Gym teacher makes 9th Graders do Insanity Workout

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
Just found out that my friend's daughter who is 14 years old had to do an Insanity workout at school this past Friday. Apparently the gym teacher made all the students do this very demanding workout. This is crazy especially since this is a workout program for people 18 years or older. The teacher didn't even ask the parents permission to teach this workout program!!

As you can imagine the kids were struggling after 2 minutes of doing Insanity. Also the teacher plans to do more programs.

Don't get me wrong kids needs physical activity but extreme programs are not appropriate for kids.

My friend is going to meet with the principal of the school to discuss this issue.

Are there any parents out there who kids are doing Insanity or P90X in school?

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Options
    Bump
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My son is in 7th grade(13 years old) and does Insanity everyday in P.E. :/
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Geez, whatever happened to teaching kids how to play basketball, floor hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc.? It seems to me like their PE teachers are slacking in their curriculum design. While not all kids are great at sports and sure, you will get kids that prefer to do as much standing around as possible rather than participating, you can make 'em do laps! That way, your course at least encourages physical activity without falling back on high-intensity mass-marketed workout videos (that aren't really approved for anyone under 18).
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I agree P.E. teachers should design a workout program that is suitable for kids. Doing Insanity or P90X is ridiculous especially without the parents contest.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What part of the program do you disagree with?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I was in middle school, we did Tae-Bo workouts. Not exactly on the same scale as insanity, but still an intense workout non the less for middle schoolers.

Frankly, I'd rather see kids doing Insanity, then I do taking away gym in favor of academics. Plus if kids are in sports, I'm sure they do some form of polymeric training or weight lifting... just not to the extent of Insanity.
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably more of an exposure to different types of workouts and less an exercise program. I am really hard on teens because they are are hardy bunch. You should definitely complain if they are doing something dangerous not if it a lesson in exposure or as part of series. Most kids are NOT going to push themselves like adult will. They will compete with each other but not really push themselves unless they really have to.

To be honest most 14 year old youths are going to protest most forms of exercise. Most don't even like to change for gym.

To them, sports and normal games may seem childish. Also, student themselves are curious about are different types of alternative workout out there and its the PE teacher job to expose them to wellness they can take with them outside of school.

What if the teacher taught them zumba next week or did swimming after that and your youth hated dancing and did not want to mess up their blowout and so told you how "hard" this class was? I think flag football is quite violent but I am not going to pull my kids out of PE class. It's good to expose them. Fitness and being physically active is something that is NOT normal for today's kids. It's not like it was when I was younger.

I think being exposed to different types of exercise is not bad thing and will not hurt your youth. I am pretty sure that that PE teacher was likely just exposing youth. Usually doing something 3-5 times is really the only way to find out if it works for you.

Jumping to complain right away might only teach your youth that if they wine enough...mommy and daddy will get them out of them pushing themselves. I would make the suggestion to speak to the PE teacher about the rational of doing this type of work out and I also follow up with your youth about why they did not participate or their feelings on it.

If you truly feel you understand the situation and rational and still feel the teacher is truly doing something uncalled for then DEFINITELY take it to principal.

I hope this makes sense....:flowerforyou:
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    I WISH i could do Insanity at school. It's better than sitting around just goofing off.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    They have probably banned team sports in most schools because its not fair for the kids that aren't good at them (stupid rules of parents who's kids are nonathletic) ... So they are forced to try to do something new, and because some states have banned physical fitness testing because its not fair, and running because some kids cant and its not fair, i think this teacher is taking a chance on doing something good for these kids, and soon that will get banned to and PE will turn into social hour with one flat dodge ball that isn't allowed to be thrown because some kid might by chance get hit and think they are being targeted by a bully and the school will have to close down. END RANT sorry I am not a parent yet so I cant fully understand the whole making sure everything is fair for your kid, but I think its also important that kids learn lift isn't fair, and just because one kid isn't good at something doesn't mean every other kid has to miss out on it.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Geez, whatever happened to teaching kids how to play basketball, floor hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc.?
    All the kids got fat doing it...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 13 and runs 7th grade track. They began their conditioning practices with Insanity. I had no problems with it at all. In fact, my daughter was very proud of herself for doing it. I see no problem with kids doing Insanity as long as they are monitored and not made to feel bad if they can't keep up with it at first.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with this as long as the kids are closely monitored. I told my principal I would conduct workout for the kids in ISS if he's liked. He declined but he himself does insanity so I have to wonder what he was thinking.
    Todays children do not get near the exercise we did when we were kids. I say go for it.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't bother me if my son was doing Insanity or some other intense PE class. I don't have firsthand experience with Insanity, so I can't be sure of what the workouts are like, but I doubt it's too much for a teenager to handle.

