I am a girl, and I want to build muscle

Options

Replies

• briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did Chalean Extreme and did it through 3 times until I was able to lift heavy, cause when I started I didn't have the equipment to do what I do now.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Read Sarauk2sf's and BurtHurtz's post and stop bantering with the people who told you to look into it on your own.

Eat at maintenance, use a TDEE calculator and try out what it spits out for a month or so and see what your body does, adjust up or down from there
    Eat adequate protein to ensure maintenance/building of LBM aka MUSCLE, 1-1.5g/lb of LBM or 0.8g/lb of bodyweight
    Eat adequate fat, roughly 0.3g/lb of bodyweight
    Fill in the rest of your calories however you choose, protein and fat are minimums, carbs are preferential
    Look into Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength or if you're a complete newb to lifting check out New Rules of Lifting for Women*, either way if you're not familiar with the lifts/movements google the hell out of it or buy the books
    If you enjoy cardio, do it, just not excessively, a HIIT or LISS workout here or there isn't going to hurt your gainz, but if your lifts start crapping out, cut back the cardio
    *You'll probably ditch it after a few months, most people I know rarely complete the entire program, they move on to something more advance after a couple months

OP: While I did not write the thread linked, it is a good thread to start getting an understanding of your caloric needs. My thread is actually linked in that post and goes into a bit more detail - but basically what is explained above is very good advice and is in line with both threads as well as giving you more details as to lifting and exercise.

Cliffs: Eat enough, get enough protein, train hard.
  • dodgetrukdude
    Options
    Wow, people generally suck anymore...hence why this is my first, and possibly last post. Just because someone crapped in your Wheaties as a kid, doesn't mean some of you need to crap in everyone elses.

Ginerrva, have a read thru Nerd Fitness, specifically this article...
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stay away from Stronglifts (someone mentioned it early on). I followed the program for the first 90 days of the year...not too bad, but it's basically a ripoff of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength...with too much volume for a beginner. I'm moving on to Starting Strength beginning tomorrow.

Between Nerd Fitness and Rippetoe's Starting Strength books (and forums), I've learned everything I needed to get a start on getting into shape...nutrition and strength training. Whatever you do, best of luck...just please, no endless cardio at the gym!! Cardio is only for warming up. If you still want to do cardio, lift weights faster ;)
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There are some great tips that you have received so far. I wrote an extensive article regarding all that you look for. If you have time to read it, it might help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/956605-repost-3-months-34-pounds-later-pics
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 135 lbs and lost 20 lbs over the last 6 years and I feel this is the formula that works for me: eat clean at deficit, I also work out twice a day on week and once each weekend day with Zumba 4-5 lbs week, lift heavy 3x a week, pepper in easy ellipticals, jogs, and walks. Can check my profile for a recent body pic I actually took yesterday. Everyone is different. Good luck!

20 pounds in 6 years? Two a days during the week and one a days on weekends? This seems like a lot of work for a minimal benefit.

Screw that. Lift heavy 3x a week, eat healthy. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Wow, people generally suck anymore...hence why this is my first, and possibly last post. Just because someone crapped in your Wheaties as a kid, doesn't mean some of you need to crap in everyone elses.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stay away from Stronglifts (someone mentioned it early on). I followed the program for the first 90 days of the year...not too bad, but it's basically a ripoff of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength...with too much volume for a beginner. I'm moving on to Starting Strength beginning tomorrow.

Between Nerd Fitness and Rippetoe's Starting Strength books (and forums), I've learned everything I needed to get a start on getting into shape...nutrition and strength training. Whatever you do, best of luck...just please, no endless cardio at the gym!! Cardio is only for warming up. If you still want to do cardio, lift weights faster ;)

Eh, I beg to differ. Stronglifts might be too much volume for someone who is in a deficit but she wants to build muscle suggesting that she will need to eat at least a little of a surplus which she should have no issue with SL being "too much volume". Starting Strength is generally recommended for those who are eating below maintenance. Either one is a good start at the very least.

Sara can probably weigh in on this. Personally, even at a deficit, I wasn't feeling exhausted or even slightly taxed by doing SS and losing 1lb/week.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Plenty of protein and eat in a surplus.
    For working out right now I am doing Layne Nortons PHAT program and loving it. Its quite intense though, I started with new rules of lifting for women, which is 3 days a week compound lifting and it was good so maybe look at starting there.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I need a good workout
    I need a good diet plan
    (please) give them to me.
    No more slacking off for me, I'm doing this for real.
    I am 5'1", 120 lbs on a good day, and I eat 1300-1600 calories a day.
    I don't want something that has 'good reviews' I want something, even if it's just small tips, that you know works.
    Thank you and good day.

It depends on your body type since we are all different and our bodies respond differently. I know some gyms offer free 2 sessions with a trainer for newcomers so you might want to check it out. Also you can try NROLFW which is recommended for beginners. As for the amount of weights, the word "heavy weights" means a weight that is challenging enough that you can complete a workout for up to 8-10 reps in good form.

As for diet, you need to EAT MORE to gain muscle as generally its impossible to gain muscle on a calorie deficit unless you are morbidly obese or blessed with a great genetics (NOTE: if you're a beginner, you will experience some "beginner gains" even on a calorie deficit but after sometime your body will eventually plateau). You need to eat about 200-300 calories above your maintenance level coupled up with heavy weight training to gain some muscle. A word of caution: muscle building is hard work especially for a woman and you can't expect to gain a lb of muscle in a few weeks or a month. You might see yourself getting stronger or gaining weight but it doesn't always mean that you have gained a new muscle. Most of the time, it is because our bones are getting denser coz of weight lifting.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Workout with a professional trainer at a gym. 3 years now and I'm still lifting and learning and stronger at 54 than I've ever been.
  • dodgetrukdude
    Options

Eh, I beg to differ. Stronglifts might be too much volume for someone who is in a deficit but she wants to build muscle suggesting that she will need to eat at least a little of a surplus which she should have no issue with SL being "too much volume". Starting Strength is generally recommended for those who are eating below maintenance. Either one is a good start at the very least.

