400 cals in 20 minutes?!?

Options
13»

Replies

• CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you are pushing hard and keeping the heart rate up this is very doable. I can burn this amount in 20 minutes on a treadmill. Great job.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    From what I remember of tests done comparing the machine readout to the actual calories burned during the exercise time on the machine in a lab (you know all the sensors and breathing apparatus hooked up while the study subjects were exercising on the machine, ellipticals were one of the worst for over reporting. I would not trust that number especially since it does not have all your vital statistics (age, height, weight, sex) to help get that number closer.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    it most likely is wrong. mfp tells me I burn 1163 calories in an hr on the elliptical (I'm 285 lbs) but according to my hrm its around 420 in an hr. big difference. the machine gives me a number somewhere in the middle but its still off by quite a bit. go with your hrm
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Depending on your age, weight , sex, it varies....someone 225 pounds will burn way more than me in 20 min doing the same workout. Athletes could defenitely burn 400 cal in 20 min, its possible for alot of people.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Depending on your age, weight , sex, it varies....someone 225 pounds will burn way more than me in 20 min doing the same workout. Athletes could defenitely burn 400 cal in 20 min, its possible for alot of people.

An untrained person of 225lbs could not keep up the intensity to burn 400 calories in 20 minutes.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    :sad: My elliptical tells me a bit over 400 in 20 min. My HRM has it a bit under 200. Sorry! :sad: