Help Me Understand Why..

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    There's just far too many variables to accurately make a call that covers this subject. Child abuse is a big one, self worth, peer pressure, genetics, change in lifestyle, marriage & kids etc who knows.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My own theory is it might be an built in survival mechanism that deals with our hunter ancestors. When the hunt was good everyone feasted their fill, almost like binge eating. They had to do this because their was no guarantee of a forthcoming successful hunt.
    So maybe today there is something still in the brain that signals, binge eat cause there may be famine tomorrow. Just a guess at it.

I've actually read something similar to this, so great guess!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Differing dopamine transporters and receptors.

Brain imaging of obese people show they react differently in this regard to healthy weight individuals to sugary foods in particular.

Trying to fight your body mentally is a losing proposition for many people - it is [/i]incredibly[/i] difficult. Therefore finding easy coping mechanisms to reduce or eliminate cravings are bound to be attractive.

This is what I was looking for -- the physical reasons behind food addiction. Is it really as powerful as drugs, alcohol, etc? Can it be and has it been proven scientifically? I get the dopamine and endorphine rush of drugs and alcohol, but I don't understand how a particular food (with the possible exception of chocolate ha ha) could cause such a physical rush to the brain's chemistry. It fascinates me, because I think if we could find the link/correlation between the psychology and physiology (and I'm sure there is plenty of research about l-tryptophan, dopamine, endorphine release, etc out there), and use that type of science to address the issue, then maybe all these fad diets, diet pills and supplements that are out there will no longer be needed or hold any credibility..

Treat the WHOLE person, by whatever means necessary.

Does that make sense?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the troll!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    My own theory is it might be an built in survival mechanism that deals with our hunter ancestors. When the hunt was good everyone feasted their fill, almost like binge eating. They had to do this because their was no guarantee of a forthcoming successful hunt.
    So maybe today there is something still in the brain that signals, binge eat cause there may be famine tomorrow. Just a guess at it.

I've actually read something similar to this, so great guess!
    But just after the invention of cell phones and coronation street.:happy:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it happens to some but not others, especially when we've been raised in the same environment. I have a brother who is a recovering heroin addict, another who is an alcoholic. And we were all raised in the same family environment by the same set of parents. How did it miss me, yet get them?

This is where Nature VS Nurture comes into play.

You were raised in the same environment... awesome. There is the nurture part.

There is something in their brain though(nature) and in their environment(again nurture) that caused them to become addicted to these substances. Be it stress, trying to cope with an illness of some sort, what have you.

Maybe you don't have the same stressers they do, or deal with it in a different way that caused you not to become addicted to these substances.

There is a whole host of reasons why one person gets addicted, and another does not. I suggest you look up studies that involve identical twins on google.. they can help explain what your asking.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's called laziness. I hear it affects a large percentage of the population. Also ignorance. It's not contagious, but can be cured with education and physical exercise three times a week, and a good diet.

Or not, and you're the ignorant one.

OP: I have been battling food addiction for my whole life. I had a pretty crappy childhood for many reasons that nobody really wants or needs me to get into, and my parents have always been fat. I grew up drinking 4-5 cans of soda per day, eating a whole bag of chips in one sitting, eating 3 bowls of cereal in one sitting, a whole box of toaster strudels in one sitting, etc. I would watch my mom sit down and tackle a cheesecake when her and my dad fought. I'd watch my dad come home and take down a bag of cheese poofs after a long day at work. I grew up watching my parents use food for comfort, so I used food for comfort as well. It's what made me overweight.

When you're raised around this behavior and you grow up learning this behavior, it's incredibly hard to break free of. I can see how a person who doesn't have this problem wouldn't understand. I don't think you're a troll at all; this is something that's hard for many people to get. I have always used food to handle emotions. Sadness, guilt, grief, even happiness. When I feel extra happy, I eat something extra sweet, like ice cream. When I feel sad, I tend to bake to help me take my mind off things.. And then eat the entire plateful of cookies with a huge glass of milk because I just spent so much time baking them I couldn't POSSIBLY let them go to waste. It DOESN'T make sense. I realized this a few months ago and changed my ways, but I do still find myself feeling the urge to eat in correspondence with my emotions. It's now up to me to have the willpower to recognize that I'm not hungry, I'm sad, or mad, or happy. I've also given up the mentality that if I am doing good one week, I deserve a "treat". I do still treat myself now and then, but not nearly as much as I used to.

