Alcohol

Options
I've been really struggling with my weight loss regime. I don't mind working out doing 45 minutes of Zumba every day, and I don't mind eating 1000 calories a day munching on fish and vegetables. I've never had a problem with doughnuts or pizza, my trouble is a nice bottle of wine at night. Does anyone else have this problem?

I feel like I'd be doing so much better and losing so much more weight if it weren't for the pointless 500 calories I consume when I cave in and can't resist a bottle of wine! Am I alone here or does anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    The idea (for me) is to have it one or two nights a week, rather than every night. Include it in your calorie count and exercise to kinda compensate for it. You'll be fine.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I indulge in the odd glass here and there sometimes more. I would like to give up but i enjoy it, I have a stressful job and life (midwife and 3 kids 2 with special needs) and it helps me unwind. I have cut down a lot as I used to drink every night now its mainly weekends. I keep saying i am going to have a alcohol free week/month but then I open a bottle to cook with and the rest needs drinking right. I am sure I would do much better if I cut it out but life is for living and the odd glass isn,t going to hurt just don,t make it every night. My diet is healthy other than this and I exercise often so I am not too worried.
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    3 months ago I felt exactly the same as you. Then I started logging and realised just how many pointless calories I was consuming. I decided to give up wine completely for Lent; not for religious reasons but because it is a recognised time for giving things up. I succeeded in not having a drink at all. Now that Easter is over I have proved I can manage without wine and don't think about it much. I allow myself a couple of glasses twice a week. Find other things to do in the evenings; just promising yourself you'll clear the ironing pile keeps you on your feet and away from the temptation!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I try and keep it in my goals and usually can. But I have a feeling I'd have better results if I pulled back...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Meh, if you like it that much, just work it into your day. I rarely drink less than 500 calories of alcohol a day, every day. I make up for it with exercise. So I eat my normal amount of calories per day, then my exercise takes care of the alcohol, more or less.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    You should clarify this: "...my trouble is a nice bottle of wine at night" If you're drinking an actual bottle of wine every night or multiple times per week, you might seek counseling as there are other issues not being addressed. If you are drinking a glass (or two at most) every night you need to determine what will bring you more happiness - a rockin' body or your glass(es) of wine.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    They way you put it, it sounds like a drinking problem. Are you REALLY drinking 7 bottles of wine a week?
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    no i'm not drinking a bottle of wine every night! just occasionally in the evenings, say once or twice a week, i'll ruin all my days work by wasting it on the empty calories of a bottle of wine.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    They way you put it, it sounds like a drinking problem. Are you REALLY drinking 7 bottles of wine a week?

That's my concern as well.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    no i'm not drinking a bottle of wine every night! just occasionally in the evenings, say once or twice a week, i'll ruin all my days work by wasting it on the empty calories of a bottle of wine.

So, how much are you actually drinking?
    I would still say a bottle "say once or twice a week" is a concern.
    A glass once or twice a week is more reasonable.
    The bigger concern to me is not being able to give it up more than empty calories.
  • Requiembell
    Options

So is it a glass of wine once or twice a week? A bottle of wine once or twice a week?

In any case consider wine to be like sugar because that is what Alcohol is basically. So, you have the same issue as a Mtn. Dew chugger.

It is fine if you plan and burn it, but if you make it a habit, it keeps your from reaching your goals.

Unlike sugar alcohol also slows your metabolism so it is a bit of a double whammy.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:
    "What are my goals, and how important are they to me."

Assuming that this is not a drinking problem, you have to answer that first. Then you make the plan to reach that goal.
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Last night I drank half a 1.5 liter bottle of Reisling. It would have been more but I had to share.

Just work it in to your calorie count and you'll be fine. I'm a huge advocate of taking the path of least resistance and when making lifestyle changes to make many subtle ones as opposed to drastic ones so that they kind of sneak up on you and are easier to stick with. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if completely cutting out wine would be a huge drastic thing for you, then don't feel bad about just making sure that the wine consumption stays below your calorie count. And if later you feel like you don't really need it anymore, then don't drink it anymore.

This is, of course, advice if your level of drinking is in normal limits. A whole bottle of wine every night is absolutely not normal. I can definitely see a whole bottle every so often (I'm definitely guilty of this), but not every night. If you are actually drinking that much, I would urge you to seek counseling.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

A bottle of wine really isn't that much to drink. It is equal to about 4 or 5 beers. Once or twice a week wouldn't be a big deal.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    I only drink once or twice a week now in moderation (99%of the time) otherwise I get really pissed off with myself
  • buffty
    buffty Posts: 83
    Options
    susank66 - you seem to be concerned a lot. it concerns me.

a bottle of wine every now and then is not cause for concern. as another poster pointed out, it's like 4 or 5 beers. i'm only talking about the empty calories being an issue.

but if you're really concerned about it, go cry to a therapist. see if he can remove the stick from your backside while he's at it.

everyone else, thanks for your helpful posts :)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

A bottle of wine really isn't that much to drink. It is equal to about 4 or 5 beers. Once or twice a week wouldn't be a big deal.

Not for you, maybe. But you must remember that OP is a woman and is probably on a lot fewer calories than you. Also, women have a much harder time metabolizing alcohol.
  • Requiembell
    Options
    susank66 - you seem to be concerned a lot. it concerns me.

a bottle of wine every now and then is not cause for concern. as another poster pointed out, it's like 4 or 5 beers. i'm only talking about the empty calories being an issue.

but if you're really concerned about it, go cry to a therapist. see if he can remove the stick from your backside while he's at it.

Wow. 4-5 beers two or 3 times a week isn't much either huh?

I am done here. Good luck.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Also, women have a much harder time metabolizing alcohol.
    Citation, please?
  • lindamhot
    Options
    I drink 3 glasses of wine every night, I just cut down calories in other areas. I would rather have my wine than eat .
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

One of the more interesting things I have read on weight loss and alcohol.