Is this what is known as binging??

Options
I'm on a reasonable 1450 calorie diet (started in January)
I have 8lbs to go to my ideal body weight, I'm losing about half pound a week.

The problem is that at night I have started blowing my calorie limit and once I start eating,
I just keep consuming. And not on junk, just extra laughing cow cheese wedges, 100 cal bags of popcorn or a whole bowl of sugar-free jello.
All that sadly adds up and I eat 400 more calories than I should be.
It's just that I seem so hungry!
So is this binging cuz I just don't seem to want to stop eating?

I'm getting discouraged and think maybe I should just quit the whole calorie restriction thing and just start eating whatever I want again (like a whole pan of brownies!)

Replies

• Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    yup
  • jenbrenica
    Options
    I had this problem before and I've figured out that I have to up my calories. I was on 1400 before but I've upped it to 1600 sometimes more(I'm only 5 ft and 104 pounds). It depends on your exercise levels as well. Listen to your body and give it what it needs.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Have you tried leaving more of your cals for the evening. I make sure to leave a large number of my cals for the evening when I know I will be at home relaxing.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into intermittent fasting if you prefer to eat in the evening.
    Alternatively, up your calories by a few hundred and see how you go. If it is boredom, rather than genuine hunger, then you need to find an alternative to eating. If it is hunger, genuine hunger(rumbling tummy), then you need to eat more. But many people tend to no longer be able to distinguish genuine physical hunger from mind hunger.

Also, binging is out of control eating, where you literally lose all control.
    A large majority of genuine binge eaters consume thousands of calories within a short space of time.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    1450 might not be right for your activity level; look at your TDEE again. Shoot for 100 cals more for a week, maybe?
  • calculustiger
    Options
    If it becomes a problem (as deemed by you), one possible solution is to get rid of the problem foods (without creating a bigger problem). For me, I got rid of most ready-to-eat foods. A good late-night snack could be 100 calories or so of seasoned veggies. Drink water, too!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Have you tried leaving more of your cals for the evening. I make sure to leave a large number of my cals for the evening when I know I will be at home relaxing.
    I HAVE to leave 500ish for after dinner, otherwise I binge. And I can eat thousands of calories in a very short amount of time. This is the longest I've gone without getting discouraged and going back to that behavior (since Janurary).
  • jazzy1a
    jazzy1a Posts: 39
    Options
    Very very helpful ideas--thank you so much!!
  • jazzy1a
    Options
    1450 might not be right for your activity level; look at your TDEE again. Shoot for 100 cals more for a week, maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion, I went back and redid my TDEE (-20%) and I should be at 1567....
    I think I'll still shoot for 1450 since I can't seem to stay at that anyway, sorta like setting my clock forward 15 minutes so I'm never late :)
    But I'll try to get as discouraged
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, I went back and redid my TDEE (-20%) and I should be at 1567....
    I think I'll still shoot for 1450 since I can't seem to stay at that anyway, sorta like setting my clock forward 15 minutes so I'm never late :)
    But I'll try to get as discouraged

Well, that's one way to go I guess. But you're pretty much guaranteed to keep feeling the way you do now: always annoyed, deprived, or eating over your goal. Hard to stay motivated like that, no? For me, regularly not making my goals makes me take them less seriously, too. (I'm playing with my settings a bit too, as my activity's changed.) Also, if you know you've got that extra 100 in the bank, you can have it before you work out, which will give you extra energy. Why not try it for a couple of weeks, and see what happens, in terms of behaviour, motivation, energy, etc? Up to you, obviously.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Well, that's one way to go I guess. But you're pretty much guaranteed to keep feeling the way you do now: always annoyed, deprived, or eating over your goal. Hard to stay motivated like that, no? For me, regularly not making my goals makes me take them less seriously, too. (I'm playing with my settings a bit too, as my activity's changed.) Also, if you know you've got that extra 100 in the bank, you can have it before you work out, which will give you extra energy. Why not try it for a couple of weeks, and see what happens, in terms of behaviour, motivation, energy, etc? Up to you, obviously.

I think this is pretty solid advice. I just upped my cals by 100 this past week, and I feel more energized and motivated. I feel like I can hit every workout harder.
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I second the idea of getting rid of the ready to eat foods. When I kept chips/ sweets/ granola bars in the house they would always tempt me and I would sometimes cave. (rarely though)

Now the quickest thing I can really get my hands on are steamer veggie bags.

It is still a process for me. I am learning the reasons why I would binge and I am hopefully working through them. I will slowly start to reintroduce some of those things back into my house and practice having a treat once in a while. Good for the whole lifestyle thing.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think bingeing is a personal thing, and it is whatever you call it. Like others have mentioned, I wonder if you are just too hungry at night. I know when I get too hungry, I grab for the first thing available, healthy or not (usually not). Then that sets off' "F it, I might as well pig out now."

If the 100 cal packs are too easy to binge on, don't buy 'em. I know that sounds too simple, but it is. I go through cycles where I can't seem to resist certain snack foods. Goldfish, mmmmm. Sometimes croutons. Double mmmmmmmmm. So I go a month or so without buying them. I can the usually go back to getting them without miseating them.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

^^^ this

Oh yes, also this. I usually don't eat breakfast until after noon for this reason.
  • ednaflores619
    ednaflores619 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Could it be that there is something specifically that you are craving and not allowing yourself to eat it? When we do that, many of us eat everything around it because we have not satisfied our craving, and end up consuming more calories than if we just eat what we craved.
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Funny you should bring this up..a coworker and I were just talking about this today..you do fine all day then one day, always at night you start to eat and can't stop..this can't be coincidental..there has to be some physiological reaon behind this..I'll be interested to read all the responses.
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    From your post it sounds like blowing your calories at night is a recent development. I would check your diary and see if anything new has popped up in it that is triggering the overeating. I went crazy this week, and had to do a ton of extra exercise to make up for my out of control eating. I checked my diary and sure enough the common theme was the Chex mix I had made for my daughter's birthday party. Just a bit of that and I lost it for the rest of the day. Three days in a row. I got rid of the mix and will not be making any more. Best of luck to you. :smile:
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad I had a girl scout cookie meltdown the other night... and enjoyed every bite.....sometimes you will need to up your calories..I did very well for weeks but really needed to up my caloric intake to something a lot more reasonable than the 1370 I have been on...hang in there up it a bit and get back on the pony!!
  • jazzy1a
    Options
    I think bingeing is a personal thing, and it is whatever you call it. Like others have mentioned, I wonder if you are just too hungry at night. I know when I get too hungry, I grab for the first thing available, healthy or not (usually not). Then that sets off' "F it, I might as well pig out now."

If the 100 cal packs are too easy to binge on, don't buy 'em. I know that sounds too simple, but it is. I go through cycles where I can't seem to resist certain snack foods. Goldfish, mmmmm. Sometimes croutons. Double mmmmmmmmm. So I go a month or so without buying them. I can the usually go back to getting them without miseating them.

Should I just get rid of everything in the house? Cuz it is not junk food (there is none here) but rather just food, cheese, meat, eggs, fruit, and jello...