I did see a psychologist for a while about my eating disorder and my terrible relationship with food, but it didn't really help me. It's sort of that whole "if you aren't willing to accept help, nobody can help you" sort of thing. I was that way for a very long time until my low self esteem started to kill me and I realized I was in control of that, nobody else.

I hope I've helped a bit with your understanding of the situation. It's not the PHYSICAL explanation you were seeking, but it's my take on the problem. :)
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    It is so difficult for many people to make a conscientious decision to stop eating garbage food? Why some people would run to diet pills or supplements in a desperate attempt to lose weight quickly, when that weight was gained over a long period of time? Why people just can't stop stuffing their faces?

I don't understand the psychology of overeating, or the psychology of not being able to stop overeating.

What's really going on here?

I absolutely cannot stand punctuation errors.
    The marks, comma, and parentheses, used in that paragraph send shivers down my spine.
    My advice: Kindly look up the art of stigmeology.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was starved by an abusive step father throughout my childhood. I survived by binging on dense, high calorie foods at 3am after he had gone to bed. I grew up on white bread, biscuits, chocolate, cheese, anything I could get my hands on.
    I can see why someone who grew up in a nourishing environment would find it difficult to understand why people become obese.

Btw, I ruined my body with starving and binging until I was 18, so I have to take supplements which help control my blood sugar levels when I eat carbs and help me maintain muscle mass and burn fat when eating at a deficit, because my body has become very very good at storing fat. Supplements are a healthy addition to a healthy diet. I'm thankful every day that I don't have diabetes and that certain supplements exist.
  • Kaasie1
    Kaasie1 Posts: 25
    Options
    I smell a troll!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Edit.....read your profile after I posted. I won't troll with you.

Dammit, she made it friends only so I'll never know. :sad:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's called laziness. I hear it affects a large percentage of the population. Also ignorance. It's not contagious, but can be cured with education and physical exercise three times a week, and a good diet.

Or not, and you're the ignorant one.

OP: I have been battling food addiction for my whole life. I had a pretty crappy childhood for many reasons that nobody really wants or needs me to get into, and my parents have always been fat. I grew up drinking 4-5 cans of soda per day, eating a whole bag of chips in one sitting, eating 3 bowls of cereal in one sitting, a whole box of toaster strudels in one sitting, etc. I would watch my mom sit down and tackle a cheesecake when her and my dad fought. I'd watch my dad come home and take down a bag of cheese poofs after a long day at work. I grew up watching my parents use food for comfort, so I used food for comfort as well. It's what made me overweight.

When you're raised around this behavior and you grow up learning this behavior, it's incredibly hard to break free of. I can see how a person who doesn't have this problem wouldn't understand. I don't think you're a troll at all; this is something that's hard for many people to get. I have always used food to handle emotions. Sadness, guilt, grief, even happiness. When I feel extra happy, I eat something extra sweet, like ice cream. When I feel sad, I tend to bake to help me take my mind off things.. And then eat the entire plateful of cookies with a huge glass of milk because I just spent so much time baking them I couldn't POSSIBLY let them go to waste. It DOESN'T make sense. I realized this a few months ago and changed my ways, but I do still find myself feeling the urge to eat in correspondence with my emotions. It's now up to me to have the willpower to recognize that I'm not hungry, I'm sad, or mad, or happy. I've also given up the mentality that if I am doing good one week, I deserve a "treat". I do still treat myself now and then, but not nearly as much as I used to.

I did see a psychologist for a while about my eating disorder and my terrible relationship with food, but it didn't really help me. It's sort of that whole "if you aren't willing to accept help, nobody can help you" sort of thing. I was that way for a very long time until my low self esteem started to kill me and I realized I was in control of that, nobody else.

