Is it bad my daughter wants to shred?!?

Options
My 6 year old daughter keeps asking if she can do the shred. She's even gone to the extent of you tubing to find it?!?

Replies

• addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Safety-wise, if you keep an eye on her form she'd be okay.

However, what is her reason? Has she seen you and wants to be like you, or does she think she's fat?
    If it's the latter this could be a problem and I would definitely try to get to the bottom of it. Has someone said something to make her think that?
  • stephx4
    stephx4 Posts: 810
    Options
    I thinks it's because she's heard me talk about calories and needing to lose weight. :( she asked me if she'd lost weight this morning!!
    She's also said its fun and she enjoys exercise.
  • swaguilarbro
    Options
    I'd say humor her and let her "shred". It's great that she wants to be like you...Just don't let her get too crazy
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I thinks it's because she's heard me talk about calories and needing to lose weight. :( she asked me if she'd lost weight this morning!!

I commend you on being such an exemplary role model for your child. This is how it should be all across the world! My 12 year old son always asks "are you going to walk today? or workout? We can go around 7:30" I think is is great he wants to do what I am doing. I think he realizes I am doing this to be a better version of me and he appreciates it. Just make sure she gets the exercise part but also the importance of eating! EAT EAT EAT it is good to EAT! But you have to exercise to balance it out. Back when I was her age we did something similar to 30 day shred all the time but it was gym class everyday something that is lacking now lol
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If it is just her wanting to be like you I wouldn't worry too much. But I would tell her she's beautiful and doesn't need to lose weight, and explain about the other health benefits of exercise. Maybe try her with some fun dancing exercise. You can get Zumba routines on youtube, or if you type koo koo kangaroo into youtube there are dance routines aimed at kids that my class of 6 and 7 year olds love!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Im confused. Does you daughter need to lose weight? IS she concerned at her weight at 6 years old? IS it even safe for a 6 year old to do the 30 day shred?

Please explain because to me it sounds too extreme for a small child.

I know that my weight issued started at home. My mom was always on a diet.
  • 2FatToRun
    Options
    Im confused. Does you daughter need to lose weight? IS she concerned at her weight at 6 years old? IS it even safe for a 6 year old to do the 30 day shred?

Yes it is extreme for a 6 yr old child to want to exercise and be like mommy lol Plant her in front of the TV with some cookies and candies and go in the other room and hide while you workout in secret to save her from being FIT and HEALTHY lol
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You might want to change your language at home, saying that you need to get fit, rather than lose weight. That' what I do to prevent my kids getting unnecessary hang-ups from my attempts to be healthier. You can tell her also that she's welcome to do it (I'd say without weights) but that she gets fit from running around and playing outside, so she doesn't need to do a special routine the way mommy does.
  • Kst76
    Options
    OH OK!!! so the 30 day shred is not about dieting? How stupid of me.
    I guess thats why I asked.
  • Kst76
    Options
    Exactly.
  • Kst76
    Options

Yes it is extreme for a 6 yr old child to want to exercise and be like mommy lol Plant her in front of the TV with some cookies and candies and go in the other room and hide while you workout in secret to save her from being FIT and HEALTHY lol

Did I suggest for her to feed her kid cookies instead of promoting a healthy life style?
    wow
  • 2FatToRun
    Options

30 day shred is about exercising.....what you consume is about dieting. Two totally separate things but when accompanied together properly will help you reach the best results possible. She just said her little girl wants to do what she is doing exercise wise. She is too young to correlate weight loss with eating and exercise so she needs to be taught that. Starting by allowing her to participate is a great first step to introduce health and nutrition to her. Plus she will be able to eat more if she likes it and exercises with mommy. The goal is to teach them it is okay to eat and that eating can lead to fat loss coupled with exercise. She is setting her daughter up to never have an ED. Very smart mommy!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old daughter keeps asking if she can do the shred. She's even gone to the extent of you tubing to find it?!?

