NSV: My first half marathon! Pics Included

omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
Yesterday I ran my first half marathon! I had a long post all written and when I went to post it, I lost my wifi connection so POOF it was gone. So I'm going to be lazy and give you the short version. I've been on MFP nearly 2 years. I started running 1 year ago with C25K. I am slow, but I was able to fairly easily finish my first half on 4/13/13. My time was over 8 minutes faster than I planned too! I finished in 2 hours, 51 minutes, 44 seconds. No speed records (except my own!) being broken here.

My plan now is to start working on speed over shorter distances. I probably won't do another half for a while - the training takes up too much time. I'll go back to alternating running, biking, and walking. I am also doing strength training twice a week. We are hoping to put a pool in this spring, so I may add some swimming to it as well! I have less than 20 lbs to go to my ultimate goal. I was hoping to be there by the end of the summer but it's been going really slowly this year. If it takes longer, oh well! I'll get there eventually.

Here are pictures. A before, a picture from my first 5K race in May 2012, and a picture from my first half marathon in April 2013.

i-CcjNzpK-M.jpg

GOTR%205K%20May%202012-1-L.jpg

i-Jfjbt7P-L.jpg

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Great job!!!!
    What an accomplishment!!

1/2 is a big deal!!!

Chook-ha-hey-yo!! (Congrats)
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Well done! I don't think that I could run a half marathon.

JC
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Congratulations!!! You look awesome!!!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Great job!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    You look younger!
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Very nice! You are an inspiration, I have just recently started running and fell in love with it. I hope to do as well as you whenever I get to my first half marathon :smile:
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    congratulations! I started a C25K in the fall and will be running my first race, a 10 km, in two weeks. I was considering signing up for a half marathon but wasn;t sure-- now I know that I will, you have inspired me!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    congratulations!!!

a half marathon is a huge achievement!

what a great inspiration you are.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Congrats! You look awesome!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    You rock !
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Congratulations!!! Running is fun and awesome! My goal is to work on speed this year too!
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Congrats.. Savor the personal victory...
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss and the run!
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    I love it! Kudos to you :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Wow... congratulations to you! Be so proud... I started running a year ago also and no way am I ready to do a half marathon, You look great!
  • jlmed
    jlmed Posts: 226 Member
    You look amazing!! Way to go on your first half :)
  • StardancerABQ
    StardancerABQ Posts: 2 Member
    Awesome!! Thank you for posting your story! You inspire me!!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Great job completing your first half marathon!! You look so strong and confident. What an inspiration you are!!
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Congrats on a job well done! Our stories are very similar and I'll be doing my first half in 5 weeks, so your story will serve as great motivation for me!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Congrats!!!! You look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!