAT FOR ME IS A WORKOUT..EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS:laugh: :laugh: :smile:
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If it's something that is just a fact of life like housework I don't log it. I just set my activity level to lightly active.

Unless you are sedentary and couch bound I don't see the value.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i record things that get my heart rate up for a time period... like pulling weeds, trimming hedges.....cutting grass. heart rate monitor made me rethink...
  • CrazyDaisyMom
    CrazyDaisyMom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't because it's generally stuff I did when I was gaining weight or larger. Unless I'm walking to the store, or around town for a long time and it's far out of my ordinary day walking. I also don't count cleaning unless it's some Cinderella, hands on the ground scrubbing for two hours type cleaning, and that's only sometimes I'll log it. I don't need to really eat back all of those calories, and who says it's that accurate? I will log shoveling, mowing, and raking because that doesn't happen all the time, and it takes minimum of an hour to mow our huge lawn and when I've worn my HRM it's like 600+ calories burned. But I've seen people log everything from grocery shopping to cooking. I guess it's up to the person.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no, this is normal every day activity ....
  • chynekball3
    Options
    no but i was thinking about doing just that...we sure do alot of walking around the house 4 sure :)
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No, I see people that log preparing cooking too but I don't do log that either. Anything I did before didn't make me lose weight, it's just part of everyday life. I only log things I don't normally do or do deliberately, gym, planned exercise, walks etc. I'm going to Alton towers on Monday and will log a few hours walking as I'll be walking around for 5/6 hours (maybe jogging to get the next ride :P). I will also log the copious amount of food that I'll eat too :-/

I log every single calorie too and try and be exact with measurements, oil, spices, pepper, garlic used in cooking too. It really frustrates me when I see people log toast etc for breakfast but with no spread/ jam etc as it can add a couple hundred calories on during the day and you're a better person than me if you can eat dry toast. Or underestimate meat. I once saw someones diary with 20 calories worth of beef and they commented how much they enjoyed the steak they had for their dinner. I prefer to be honest, good or bad.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I went walking to get mascara last week....23km... took me 5 hours non stop walking.

WOW!! You REALLY wanted that mascara! :bigsmile: