Lifters! How do you manage muscle soreness.

Options
2»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Food, Sleep, and Sex
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday, that includes cardio like Zumba + weights. What I do is make sure I spent a good 10 minutes and do the stretches properly afterwards and I will not have pain the next day when I go again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcC8hZPwj6w&feature=g-list&list=PLmAFjufmvBsG0drOUhsy_W5HY2bGnwvD8

This link is a yoga program I got from youtube. I do the first 10 minutes of it and no more pain. when you do it really pay attention to the breathing and not just going thru the motion. The breathing is the key. learn it at home a couple of time. and you can bring the technique to the gym.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Really hot masseur and a glass of wine.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I make sure to warm up well (usually a 5-10 minute jog on the treadmill). I also take adequate rest in between sets. I eat enough protein and I drink tons of water. I do yoga twice a week and I cross train (running and spin class) - which really helps relieve the soreness! I eat bananas and potatoes for potassium to help break up the lactic acid in my muscles. I also have "The Stick" that helps massage out any knots or tough spots (sort of like a foam roller, but a little different).

Beyond all that, I just embrace the soreness :)
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Really hot masseur and a glass of wine.

<~~ haz hands and wine.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    foam roll

Seconded.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Stretching.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I had a huge problem with that. What is helping me is a quick 10 min warm up, like elliptical or jogging to get blood flowing. Then light stretching, then workout with weights, then heavy stretching. The next day I overload on water and I sometimes take Ibuprophin. Also, on new exercises start lower than you usually would because although your main muscles are strong your supporters may not be used to the new motion and they will be killer then next day. Get your body used to the motion before packing the weight. That was my biggest mistake. I started to high.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Things mentioned, plus a foam roller will be your best friend. Best kinda hurting!

Where would I get a foam roller?
  • jsblk3000
    Options
    Just start as light as possible on the first workout and work up to heavier weight in small increments on the next workouts. This produces the least amount of soreness and is a progressive routine that gets harder over time. Bodybuilders are generally the sorest because they are working to tear as much muscle fiber as possible to stimulate hypertrophy. So best advice is to find a strength or endurance routine, unless bodybuilding is your goal. Foam rolling and stretching are fine after workout activities to help you relax too but doing too much too soon is the biggest rookie mistake. *btw Amazon has foam rollers pretty cheap since you asked someone.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Only thing that works for me is heat and active recovery like cycling, elliptical, walking/jogging....

Stay away from pain meds if you can.

Stretching right after is fine but I wouldn't do any stretching without doing some sort of warm up on follow up days.

Foam rollers are not expensive and work for some people.

Just be prepared for some discomfort because nothing is really going to work all that well at first. Over time the soreness lessens post workout.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    The only time I get pretty good DOMS is after a Leg workout. I actually find that active recovery e.g. going for a run, bike riding, etc. helps with the soreness.

Me as well. I suggest a light run.