Anyone run 5k "races" alone?

Options
124»

Replies

• 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I run mine alone all of the time! I put my earbuds in, pull my hat visor down and ignore everyone else. I can't stand hearing other people breathing-hence the earbuds. Go for it and good luck!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!! I do them alone all the time.......If you enjoy it make it your thing!:bigsmile:
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I run most of mine solo. I usually run into people I know after the race. Just do it. You will have a blast and maybe meet some new people. Everyone is so friendly. Go for it!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It's fun to have someone you know waiting at the end, but even if you have to go to the race alone, there's still the feeling of accomplishment you have. Lots of people will be there alone. You might make a new friend.

I run races alone. Most of my friends can't run the distance that I can.

I've always wished I could "run with" a friend until this incident: One time I was in the middle of running my best half ever and ran into an old friend who was really struggling. I felt obligated to stay with her (she'd had a lot going on in her life) and what was gonna be my best time ever turned out into my worst (non-trail-run) time ever.

I've done some 5Ks with friends, but even with ladies in my running group I tell them to go ahead so I don't slow them down. Rarely do I find someone where we both match each other's paces.

The only time I stress about running alone is if the route is unmarked and I'm scared I'll get lost after everyone else pulls ahead of me. Most races are very well marked, though, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
  • larajcoffee
    Options
    If any one is looking for stroller friendly race in the US, I have a stroller friendly race calendar. You can search by state and distance. http://laracoffee.com/jog-stroller-friendly-race-calendar/
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My first race, I ran with my sister and my cousin. They are a lot more fit than me, and I ended up running at my own pace alone anyway. But I enjoyed it anyway. We went out for breakfast afterwards.

My second race, I registered for and ran by myself. My only regret was, there was a big after party after the race, and it was a kind of a let down with everyone celebrating with friends and I was alone. Still enjoyed it, but probably would have been more fun with friends.

My third "race" if you can call it that, was a virtual 5K that I ran for charity. I was part of a forum that sponsored it, and we were all from different parts of the U.S. So we all agreed on a particular weekend between 5 pm Friday and midnight Sunday, we would run 3.2 miles. We posted our times (as best we could....nothing official) on the forum's website. It was a lot of fun. But it was really REALLY alone. :happy:
  • jgaul88
    jgaul88 Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel the same way! I've always did a team sport (rowing so I had 4-8 other people with me every race!) and now am getting nervous about heading off to my first obstacle race on my own. It was either not do the race or go alone. I understand the idea of racing alone if you are competitive but I guess overall it's a personal preference.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I know this might be an odd question, but I was hoping to get some input. I want to run a 5k race (there are numerous ones coming up in my area), but my friend who was supposed to join me has bailed on me for now. I'm nervous to do it alone... guess it's just because I'm shy and it would be my first time and I have no idea what the "procedure" is, etc. I guess it's a "safety in numbers" kind of thing -- blind leading the blind. LOL I know that I can and probably should just do it, but does anyone have any pointers? Thanks!!

I always run my races alone, except for one 10k race last year, but I would have run that alone too apart from the fact two friends asked me about the race and entered it too lol.

Just enter the race, ensure you take everything you need on the day and run it when the start signal is given.

Be honest, once you start running, you are alone anyway, even if you did have a friend by your side the whole distance, it still boils down to YOU running it.

You will love it I bet, go for it!