Sara can probably weigh in on this. Personally, even at a deficit, I wasn't feeling exhausted or even slightly taxed by doing SS and losing 1lb/week.
    Just a personal opinion btwn the 2...especially if she's never done any barbell training before. I thought I had it down pretty good, until I developed a bit of a groin/flexor strain from improper squat form...had to lay off for a bit. If she can master the forms at 5x5, then great...otherwise, 3x5 for a beginner would be my recommendation...less volume = less strain if the form is not perfect.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

First of all - re SL being a rip off of SS - 5 x 5 programs are not new and have been around for decades, so no, it is not.

For sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, StrongLifts is a better program as you have more time under tension, which is one of the main inputs for muscle growth. People do SL at a deficit all the time. Plus you start off at a low weight and can work on form from there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Just a personal opinion btwn the 2...especially if she's never done any barbell training before. I thought I had it down pretty good, until I developed a bit of a groin/flexor strain from improper squat form...had to lay off for a bit. If she can master the forms at 5x5, then great...otherwise, 3x5 for a beginner would be my recommendation...less volume = less strain if the form is not perfect.

I disagree. More volume is better to work on form. The weights will be slightly lighter as you have more reps. How do you practice to get better? Doing 25 reps at say 60% or 15 reps at say 70%?
  • dodgetrukdude
    Options

I disagree. More volume is better to work on form. The weights will be slightly lighter as you have more reps. How do you practice to get better? Doing 25 reps at say 60% or 15 reps at say 70%?
    In my experience, more volume got me sloppy...lower reps at higher weight now allow me to focus on form and un-injuring myself...quality over quantity...and the OP asked specifically what has personally worked for someone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

In my experience, more volume got me sloppy...lower reps at higher weight now allow me to focus on form and un-injuring myself...quality over quantity...and the OP asked specifically what has personally worked for someone.

Then you should not have been adding weight so quickly if you got sloppy. The OP asked, you disagreed with someone's opinion, I am disagreeing with yours.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    go to www.bodybuilding.com they will give you a clearly laid out food and workout plan.
  • dodgetrukdude
    Options

Then you should not have been adding weight so quickly if you got sloppy. The OP asked, you disagreed with someone's opinion, I am disagreeing with yours.
    It's not my opinion that I injured myself...it's fact...a fact that I shared with the OP as one of the "even if it's just small tips, that you know works" things, on what not to do...she wants to get into shape, probably not looking into bodybuilding competitions just yet.
  • koe760
    koe760 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about Crossfit (haven't personally done it though). I know a lot of the fire departments in the area use it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It's not my opinion that I injured myself...it's fact...a fact that I shared with the OP as one of the "even if it's just small tips, that you know works" things, on what not to do...she wants to get into shape, probably not looking into bodybuilding competitions just yet.

I didn't say injuring yourself was your opinion. Many many people on here do SL without injuring themselves. Form is important in all programs. And what have bb comps to do with SL v SS? She wants to gain muscle. SL is more optimal than SS for that, especially for a beginner - my opinion of course!.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

tumblr_lg2hp6AW5n1qgdylfo1_400_zpsddc66bca.gif
  • kahne9tiff
    Options
    wow, whatever happened to friendly?

i thought this was a blog forum... i didnt realize this was like a boot camp exercise journal ...

this is why people dont exercise enough, because they are afraid to ask for help.

i weighed 330lbs i'm 5'3 and im at 180 3 years later still working. its taken me a long time and i'm just getting the hang of strenght training because when you ask people about exercise when your that big A.) you dont know what your talking about so they think you are dumb and B.) nobody thinks your serious, they think you are gonna go home and eat a burger while you watch an movie.

dont hate congratulate. one who is lost, seeks to be found.

TIPS: when building muscle is the tension you build that counts, not the time. when you are doing cardio you want to run as long as you can. when strength building you want to do as many "reps" as possible. think of it like a balloon with air.. you sit and blow, blow, blow.... you are essentially filling your muscles with oxygen... you want to rep, rep, rep, rep

if your not sure where to start get a diagram of the muscles. i like to think of myself like a cow getting ready to be butchered... gross i know... but i focus three days and rest on certain areas.. arms... abs... legs/butt

youtube is a great place to look for routines that work for you. they all work, its your comitment and ability. im stuggling with my stomach after losing all the weight. im trying to build abs but there are certain exercises i just CANNOT do more than a few reps of... i skip them, i've found ones that work better for me... if i can bust out 20 and feel it (it shouldnt 'hurt" .. just 'burn') thats what i stick with.

i try to pick like 5 different things i can do to focus on a muscle group then do 10 reps of each, and do at least 4 or 5 sets of each of those exercises.

remember its not how long, its how tight you can keep the muscle through your reps. its better to do 20 really good meaningful reps than 50 quick speedy one.. that will get your heart rate up... but remember.. your trying to fill your balloons... blow, blow, blow, rep, rep, rep

pick whats comfortable. try to do your aerobics for at least 15 minutes twice a day 3-4 times a week and gradually increase to a half hour twice a day 4-5 times a week. remember your muscles HAVE to rest or they will freeze up and work against themselves. focus on one area three days in a row. if its sore, rest and switch areas for the next 2 days