I need the TDEE method folks to come out of the woodwork

Options
2»

Replies

• holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can figure out your own TDEE from the info you gave here. If eating 1500 per day leads to 1.5 lbs per week weight loss, you are at a 750 cal deficit per day so your TDEE is 2250.

Never seen it that way.:embarassed:

this is exactly how i do it... Works perfectly!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have given up on this. It has never worked for me. I was trying it again recently, but as I was going through my food log notebook, I saw that the last time I did this for a few months actually, I only gained weight. I assume it is because I must have something going on that makes my body hang onto fat no matter what I do. Oh well.
    I doubt your body has something that makes it hang onto fat no matter what. :tongue:

The TDEE method is not an exact formula, as others have said. Rather that giving up on it after a month or two and not seeing results, I'd try adjusting calories down by 100 or so, and give it more time. It's calories in/calories out, and a matter of finding the right number, using the calculators to get the estimates as close as possible, and adjust if/as needed.

I've been eating this way for over a year and had my best results during that time. And I can follow this plan for life - it's so easy and fits into my lifestyle, no "on and off" dieting. :drinker:

Yes, you are 100% right. We are all the exact same and there are no variables between humans. What I meant to say was, mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have given up on this. It has never worked for me. I was trying it again recently, but as I was going through my food log notebook, I saw that the last time I did this for a few months actually, I only gained weight. I assume it is because I must have something going on that makes my body hang onto fat no matter what I do. Oh well.
    I doubt your body has something that makes it hang onto fat no matter what. :tongue:

The TDEE method is not an exact formula, as others have said. Rather that giving up on it after a month or two and not seeing results, I'd try adjusting calories down by 100 or so, and give it more time. It's calories in/calories out, and a matter of finding the right number, using the calculators to get the estimates as close as possible, and adjust if/as needed.

I've been eating this way for over a year and had my best results during that time. And I can follow this plan for life - it's so easy and fits into my lifestyle, no "on and off" dieting. :drinker:

Yes, you are 100% right. We are all the exact same and there are no variables between humans. What I meant to say was, mecca lecca hi mecca hiney ho.
    Yeah, that's what I said, it's an exact formula and we're all the same, so you should eat exactly like me. :huh:

No wait, it was the word "NOT" before "exact", and the words "make adjustments", which you wouldn't need to do if we were all exactly the same, would we? [/sarcasm]

So are you trying to figure out the "something that makes your body hang onto fat no matter what you do", or have you just given up? :tongue:
    Options

Yeah, that's what I said, it's an exact formula and we're all the same, so you should eat exactly like me. :huh:

No wait, it was the word "NOT" before "exact", and the words "make adjustments", which you wouldn't need to do if we were all exactly the same, would we? [/sarcasm]

So are you trying to figure out the "something that makes your body hang onto fat no matter what you do", or have you just given up? :tongue:
    Yes, something medical. Though you seem to put any ideas like that in the trash without thinking about it first. BUT that's the MFP way afterall. We all came out of a big fat cookie cutter. Anyway, there ya go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

Yes, something medical. Though you seem to put any ideas like that in the trash without thinking about it first. BUT that's the MFP way afterall. We all came out of a big fat cookie cutter. Anyway, there ya go.
    Again - you're putting words in my mouth that I did not say. Cookie cutter? Hardly. But whatever - my intention was never to be snarky towards you, not in my first post anyway, so apologies if that's the way I came off, but I felt like the snark came from you first.

Your initial comment of "must be something going on that makes my body hang onto fat no matter what. Oh well." didn't come across as a "i think I might have an underlying medical issue that is keeping me from losing and I'm trying to figure it out" so much as a "I give up, nothing works" type of post, which we see here all the time - which could be said is the "MFP way".

In my time at MFP, this is the first time I've ever had anyone call me anything but helpful when I've offered advice or stated what's worked for me. I hope you do figure out whatever it is that is hindering your weight loss, and that's it's an easy diagnosis and fix. :flowerforyou:
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    95%+ of us are NOT special snowflakes. Try TDEE, be honest about what you're eating and how much you're moving and THEN if the scale isn't budging, the inches aren't dropping, go to a doc, there could be more at play.

BUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT for the general population TDEE-20% will work splendidly if you follow the few things I just mentioned.

BRB, going to go eat some more spinach... hope I don't get gout!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    bumping this so I can read it later
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OP, I've been using fitnessfrog.com, lightly active and that is with me working out 1-2 hours for 3-7 times a week to determine my TDEE. It is important to remember that working out doesn't make you active, active is for people who are on their feet for most of the day moving around at work, not sitting for most of the day.

I created a 1lb per week deficit from that TDEE, when I follow it, it works like magic.
    Options

Again - you're putting words in my mouth that I did not say. Cookie cutter? Hardly. But whatever - my intention was never to be snarky towards you, not in my first post anyway, so apologies if that's the way I came off, but I felt like the snark came from you first.

Your initial comment of "must be something going on that makes my body hang onto fat no matter what. Oh well." didn't come across as a "i think I might have an underlying medical issue that is keeping me from losing and I'm trying to figure it out" so much as a "I give up, nothing works" type of post, which we see here all the time - which could be said is the "MFP way".

In my time at MFP, this is the first time I've ever had anyone call me anything but helpful when I've offered advice or stated what's worked for me. I hope you do figure out whatever it is that is hindering your weight loss, and that's it's an easy diagnosis and fix. :flowerforyou:
    I never put any words into your mouth. I made a simple comment and you flourished the meaning in your imagination. Bibbidi bobbodi boo.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I never put any words into your mouth. I made a simple comment and you flourished the meaning in your imagination. Bibbidi bobbodi boo.
    :huh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry,
    MalloryKnoXrox, I just can't compete with your incredible cartoony comebacks from PeeWee's Playhouse and Cinderella. You win - I'm a huge twit who came in here and said we're all exactly the same, the cookie cutter formula works for all of us, and if you're not just like me you're doing it wrong. It's all right there in my posts.

:smokin:

OP - so sorry for having hijacked this thread with this ridiculous "conversation", certainly wasn't my intention. Apparently trying to be helpful is a crime to some folks! And the ignore button is a beautiful function of these message boards! :wink:

Carry on!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I decided to disconnect my fitbit from MFP and just go with TDEE-X% for the MFP calorie calcs.

I'm male, and at 35% BF / 234 lbs, and KMcA BMR of 1862, with 2909 as the moderately active number (Fat2Fit) seems crazy high to me.

I took my desired 2lbs/week (7000 calorie deficit), and I come in above my BMR at ~1909. That's pretty tight, but before this, MFP was telling me that 1600 would be enough, plus whatever random number it'd throw at me for exercise calories. I found the exercise estimates to be pretty much insane. Walk 10km one day, it was a 45 calorie reduction, walk 7km another and it's 450 calorie credit?

I'll try this for a couple weeks and see how it works out.
    Options
    :huh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry,
    MalloryKnoXrox, I just can't compete with your incredible cartoony comebacks from PeeWee's Playhouse and Cinderella. You win - I'm a huge twit who came in here and said we're all exactly the same, the cookie cutter formula works for all of us, and if you're not just like me you're doing it wrong. It's all right there in my posts.

:smokin:

OP - so sorry for having hijacked this thread with this ridiculous "conversation", certainly wasn't my intention. Apparently trying to be helpful is a crime to some folks! And the ignore button is a beautiful function of these message boards! :wink:

Carry on!
    OH WAIT! Sorry again! I still got it wrong.... what I MEANT to sat was.... The storm starts, when the drops start dropping
    When the drops stop dropping then the storm starts stopping. How could I make such an error!