I hope I've helped a bit with your understanding of the situation. It's not the PHYSICAL explanation you were seeking, but it's my take on the problem. :)

Thank you so much for your open and honest answer. I do understand a little better now. I was raised by parents who never allowed that kind of food in my house, or at least only allowed it for a treat. At the time, I was a bit angry that I wasn't allowed to have pop, because it looked and tasted good. My mom would make me tomato sandwiches instead of fattening ones, and dessert was ONLY served after dinner, never in the middle of the day. And, everything was portioned out.

Now, as a mom myself, I realize that what my parents were doing wasn't deprivation, but teaching me to eat healthy. Oh, I slipped up a LOT in my adult years, which is why I'm on here, but now I am following more closely in my parents' footsteps (especially since I am now middle aged), and I am finding that what they did was to benefit me, not deprive me.

I still have no idea how my brothers ended up addicted to drugs and alcohol. Again, we were raised by the same set of parents, so there had to be another reason. But, that's a story for another day.

Again, thanks for your honest answer.

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • MrsSpindler
    Options

I have to disagree. I don't think it's laziness. If we were just lazy then eventually we would be able to get up and do what we need to do. I'm lazy, but that doesn't stop me from going into work. I know that if I didn't go I would get fired and lose money. So, why isn't that the same thing as losing weight? I know if I eat unhealthy I run the risk for a heart attack or diabetes. I know these things are bad. It's not laziness. If it was I'd know I need to do something about it or else. It's a battle. Like the other girl said. We've been battling this for years. It's not as easy as flipping a switch. We know what we need to do and if it was so easy we would do it, but it's not. It takes time. For some, years.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Because some people just can't. It's a battle. It's no different to any other addiction. Some people will struggle with it forever, just like other eating disorders, some believe there really are quick fixes, some people have just settled, some people are happy fat, some people don't know how, some people are not clued up, some people can't be assed to try. Everyones different. Your post just sounds so ignorant and I'm sorry but if you don't 'understand' by now at 48 years old, I doubt you ever will.

Ignorant? Judge much? Yes, I don't understand the psychology of addiction, which is why I ASKED. I have never been addicted to anything, but I have people in my life who have/are -- and I don't understand how it happens to some but not others, especially when we've been raised in the same environment. I have a brother who is a recovering heroin addict, another who is an alcoholic. And we were all raised in the same family environment by the same set of parents. How did it miss me, yet get them?

So, before you start throwing the word "ignorant" around so willy nilly, I suggest you take a look at your OWN ignorance and be a little less judgmental of others, m'kay?

Me judgemental? Really? Compared to what you have wrote. You're clearly looking to stir up some drama my sweet!
    Maybe it didn't miss you? Maybe there is still time? Maybe they have other things going on in there life that you do not have in yours? Addictions don't come down to how you was bought up and raised. Though sometimes it does not help.
    How can you just assume because of your own personal circumstances that addiction of any form is a 'choice'?? That's judging. That is judging other peoples life styles. Addiction is rarely ever a choice.
    People like you are so far up on your high horse that sometimes you forget that you live right down here with the rest of us.
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    I don't think anyone understands it, which is why it's such a problem in the first place....

Thank you for not being so judgmental, as this was NOT a troll or judgmental post.

I truly do not understand.

And for those who call me a troll, I am VERY much alive and real. And I have no intention of going away. You have the option of not responding or friending me -- right?

I simply refuse to befriend someone who makes grammatical and punctuation mistakes.
    I truly do not understand how you failed to understand the basic grammar rule behind pairing a double negative.
    You are absolutely insulting the English Language by pairing a negative with a positive.

For education and correction purpose only: This was neither a troll nor a judgemental post.

Ah semantics. Damn.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You know what I don’t understand? Why heroin addicts, or alcoholics, or anorexics, are all accepted as an addiction or an illness, but people that eat their emotions are just classed as ‘fat’ or ‘lazy’ or ‘greedy’, and it’s seen as being entirely their own fault that they are the way they are.