Like someone else asked, I'm also curious what the problem is, exactly?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I agree P.E. teachers should design a workout program that is suitable for kids. Doing Insanity or P90X is ridiculous especially without the parents contest.

Really? They have weight lifting as a competative sport in High school. Is that not "suitable" for kids. And honestly, I am glad that the P.E. programs are shifting to a more fitness related approach. Honestly, how many kids continue playing kick ball past high school? How many kids do you think would take fitness (weight lifting, cardio, etc...) and continue it on past high school? I am going to think you will have a lot more kids continuing on with the fitness rather than the kick ball. I hope that teacher get P.E. teacher of the year for that. It is obvious that they are taking what they supposed to teach seriously and get the children involved.

And honestly, I would think at school would be the best place to teach it. My P.E. teachers were also physical trainers, meaning they were the PTs at all the games. So you have PTs and nurses at the school in case anything goes wrong.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Considering how little physical exercise kids get nowadays and rampant childhood obesity, they probably need something like Insanity in PE.

Not really sure what the complaint is here. You want to give consent for your kid to do something more than LOLJUMPINGJACKS?

I complained about the jumping jacks and windmills when I was in PE. I complained about field day. I would have complained about Insanity. Hell, I complained about having to sit outside on the bleachers while watching the other kids do crap. Why? Because I was a teenager and complaining about everything it what teenagers do.

Hopefully, your kid will get something out of that program other than your whining.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably more of an exposure to different types of workouts and less an exercise program. I am really hard on teens because they are are hardy bunch. You should definitely complain if they are doing something dangerous not if it a lesson in exposure or as part of series. Most kids are NOT going to push themselves like adult will. They will compete with each other but not really push themselves unless they really have to.

To be honest most 14 year old youths are going to protest most forms of exercise. Most don't even like to change for gym.

To them, sports and normal games may seem childish. Also, student themselves are curious about are different types of alternative workout out there and its the PE teacher job to expose them to wellness they can take with them outside of school.

What if the teacher taught them zumba next week or did swimming after that and your youth hated dancing and did not want to mess up their blowout and so told you how "hard" this class was? I think flag football is quite violent but I am not going to pull my kids out of PE class. It's good to expose them. Fitness and being physically active is something that is NOT normal for today's kids. It's not like it was when I was younger.

I think being exposed to different types of exercise is not bad thing and will not hurt your youth. I am pretty sure that that PE teacher was likely just exposing youth. Usually doing something 3-5 times is really the only way to find out if it works for you.

Jumping to complain right away might only teach your youth that if they wine enough...mommy and daddy will get them out of them pushing themselves. I would make the suggestion to speak to the PE teacher about the rational of doing this type of work out and I also follow up with your youth about why they did not participate or their feelings on it.

If you truly feel you understand the situation and rational and still feel the teacher is truly doing something uncalled for then DEFINITELY take it to principal.

I hope this makes sense....:flowerforyou:

this. Except i really hope the kids't don't wine ;)

I hated PE. Hated it, it wasn't fun, it wasn't challenging, I sucked at most of it and I skipped it as often as I possibly could. Except for the times when the class consisted of walking to the donut shop and back. Because, really, that happened.
  • Topsking2010
    Options

I agree kids need a workout program but Insanity is for adults.

The school should have informed the parents about the program and requested permission to participate.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My brothers both did P90X in high school, but they did them after school as part of their JROTC and wrestling workouts. PE class for me in high school 10+ years ago was a joke. I would've loved to do Insanity or at least something that got us to sweat during the class time.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to see the general consensus on here supporting the teacher. PE is such a joke today. as much as it was when I was in it 30 yrs ago. The teachers don't want to be there. the kids don't want to be there. My son is spec ed and he sits in the stands and watches the boys play dodgeball while the girls stand around talking. Some days they literally sit on the gym floor the whole time doing nothing. Kudos for a teacher who is actually getting the kids into an active program that they can continue thru HS. Perhaps the obesity rate will go down in that school.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

I agree kids need a workout program but Insanity is for adults.

The school should have informed the parents about the program and requested permission to participate.

Same thing could be said about weight lifting, but they still teach it. It is not -FOR- adults. You have to be an adult to buy it. You seem to think that kids won't be able to do it, or can't do it. I would like to see some kids doing Insanity next to you, would probably show you up.