it's perfectly ok. she's just excited to be involved in the same thing you're doing. but she'll lose interest eventually and move on to being obsessed with something else. she's a kid. that's what they do. :tongue:
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys 17, 13, 12 and they ask me about my workouts and my eating. I think its ok to let your child(ren) know why you do what you do. However, I think it is good to let them know/learn that it is good to "get moving". If your child wants to do your shred with you let her try, but explain to her that she needs to take it slow and if she starts to feel sore that it is ok to take a break. Also, you could tell her that the shred is just for mom, but that sometime throughout the day you and her could go for a walk together and maybe throw in a little run. This would be teaching her how to be healthy in activity. I think at her age she just wants to be like you and spend time with you, so make it fun and at the same time let her know that mom needs to have somethings just for you. Good luck! Just don't let her over do or go to extremes and you should be fine
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options

I commend you on being such an exemplary role model for your child. This is how it should be all across the world! My 12 year old son always asks "are you going to walk today? or workout? We can go around 7:30" I think is is great he wants to do what I am doing. I think he realizes I am doing this to be a better version of me and he appreciates it. Just make sure she gets the exercise part but also the importance of eating! EAT EAT EAT it is good to EAT! But you have to exercise to balance it out. Back when I was her age we did something similar to 30 day shred all the time but it was gym class everyday something that is lacking now lol

This!

I am sure she is just copying you because she wants to be like you. Kudos for being such an example! :-) Give her a big hug and say yes. Just help her along and make it kid friendly. She will love exercising with you.

I am sure she is just talking about calories and weight loss to have a grown-up-like conversation with you. Just keep and eye on her. You guys are going to have a blast! ♥
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options

30 day shred is about exercising.....what you consume is about dieting. Two totally separate things but when accompanied together properly will help you reach the best results possible. She just said her little girl wants to do what she is doing exercise wise. She is too young to correlate weight loss with eating and exercise so she needs to be taught that. Starting by allowing her to participate is a great first step to introduce health and nutrition to her. Plus she will be able to eat more if she likes it and exercises with mommy. The goal is to teach them it is okay to eat and that eating can lead to fat loss coupled with exercise. She is setting her daughter up to never have an ED. Very smart mommy!

I'm not so convinced by your arguments. I don't think it's a problem to let her 6 year old do 30DS, but I don't think she should being led to the idea of needing to exercise to lose fat. At six, she should understand you exercise because it's fun and because it's good for you. If she needs specifics about why it's good, I'd stick with things like it helps your muscles get strong, it helps you sleep better at night and it's good for your brain to make your blood move fast around your body by moving your body fast. I would strongly suggest leaving out all reference to exercise and fat loss at this age.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely adorable. It actually makes me wish I had a child, and I have sworn I would have never have any.

I do the 30 Day Shred, and I'm sure that a 6 year old could do those exercises much easier than an adult could - just don't give her any hand weights. Think back to when you were a kid and the stuff you did then that you can't do now. I used to do kart wheels all the time - I haven't attempted one since I was about 11, and I doubt it would be very pretty now

While I agree about keeping looks and vanity out of the conversation, there is nothing wrong with discussing weight management with a child and why you are doing it for yourself.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You might want to change your language at home, saying that you need to get fit, rather than lose weight. That' what I do to prevent my kids getting unnecessary hang-ups from my attempts to be healthier. You can tell her also that she's welcome to do it (I'd say without weights) but that she gets fit from running around and playing outside, so she doesn't need to do a special routine the way mommy does.

Great advice
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My almost 17 year old daughter used to take martial arts classes. She was in the best shape and had a knockout body. Then suddenly, she quit the classes. She also likes to go eat fast food every day for lunch, as it is within walking distance of her high school.

Well GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? Yep, suddenly that rocking body of hers has gone soft and pudgy. And, yes, I TOLD her that is what will happen if you live on junk food 5 days a week.

Was I fat shaming her? Was I bullying her? NO, I was stating very clearly that what she eats affects her body, and that what she does for exercise prevents her from becoming fat.

She needed to know, and I love her enough to tell her like it is.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options

This is excellent advice :)