How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds?

Options
Hi :) I weigh 265 pounds. (My heaviest weight was 285 so I am down 20 pounds!) My goal for my birthday in July is to be around 235 pounds. And hopefully when school starts in late August be around 220 pounds.

How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds? How long should I exercise each day to lose the 30 pounds?

Replies

• DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    it took me 2 months to lose 30 lbs. I exercised 5 days a week, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour

Let me also add I'm 45 years old

I started at 196 Aug 3rd 2012 and on Feb 22nd 2013 I was 122

You can do it!!
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I went from just under 200 to just under 170 in about 5-6 ish months. I did 30-60 min of cardio 3-4 days a week in the beginning, but the last month or so not really any at all.

Unfortunately, I've gained it all back and them some, so here we go again :/
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    115 days, but I am 48 yrs old, so it comes off slower.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I weigh 265 pounds. (My heaviest weight was 285 so I am down 20 pounds!) My goal for my birthday in July is to be around 235 pounds. And hopefully when school starts in late August be around 220 pounds.

How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds? How long should I exercise each day to lose the 30 pounds?

I think 30 pounds by your birthday in July sounds realistic. That being said don't compare yourself to others.

Everyone is comfortable at a different deficit to TDEE. Instead focus on eating healthy, exercising and finding a deficit level that you can actually maintain. Its not a race. Take your time with a lifestyle you are happy with and the results you seek will come.
  • roni1179
    roni1179 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It actually did not take me very long to lose my first 30lbs which my doctor said that if I really commit to it, it should not! I did have to pick up quite a bit of a work out regime but what seemed to help was changing it up everyday. Not just on the treadmill and that was it but sometimes I would just swim or do strength training and cardio. I also looked at my food diary and saw what I ate the MOST it turned out to be processed food. It helps to be under caloried but a calorie is not a calorie. So I increased my lean meats cut out 90% of processed foods and dropped it with a snap. In three months! I recommend....don't rush it. Quick weight loss is not really great for long term effects unless you stick to the change and don't go back! GOOD Luck!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    About three months walking 5 miles a day 4-5 times a week.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    4 months to lose 31 lbs for me, my weight loss didn't really kick off until I started to exercise most days. I exercised with less intensity so that it was possible to do something every day
  • shonagf
    shonagf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started off at 222lb on 1st January, following the allowance for 2lb a week.
    I have lost as of yesterday 40lb.
    I'm 52 and have Lupus, so exercise is not so easy for me, but do Wii yoga three times a week, and work as a nanny to a 2 year old so pretty active.
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you should try to avoid setting time limits for yourself...it can just be too stressful! Just try to focus on making sure you're eating the right number of calories (according to you BMR and TDEE). I have found that that is the most important thing for weight loss...working out will help you to be more healthy and hopefully maintain more of your muscle mass as you lose the weight, but for weight loss, it's really all about how much you're eating.

But to answer your question, it took me 3 months, and I usually work out 5 times a week for about 45 minutes (doing HIIT, circuit training, and weights).
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    about 4 months, pacing about 2 lbs/week seems to be a good sustainable pace
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That's a hard question to answer because I think everyone is different. I did lose 30 lbs (some before MFP) and it took me about 6 months to lose because I wanted to lose it slowly so that it would stay off and so that the changes I made would become lifestyle changes rather than some crash diet.

How long should you exercise per day? I don't think it's about duration but rather about the efficiency of your workout and your calorie burn. I highly suggest getting a heart rate monitor (I have the Polar FT7) so that you can truly calculate your calorie burn. Often times the cardio machines at the gym or the database on MFP is an approximation...and can be off.

I think consistency is key. Be patient, work hard, create a slight calorie deficit and you will likely have success. Best of luck to you!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    4 months working out 6 days a week with taking 2 separate weeks off due to illness and injury.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Five months to lose thirty, four months to lose my last 10.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I started the end of September and so far have lost 34 lbs. So it took about 6 months for me :) But I am closer to my goal weight now so maybe it was slower in comparison to some other people :) Everyone loses at a different rate
  • etmorley1
    etmorley1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It took me 12 months to lose 30 lbs. I worked out 3 to 4 times a week for 60 mins each session. I wasn't that strict with my diet. Hope that helps. . But you need to take your nutrition and daily food intake seriously, my PT says, 90% of weight loss is done in the kitchen!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It takes people a different amount of time based on age (metabolism), weight (the more weight you are the quicker it can come off), height, exercise, body composition, etc. It also depends on how they're losing it. Weight training, and the weight you are losing will be mostly fat. Large deficits will have you losing mostly water at first, which will come back if you eat again. Sedentary deficits will have you losing a higher percentage of muscle instead of fat. For more advice on weight loss I suggest you take a look at this link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Took me abut 26 weeks or so...about 6 months. I was shooting for a Lb per week. I had bigger losses the first few weeks due to all of the water weight loss before normalizing to about 1 Lb per month. I'm still trying to reduce my BF% now, but I'm at a healthy % so I'm going really slow...1/4 - 1/2 Lb per week deficit and lifting.
  • sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Starting January 2, took me 3 months, although the first was more trial and error. First dropped the soda (sugar junkie) now mostly water, but once moved to cardio and strength, it seemed a more consistently drop of about 2lbs a week.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 30 pounds in roughly 3 months, or 12 weeks. That's 2.5 pounds a week, which is realistic. 3500 calories = 1 pound so you need to create a calorie deficit of 8750 calories a week (or average of 1250 per day) to lose that amount.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old. I started January 4 at 279.2 pounds and through wise food choices and exercise, yesterday I weighed in at 242.8 pounds--a loss of 36.4 pounds.