I am a girl, and I want to build muscle

Options

Replies

• rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, exercise and eat at a deficit... that is what works..
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    This: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    Eat whatever you want.
    If you want to build muscle, skew your macronutrient balance toward protein (1g/lb of body weight minimum.)
    Once your noob gains are done, the only way your body will begin muscle protein synthesis is with a calorie surplus. You will also gain some fat if your 'bulking'

Workout Plan.
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    You'll need a bench, a squat rack, a barbell, and plates - or a gym. Invest in a personal trainer who knows weight training to help you with your form - better than youtube, a bit.

Combine these two and you will have a dangerously fantastic body.

This is all you need why are you still here, go work out NOW
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    (please) give them to me.
    No more slacking off for me, I'm doing this for real.
    I am 5'1", 120 lbs on a good day, and I eat 1300-1600 calories a day.
    I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works.
    Thank you and good day.

And I quote:

I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan

Thats not asking advice, or what has worked for others, that's asking people to do the research for you IMO. It's not hate, or people being mean. It's just saying it as it's typed by you. Maybe re phrase the question?
    I apologize if it seemed that way, but I personally do not believe you had the right to put me down for it. But I also remember typing in the same post: "I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works."

Telling you to research and look into what suits your needs is not 'putting you down' it's giving you advice for the question you posted. Thats my advice to you. I said what you asked was too open ended for the forums. I don't think I'm being mean stating that you would be better off looking into a plan for yourself as only you know your goals.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting up and looking into it for yourself rather than asking other people to tell you want to do? Why should people do your research for you? Do you want us to come to the gym and lift the weights for you too? :angry: :explode:

I like muffins.

And muffins like you.

Did you just call me fat?

You have to pay for the insult service.

What are your rates? Any twofers?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a few months, then switch to eating at a small surplus. Start a progressive loading strength training routine like Stronglifts 5 x 5 (3 x a week full body workout). Get at least 1g protein per lb/LBM. Train hard.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    This: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    Eat whatever you want.
    If you want to build muscle, skew your macronutrient balance toward protein (1g/lb of body weight minimum.)
    Once your noob gains are done, the only way your body will begin muscle protein synthesis is with a calorie surplus. You will also gain some fat if your 'bulking'

Workout Plan.
    You'll need a bench, a squat rack, a barbell, and plates - or a gym. Invest in a personal trainer who knows weight training to help you with your form - better than youtube, a bit.

• Ginerrva
    Ginerrva Posts: 226
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works.
    Thank you and good day.

And I quote:

I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan

Thats not asking advice, or what has worked for others, that's asking people to do the research for you IMO. It's not hate, or people being mean. It's just saying it as it's typed by you. Maybe re phrase the question?
    I apologize if it seemed that way, but I personally do not believe you had the right to put me down for it. But I also remember typing in the same post: "I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works."

Telling you to research and look into what suits your needs is not 'putting you down' it's giving you advice for the question you posted. Thats my advice to you. I said what you asked was too open ended for the forums. I don't think I'm being mean stating that you would be better off looking into a plan for yourself as only you know your goals.

Yes, and you were very nice about it, weren't you?

"Have you tried getting up and looking into it for yourself rather than asking other people to tell you want to do? Why should people do your research for you? Do you want us to come to the gym and lift the weights for you too?"
  • Ginerrva
    Ginerrva Posts: 226
    Options
    Holy crap, I asked a simple question and I'm getting so much hate. It's not even just thing like 'hey, I can't really answer your questions, and here's why.' It's more like 'shame on you for trying to get help. omg, the audacity you must have to ask us what we did to get thin, like dont be lazy and do it yourself.'

You already know the low self esteem that accompanies being out of shape, and yet this is how this site treats each other?

Hopefully some nice people will chime in soon. Read what Burt wrote that is good advice. I don't think you deserve to be responded to that way. Most of the time when people do research of stuff like diet and excersize mfp forums come up in google anyway so why not just ask?? I didn't think the way you worded it was wrong. You seemed sincere and you said please. I ended up in here because of Jillian Michael shred before / after photos. Just googling for inspiration.
    Thanks! :)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    Thank you and good day.

And I quote:

I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan

Yes, and you were very nice about it, weren't you?

