I need the TDEE method folks to come out of the woodwork

Options
WDEvy
WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
I've been toying with the idea of setting my cals at TDEE minus a cut for a while now.

I understand the way it all works and that's all good BUT

When I calculate my BMR I get a HUGE difference depending of the formula I'm using and that creates a difference in my TDEE of over 700 calories!

If I calculate BMR with the Harris-Benedict formula I get 1726 but with the Katch-McCardle I get 1502 ( using the fat2fit military body fat % calculator.

In return that puts my TDEE anywhere from 2200 to 2926

There's a major difference between taking a cut out of 2200 or out of 2926

What are you using? Help?

NB: I have not been using MFP settings. I manually set my own cal goals and I've been eating between 1400-1600 for the past 7 months with macros set at 40-30-30 and I'm losing steady since day 1 with an average of 1.4/week.

Replies

• TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    If what you are doing now works, why change? You are enjoying a steady weight loss that would make most people envious.

However, if you do make a change I wouldn't rely on a body fat % calculator for the TDEE calculation. There are many variables and the military charts are very far off from reality, especially for women. Have your BF% checked by someone experienced in using calipers.
  • dncyng
    dncyng Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey congrats on losing 41 lbs!
  • WDEvy
    Options
    Hey congrats on losing 41 lbs!

Thanks!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Katch-McCardle is more accurate because it factors in lean body mass and body fat. use that number.

Remember, all of these calculations are estimates and may require some adjusting along the way.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    TDEE-20% is great, works flawlessly for me.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if your body fat percentage is above the healthy range (35%+) then Harris Benedict is the more accurate of the two. If your body fat percentage is already in the healthy range, but you have more lean body mass than average, then Katch McArdle is the more accurate one. This is based on how the formulas themselves work.

Bear in mind that all formulas can only give an estimate, ultimately you have to look at your real world results and base your calories on that. For example if a formula predicts someone would maintain at 2000 calories, but they try eating that much and are still losing, they should at 100-200 calories and see how that works (i.e. are they maintaining now or still losing). So it ultimately comes down to the fact that the formula gives you a good starting point, it works for a lot of people, but if your real world results don't match the formula, then add or subtract 100-200 calories and try again. For the vast majority of people, the calculators are not very far off, so long as you use the best one for you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Katch-McCardle is more accurate because it factors in lean body mass and body fat. use that number.

That's what I thought until someone on this site explained how this formula works.... i.e. that it adds on a set amount for body fat, which is an average. It underestimates the right amount of calories for someone with a higher body fat percentage. (fat cells burn calories too, just not as many as muscle cells, hence the need to consider both lean body mass and how much fat you're carrying to be able to calculate BMR and TDEE)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I use the user- "heybales" spreadsheet, which I believe uses an average of several methods depending on your measurements....

run a search for "TDEE spreadsheet" and you should come up with it.....download and fill in all the yellow boxes.

Best of Luck. :smile: It has worked beautiful for me and I wish I had found it earlier in my weight loss journey.

try this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    To the OP, you are doing great. Any calculator is just an estimate based on statistical averages. It seems you have found your own sweet spot for losing consistently on your own and it has been working well for you.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Just my opinion.

Again, congratulations on the weight loss so far. :smile:
  • Shrynkabelle
    Shrynkabelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to this, but on the Eat More 2 Lose Weight group, they recommended this calculator;
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss
  • WDEvy
    Options
    TDEE-20% is great, works flawlessly for me.

TL;DR?

Glad it works for you. It wasn't the question though
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    For sure get your BF% professionally checked (most gyms have someone who can do it for a small fee).

I'm assuming you're tired of feeling hungry/deprived with your current calorie goal? I used to be only 1200/day and have lost significantly more since I started upping my cals to my TDEE-20%. Also my energy levels during workouts are WAY higher, which is great!

I also have pretty good calipers and a willing husband who takes my measurements every week. I calculate my TDEE around 2200-2300 on any formula, and I'm pretty active with running/weight training 6 days/week and walking everywhere. I still log my exercise (though I technically wouldn't have to), but don't attempt to eat back any calories unless I've had a really intense workout.

