Lifters! How do you manage muscle soreness.

Options
I'm starting today with some heavy lifting, 20 lb kettle bell and some barbell work. I know I'm going to be hurting afterward. What do I need to know in advance as far as muscle soreness? I get sore after regular cardio workouts so I know this is going to hurt. Any tips to manage the soreness?

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Aleve?

I personally like soreness, it means I did something right.
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Stretch after your workouts. Drink plenty of water. People say glutamine helps speed up recovery, but I don't use it. Personally, I'd tell you that you are simply going to have to endure the pain. It will be worst at the very beginning but it will get better each week. Within 3 weeks of working out regularly your body should be used to it and you will get much less pain. Personally I LOVE it when I feel pain from a workout, (And I'm talking about muscle soreness, not pain from an injury), because it tells me I've worked hard.

If you do want to minimize soreness then I'd suggest making your first few workouts VERY light and just focus on proper form instead of lifting heavy weights or doing cardio for too long. Treat your first workout like an enhanced warmup and gradually increase from there.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

First, I warm up for 5 minutes prior to the workout. After I am done with the workout, I stretch the muscle involved.

I rest the same muscle for at least 48 hours, meaning I do a different exercise the next day (cardio, Pilates, yoga etc).

I take Whey Protein 30 minutes prior and immediately after the workout. I also try to eat protein and complex carbs within 45 minutes after the workout

Finally, I have a minimum of one rest day. Just leisure walking or something like that.

Good luck in your journey
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The only time I get pretty good DOMS is after a Leg workout. I actually find that active recovery e.g. going for a run, bike riding, etc. helps with the soreness.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Some light cardio using the sore muscles seems to help most people and in general, training more frequently allows your body to actually adapt to the regular exercise so that you're less sore or less likely to be sore. If you train hard twice a week then you'll probably always be very sore since your body hasn't had to adapt.

Being a bit sore is a good thing, it's the chronic soreness you want to avoid. If you're chronically sore after having been training regularly for months then cut down on the total number of sets a bit or cut down on the intensity a bit (just a tad) and see how you feel next time around. With some tweaking you could adjust to just how sore you'll allow yourself to get.
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My massage therapist recommends Epsom Salts baths when you know you're in for some soreness. It has really helped me before. You can also try Arnica. http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/arnica-000222.htm
    You can get it at Whole Foods.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Yes, go easy the first week so you don't overdo it and put yourself out of commission for a while. slowly work your way up to avoid super painful results
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Make sure you give your muscles rest time (recommended 48 hours between heavy lifting routines). Also, epsom salt baths are good, but can dehydrate you so only 20 minutes or so.

During your workout, stretch the muscles - but only after you are warmed up. Some stretch after also.

Ice is better for muscle soreness than heat (heat FEELS better, but ice reduces swelling)...but alternating both works well for me. (15 minutes heat, 15 minutes ice pack, repeat three times).

Ibuprofin is your friend! :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1. Don't over do it. "Heavy" is a relative term...if you're doing something like Starting Strength then follow the program...start with unloaded bars and progress with each workout.

2. Stretch after you workout

3. Rest days between lifting days (this is where you actually get the benefit of your lifts...it's all in the repair)

4. Active recovery on rest days (i.e. walking, jogging, bike ride, etc)

5. Lots of water
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! ????
  • Windzer
    Windzer Posts: 104
    Options
    Things mentioned, plus a foam roller will be your best friend. Best kinda hurting!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Water, stretching and protein.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I agree with Windzer....foam roller after your workouts and actually anytime you want. Works wonders!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I incorporated yoga into my exercise regimen several years ago which has significantly reduced muscle soreness. I typically practice yoga twice a week - a full restorative practice after lifting heavy (increases blood flow to recovering muscles) and an active/power yoga practice after a spin class. On lifting days that don't include yoga, I still do plenty of stretching after my workout while my muscles are warm.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me is a really strong warm up. When I got back into lifting I would jog for 5-10 minutes or do the bike or something, then I'd be sore the next day. Now I jog for at least 20 minutes before I start lifting, really get everything warm and ready. I'll stretch during a workout and have a cool down after of walking home but the biggest thing is at least 20 minutes warming up to make sure everything gets good and ready. I do this every time and I'm a bit sore but not nearly as bad as when I skipped it or just did 10-15 minutes.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Learn to love being sore. Stretch, drink water, and drink protein shakes. I've also read you can try baking soda water as a lactic acid buffer. But too much can mess up several major body functions, so don't jump into that without a coach or nutritionist who can recommend safe dosage.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Stretch after your workouts. Drink plenty of water. People say glutamine helps speed up recovery, but I don't use it. Personally, I'd tell you that you are simply going to have to endure the pain.

This exactly, but use the L-glutamine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I embrace it. Then get a massage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    foam roll
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Water, stretching and protein.

^this . . . plus enjoy it. I love the soreness I get from a good workout.