"Have you tried getting up and looking into it for yourself rather than asking other people to tell you want to do? Why should people do your research for you? Do you want us to come to the gym and lift the weights for you too?"

Good luck with your goals, I wish you every success with your future endeavors.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm 5'3 135 lbs and lost 20 lbs over the last 6 years and I feel this is the formula that works for me: eat clean at deficit, I also work out twice a day on week and once each weekend day with Zumba 4-5 lbs week, lift heavy 3x a week, pepper in easy ellipticals, jogs, and walks. Can check my profile for a recent body pic I actually took yesterday. Everyone is different. Good luck!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Read Sarauk2sf's and BurtHurtz's post and stop bantering with the people who told you to look into it on your own.

Eat at maintenance, use a TDEE calculator and try out what it spits out for a month or so and see what your body does, adjust up or down from there
    Eat adequate protein to ensure maintenance/building of LBM aka MUSCLE, 1-1.5g/lb of LBM or 0.8g/lb of bodyweight
    Eat adequate fat, roughly 0.3g/lb of bodyweight
    Fill in the rest of your calories however you choose, protein and fat are minimums, carbs are preferential
    Look into Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength or if you're a complete newb to lifting check out New Rules of Lifting for Women*, either way if you're not familiar with the lifts/movements google the hell out of it or buy the books
    If you enjoy cardio, do it, just not excessively, a HIIT or LISS workout here or there isn't going to hurt your gainz, but if your lifts start crapping out, cut back the cardio
    *You'll probably ditch it after a few months, most people I know rarely complete the entire program, they move on to something more advance after a couple months
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Also, you mentioned the first time you posted this that you have a hard time eating adequate protein... check out a supplement, I recommend a basic whey isolate. You can find decent tasting ones at a pretty good price, use the search function in the forums to find people's opinions on different ones. You can make some tasty protein smoothies/shakes with yogurt, fruits, chocolate, peanut butter, etc. Those are also located in the forums which can be found using the search feature.

Work for it. We can hand you a program on a silver platter... we can't hand you the results on one though.

:flowerforyou:
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    Eat whatever you want.

Workout Plan.

This is all you need why are you still here, go work out NOW

Thirded. Seriously, do this and ignore the bs.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you willing to gain weight (including fat) to gain muscle? If so:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyLady406/view/so-ya-wanna-bulk-475896

If not, do all that except the surplus.

Calculate your TDEE, eat slightly below that to lose fat, at that to try to lose a little fat, and gain a little muscle at the same time, over that to gain muscle and a little fat.
  • sdpicard
    sdpicard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just read this. Thanks! It was helpful.
  • sdpicard
    sdpicard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Diet Plan.
    Eat whatever you want.

Workout Plan.

I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to posting to the forum. Sorry. This is what I read and found helpful. I hope I've posted correctly this time.:smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    No more slacking off for me,
    I'm doing this for real.
    Thank you and good day.

you're already slacking off. if you don't have the fortitude to look up your own diet and workout plan you probably aren't ready to follow thru with whatever i come up with for you to do.

check back in when you're ready to stop hitchhiking
    Dude, im not asking you to research for me. I'm trying to get something that worked for someone else already!

what worked for someone else trying to do what? You haven't even told anyone your goals. Think about that for a minute. You're getting advice to achieve something that may or may not be what you actually want. it's like blindfolded people playing darts up in here.

i can tell you what worked for me, but what if you don't want to be me? what if you don't have access to the time and equipment i have? what if you don't enjoy the things that i enjoy. you didn't even say if you want to lose or gain weight, but you are being told to eat in a deficit while trying to build muscle. until you have some idea of where you want to go and what you're willing to do to get there, you're hitchhiking.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am a girl and want to build muscle too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just read through the whole forum, and jeez some comments.......yikes!!!

Let me know how you get on........don't worry i won't ask how you have done it ........lol

Otherwise that's me being lazy!!!!!!! Get my sense of humour?????

Good luck

S x
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This post is like me telling everyone that 'I want to eat a sandwich.... so tell me which sandwich I need to eat'.

You will get hundreds of different answers because there are hundreds of tasty sandwich options, yet all of them may not appeal to you.

I prefer deli ham and provolone with the works, by the way.
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has a whole plan that should work for most women.