Plus, the calculators can only get you so far. I would say if you're wanting to start doing your nutrition planning this way, start upping your calories a little bit at a time (50-100 cals/day per week) until you see where you're comfortable. That way your body gets used to it and you probably won't see a jump in weight gain at first. And if you're eating more calories, make sure they're not empty ones. You can up your calories with a cupcake every day, but that's not going to get you what you're looking for...lol. (That being said, you can still have some delicious-but-not-for-everyday-consumption things! I definitely ate half a pizza yesterday and was still down this morning.)

And congrats on your hard work so far!
  • WDEvy
    Options
    if your body fat percentage is above the healthy range (35%+) then Harris Benedict is the more accurate of the two. If your body fat percentage is already in the healthy range, but you have more lean body mass than average, then Katch McArdle is the more accurate one. This is based on how the formulas themselves work.

That's actually pretty helpful. Thank you!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea of setting my cals at TDEE minus a cut for a while now.

When I calculate my BMR I get a HUGE difference depending of the formula I'm using and that creates a difference in my TDEE of over 700 calories!

If I calculate BMR with the Harris-Benedict formula I get 1726 but with the Katch-McCardle I get 1502 ( using the fat2fit military body fat % calculator.

NB: I have not been using MFP settings. I manually set my own cal goals and I've been eating between 1400-1600 for the past 7 months with macros set at 40-30-30 and I'm losing steady since day 1 with an average of 1.4/week.

You can figure out your own TDEE from the info you gave here. If eating 1500 per day leads to 1.5 lbs per week weight loss, you are at a 750 cal deficit per day so your TDEE is 2250.
  • WDEvy
    Options
    For sure get your BF% professionally checked (most gyms have someone who can do it for a small fee).

I'm assuming you're tired of feeling hungry/deprived with your current calorie goal? I used to be only 1200/day and have lost significantly more since I started upping my cals to my TDEE-20%. Also my energy levels during workouts are WAY higher, which is great!

Nope actually I'm really not. I'm eating within my macros mostly clean food and I'm never hungry ( except on weekends but that's because of my work schedule that doesn't allow me to actually eat while I work) or tired and I work out 7 days a week - with 2 of those days being very light cardio ( walk, bike) to rest-

I wouldn't be able to live on 1200, that's why I set my own goal.

I'm mostly worried about LBM lost in the long run. I do lift but nowhere near often enough ( I LOATHED it but I know it needs to be done)
  • ColleenRoss50
    Options

You can figure out your own TDEE from the info you gave here. If eating 1500 per day leads to 1.5 lbs per week weight loss, you are at a 750 cal deficit per day so your TDEE is 2250.

^^^^
    Exactly.
  • WDEvy
    Options

Never seen it that way.:embarassed:
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have given up on this. It has never worked for me. I was trying it again recently, but as I was going through my food log notebook, I saw that the last time I did this for a few months actually, I only gained weight. I assume it is because I must have something going on that makes my body hang onto fat no matter what I do. Oh well.
  • ColleenRoss50
    Options

Never seen it that way.:embarassed:

As the other poster indicated, you already have all the information you need. If you wish to slow down your weight loss a bit due to concerns about lean body mass, I would suggest just bumping your average calorie goal up yourself based on what you already know. In my opinion, the best way would be to do it gradually by bumping it up by say 100 to 150. Then wait for 3 weeks or so to see how it is going and then make further adjustments if desired.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have given up on this. It has never worked for me. I was trying it again recently, but as I was going through my food log notebook, I saw that the last time I did this for a few months actually, I only gained weight. I assume it is because I must have something going on that makes my body hang onto fat no matter what I do. Oh well.
    I doubt your body has something that makes it hang onto fat no matter what. :tongue:

The TDEE method is not an exact formula, as others have said. Rather that giving up on it after a month or two and not seeing results, I'd try adjusting calories down by 100 or so, and give it more time. It's calories in/calories out, and a matter of finding the right number, using the calculators to get the estimates as close as possible, and adjust if/as needed.

I've been eating this way for over a year and had my best results during that time. And I can follow this plan for life - it's so easy and fits into my lifestyle, no "on and off" dieting. :drinker: