Help Me Understand Why..

Options
It is so difficult for many people to make a conscientious decision to stop eating garbage food? Why some people would run to diet pills or supplements in a desperate attempt to lose weight quickly, when that weight was gained over a long period of time? Why people just can't stop stuffing their faces?

I don't understand the psychology of overeating, or the psychology of not being able to stop overeating.

What's really going on here?

Replies

• ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone understands it, which is why it's such a problem in the first place....
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Because some people just can't. It's a battle. It's no different to any other addiction. Some people will struggle with it forever, just like other eating disorders, some believe there really are quick fixes, some people have just settled, some people are happy fat, some people don't know how, some people are not clued up, some people can't be assed to try. Everyones different. Your post just sounds so ignorant and I'm sorry but if you don't 'understand' by now at 48 years old, I doubt you ever will.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's called laziness. I hear it affects a large percentage of the population. Also ignorance. It's not contagious, but can be cured with education and physical exercise three times a week, and a good diet.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Because some people just can't. It's a battle. It's no different to any other addiction. Some people will struggle with it forever, just like other eating disorders, some believe there really are quick fixes, some people have just settled, some people are happy fat, some people don't know how, some people are not clued up, some people can't be assed to try. Everyones different. Your post just sounds so ignorant and I'm sorry but if you don't 'understand' by now at 48 years old, I doubt you ever will.

100% Agree with all of this
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Differing dopamine transporters and receptors.

Brain imaging of obese people show they react differently in this regard to healthy weight individuals to sugary foods in particular.

Trying to fight your body mentally is a losing proposition for many people - it is [/i]incredibly[/i] difficult. Therefore finding easy coping mechanisms to reduce or eliminate cravings are bound to be attractive.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of comfort, depression, habit and the sort. It is emotional. It is a disorder. It is like anorexia. Nobody understands psychological problems well. I think I know where you're coming from but since tone can't be conveyed virtually, it can come across a little harsh, like you're insinuating that comfort eaters are using 'having a problem' as an excuse for their laziness. I do agree that some people really are just unwilling to change, but there are people who struggle with something called food addiction. You may not mean it that way but it could be inferred as so. No hard feelings here, just pointing out that it could be a pretty sensitive issue here to speak about! Just a two cents worth from a food addict!
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My own theory is it might be an built in survival mechanism that deals with our hunter ancestors. When the hunt was good everyone feasted their fill, almost like binge eating. They had to do this because their was no guarantee of a forthcoming successful hunt.
    So maybe today there is something still in the brain that signals, binge eat cause there may be famine tomorrow. Just a guess at it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Edit.....read your profile after I posted. I won't troll with you.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Judge much?? It must be nice to not have to worry about food addiction. Food addiction is an eating disorder. It must be nice to have all of the answers and not know what it's like to be overweight. I am happy for you that you cannot understand or relate to these problems. It's not necessary to be so rude about it though.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Troll much.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I started my diet last year when I got sick of listening to friends talk about going on Advocare, doing 30-day cleanses and claiming they must eat gluten-free. All of these are "sexy" diets that sound good and are in vogue right now. I watched this and thought about the old advice: in - out = accumulation!!

so... I decided to get on MFP, check in everyday, log food and exercise and voila - I lost the weight and have kept it off for for 8 months.

I think some of these people do want the quick, easy, and usually costly fix to weight loss.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When you have an addiction, there are certain chemicals in the brain released, In order to keep those chemicals flowing and keep you feeling like you want, you have to keep using more and more of said substance. That's why people are addicted to drugs, food, or a whole host of other things.

Now that I've explained to you how the psychology aspect of it works, how about you explain to us why your such a witch?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    When you have an addiction, there are certain chemicals in the brain released, In order to keep those chemicals flowing and keep you feeling like you want, you have to keep using more and more of said substance. That's why people are addicted to drugs, food, or a whole host of other things.

Now that I've explained to you how the psychology aspect of it works, how about you explain to us why your such a witch?

Dad106

read her profile...if indeed it's a her. Troll. Just wants a reaction and to stir the pot. it worked.
  • KevinMassine
    Options
    And you have Friends ?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Dad106

read her profile...if indeed it's a her. Troll. Just wants a reaction and to stir the pot. it worked.

I read her profile.

If she honestly, doesn't understand, then I'd be glad to explain the psychology behind it to her.

Plus, ever think that now she got her answer, that she'll go away? :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Ignorant? Judge much? Yes, I don't understand the psychology of addiction, which is why I ASKED. I have never been addicted to anything, but I have people in my life who have/are -- and I don't understand how it happens to some but not others, especially when we've been raised in the same environment. I have a brother who is a recovering heroin addict, another who is an alcoholic. And we were all raised in the same family environment by the same set of parents. How did it miss me, yet get them?

So, before you start throwing the word "ignorant" around so willy nilly, I suggest you take a look at your OWN ignorance and be a little less judgmental of others, m'kay?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I don't think anyone understands it, which is why it's such a problem in the first place....

Thank you for not being so judgmental, as this was NOT a troll or judgmental post.

I truly do not understand.

And for those who call me a troll, I am VERY much alive and real. And I have no intention of going away. You have the option of not responding or friending me -- right?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Witch? Hm. Should I report you for name calling, or let this roll off my back? Such a moral dilemma here.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Junk food is ubiquitous, tasty, and cheap. Dieting is boring. (I don't use "lifestyle change". The reason I'm not overweight is because I incorporated lifestyle changes, but if I want to lose even vanity pounds I have to eat less, which is a diet.) I've made an effort to maintain my weight because it's obvious how difficult it is to drop a lot of weight.