Does anyone record shopping as exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It's up to you what you log, but here is some real data of my day shopping, and other things I did in a few hours. This will give you an idea, unless you calculated your calories based on never leaving your bed, then shopping is a normal activity I think.

da9b966a-b9fc-47ab-bf99-4bd84294de3d_zpsb29cf6b3.jpg
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Another note, if you take the same time I took shopping, and compared the calories to sleeping of the same duration... I earned enough calories to eat 8 zesty cheese doritos. Yum, earned those chips. Oops, ate the whole bag. I have to go shop for 36 hours now :D
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I only log it if it's a marathon shopping session. Just a trip to the grocery store, no, as that's part of daily life. But a full day of thrifting or mall-ratting, yes, that's a workout! Usually end up starving hungry afterwards, so that's a good sign that it's burning calories imho.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I log it, if you are tracking calories, Would you add hamburgers to your MFP if you eat hamburgers everyday? Your still burning calories. Doesn't matter if it's routine or not.

It actually does matter though because when you sign up for MFP, you say what your level of activity is in order to get your calorie goal.

I'm on my feet 8 hours a day because I work retail, but I don't count it as 8 hours of walking every day. It's part of that "lightly active" I claimed I was when I did my profile.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit. After I finish grocery shopping I make laps around the perimeter of Wal-Mart with a full cart. I work up a good sweat.But I start getting weird looks about the 4th or 5th time around.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When my basic calories were set too low, I did count shopping of any kind. When I realised I was losing too fast and upped my calories I only logged the unusual shops,such as around London.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Logging a shopping trip as an exercise really is desperation in all honesty. On average if you sat down all day and did nothing you'd use about 1 cal a minute that equates to about 1400cals a day. People generally live a very sedentary lifestyle as it is so suggesting that a three hour walk is over and above what you'd normally do just seems like an excuse for why you didn't actually do some form of positive exercise.

Sorry, but I agree with this. The only type of "non-exercise" I log is shovelling. I strap on my HRM and go nuts. It actually feels like a workout and my heart rate gets up. I don't really believe cleaning, gardening, shopping etc are working out. Thats just my opinion though. Like others said, its just a bonus burn.
  • dncyng
    dncyng Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts on here. If it is not something you do every day or at least every other day, then I would count it. Today I actually counted light housework. I never would have, but today has been a mojor cleaning day with me doing it for over 3 hours straight and then I had to stand for an hour. So I just logged 2 hours of light cleaning cause this is way more than usual. And I still have a couple more hours I need to squeeze in before bed. But again, I would only count it if it is out of your norm.
    I Totally agree with this.
  • Dinerarose
    Options
    Hi,
    I go grocery shopping once a week, it usually takes me about a hour and a half, sometimes 2 to get finished, I always wear my body media which I always check before I leave for shopping so when I am done shopping I can know the calories burned, between shopping and putting the groceries a way I usually burn at least 300+ calories, so yes I definitely add that as calories burned for exercise, you can add it as walking or create your own name for it under your exercises.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I got fat while shopping house cleaning ..ect... so no I don't log it