There are many reasons why someone would find it difficult to just stop eating junk food. The same number of reasons that people would turn to drugs or alcohol or eating as little as possible. You are obviously either lucky enough to have never suffered something that you would seek a release from, incredibly thick-skinned, or you get through your problems in life using other, healthier means.
  • lizag2012
    lizag2012 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would suggest reading a book called, "Why Do We Get Fat" to you and pretty much everyone else (I'm sure it's available at the library). The calories in/calories out idea is much more complex than we are willing to admit. There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight and keep it off. If you want a short, VERY simplified answer without having to read and learn on your own: carbs/sugars increase the insulin response in our bodies, thereby increasing fat storage and hunger signals. Exercise greatly increases hunger. For someone who is already overweight, the excess fat signals cravings that are nearly uncontrollable. The more fat you have stored, the more out of whack your insulin response is. Starvation mode diets (consistently eating under the calories you need - 400-1700 for example) work for a while, but as soon as the person stops keeping their calories below that threshold, they gain the weight back. If you want sustainable weight loss, you need to increase the protein in your diet, and add in lots of veggies. Several cups of greens and a lot of protein, then stop eating when you feel full. It isn't necessary to count calories. Keep in mind that fruit has a lot of sugar, so it is best to stay away from it until your body's insulin responses have normalized. Limit exercise until you have gotten the cravings somewhat under control, and then keep it light for a while (maybe walk 30 minutes 5 days). If you are hungry, have more protein. Learn what is a sugar craving and what is true hunger. Eventually, the crazy addictive pull of sugars and starches will die down. The more fat you lose and the less sugar you consume on a regular basis, the more easy it will become to keep weight off.

There were obese people long before McDonalds and televisions ever came to town.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I would suggest reading a book called, "Why Do We Get Fat" to you and pretty much everyone else (I'm sure it's available at the library). The calories in/calories out idea is much more complex than we are willing to admit. There are no studies out there that prove that simply increasing exercise and decreasing calories is a long-term successful way to lose weight and keep it off. If you want a short, VERY simplified answer without having to read and learn on your own: carbs/sugars increase the insulin response in our bodies, thereby increasing fat storage and hunger signals. Exercise greatly increases hunger. For someone who is already overweight, the excess fat signals cravings that are nearly uncontrollable. The more fat you have stored, the more out of whack your insulin response is. Starvation mode diets (consistently eating under the calories you need - 400-1700 for example) work for a while, but as soon as the person stops keeping their calories below that threshold, they gain the weight back. If you want sustainable weight loss, you need to increase the protein in your diet, and add in lots of veggies. Several cups of greens and a lot of protein, then stop eating when you feel full. It isn't necessary to count calories. Keep in mind that fruit has a lot of sugar, so it is best to stay away from it until your body's insulin responses have normalized. Limit exercise until you have gotten the cravings somewhat under control, and then keep it light for a while (maybe walk 30 minutes 5 days). If you are hungry, have more protein. Learn what is a sugar craving and what is true hunger. Eventually, the crazy addictive pull of sugars and starches will die down. The more fat you lose and the less sugar you consume on a regular basis, the more easy it will become to keep weight off.

There were obese people long before McDonalds and televisions ever came to town.
    Sounds legit.
  • bnbestme
    bnbestme Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good question. I think everyone who has a weight issue have asked that question. It begins with poor eating habits, stress, lack of knowledge and the brain also plays a part in cravings etc. But diet pills, and all those quick fixes in not the answer. I have struggled with weight for a while and like you said it is a matter of not putting the wrong types of food in our mouths and exercising but it takes time to change behaviors. So, I try to be patient even with people in my family who are much larger than myself and eating themselves into an early grave.

Changing behaviors is one of the most difficult things to do. Because people usually convert back to what are comfortable with so they can lose the weight but can they keep it off.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options

Sounds legit.
    absolutely and thanks !!!