Juice Cleanse - Ever done one? How did it work for you?

Options
There are a few juice bars in my area, and I'm thinking about trying a 3 day juice cleanse. If you've done it - Was it good? Did you have a lot of energy during it? How expencive was it? How much weight did you lose on it? Would you recommend someone doing it - Would you do it again?

TIA!!!

Replies

• SnowWhite824
    Options
    Anyone with any actual experience??
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Tried the Juicing thing but the cleanup is too much. I recently just bought NutriBullet to make drinks and im loving it!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    There are a few juice bars in my area, and I'm thinking about trying a 3 day juice cleanse. If you've done it - Was it good? Did you have a lot of energy during it? How expencive was it? How much weight did you lose on it? Would you recommend someone doing it - Would you do it again?

TIA!!!

Did it for 12 days then I snapped and ordered chinese food. It cost me $27 for fruits and veggies for like 4 meals. My advice is use lots of :
    Beets
    Carrots
    Cucumbers

They are inexpensive and great for detox.
  • Lorri1957
    Lorri1957 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My oldest son did a juice cleanse once and said he'd never do it again. He didn't feel so great and did not lose a pound. He also said it was very expensive and not worth doing again because he saw no benefit. I'm not trying to persuade you either way because ultimately you will decide what's best for you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Practical advice: If you would like to add juicing to a solid diet, then that is a FANTASTIC idea. The benefits of that are many, not the least of which is that it's often easier to drink veggies than eat plate after plate of them.

But they do not cleanse, detox, and they will not substitute for real food. Get a juicer and throw in a few juice drinks onto a good, solid-food diet. You'll do much better that way.
  • htzen
    htzen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would just like to comment a different point of view and recommend you look up the alternative/ancient method of healing called Ayurveda, which supports doing cleanses so that your digestive system can have a break to clear out what it needs to. Ayurveda looks at our diets and health in a spiritual way and basically classes everyone under 3 different types of 'doshas', and some dosha types need more cleansing periods than others. Anyway I just wanted to mention this but feel free to do some research online about it. This method of healing has been used for thousands of years in India and China (and is STILL being used today) and it's a shame Western society tries to shun natural methods of healing such as these in favour of pharmaceuticals, which cover up the symptoms of a problem, but does not fix the underlying problem itself. Ayurveda works specifically to heal your mental, physical and spiritual imbalance by changing your diet and yes, doing liquid cleanses. Don't believe people who say "Cleanses are not needed" because chances are they just don't have the willpower to do them so they fool themselves into thinking cleanses are not helpful anyway. Or they have not done all their research because if they had, they would know that humans do not need to be gorging food every day and we can actually live off a lot less than we currently eat on a daily basis.

So do some research if you are really interested in doing a cleanse (to start I would recommend no more than 24 hours and make sure you are drinking lots of water/herbal teas/juicing during the cleansing period) and hopefully the Ayurvedic way will give you the answers you are looking for. :)

Just to be clear I am not recommending cleansing for weight loss, I am recommending cleansing as part of a healthy lifestyle and to give your digestive system a break from all the stuff we put into it every day.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Don't believe people who say "Cleanses are not needed" because chances are they just don't have the willpower to do them so they fool themselves into thinking cleanses are not helpful anyway. Or they have not done all their research because if they had, they would know that humans do not need to be gorging food every day and we can actually live off a lot less than we currently eat on a daily basis.

Yes, because not eating for three days take "willpower" - and not the fact that it is going against the base biological need to eat, lest we die.

And if you think that it is either juicing OR gorging, then you have a doomed relationship with food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't believe people who say "Cleanses are not needed" because chances are they just don't have the willpower to do them so they fool themselves into thinking cleanses are not helpful anyway. Or they have not done all their research because if they had, they would know that humans do not need to be gorging food every day and we can actually live off a lot less than we currently eat on a daily basis.

So what you're saying is that if a person disagrees with you they must be a weak person with no self-control. Couldn't possibly be that they have done their research and just don't agree with you?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would just like to comment a different point of view and recommend you look up the alternative/ancient method of healing called Ayurveda, which supports doing cleanses so that your digestive system can have a break to clear out what it needs to. Ayurveda looks at our diets and health in a spiritual way and basically classes everyone under 3 different types of 'doshas', and some dosha types need more cleansing periods than others. Anyway I just wanted to mention this but feel free to do some research online about it. This method of healing has been used for thousands of years in India and China (and is STILL being used today) and it's a shame Western society tries to shun natural methods of healing such as these in favour of pharmaceuticals, which cover up the symptoms of a problem, but does not fix the underlying problem itself. Ayurveda works specifically to heal your mental, physical and spiritual imbalance by changing your diet and yes, doing liquid cleanses. Don't believe people who say "Cleanses are not needed" because chances are they just don't have the willpower to do them so they fool themselves into thinking cleanses are not helpful anyway. Or they have not done all their research because if they had, they would know that humans do not need to be gorging food every day and we can actually live off a lot less than we currently eat on a daily basis.

So do some research if you are really interested in doing a cleanse (to start I would recommend no more than 24 hours and make sure you are drinking lots of water/herbal teas/juicing during the cleansing period) and hopefully the Ayurvedic way will give you the answers you are looking for. :)

tumblr_inline_mkx3sfQMZg1qz4rgp.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Until there is an actual scientific definition of detox and a list of toxins that get removed from your body from a peer-reviewed study by detoxing, I call BS.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I don't need to justify my spiritual/health beliefs to "online bullies" but good luck to everyone on their OWN health journeys.

If my comment resonated with anyone, then that is who my comment was intended for.

we're not bullies. you wrote something preposterous and we are responding to it. there is ZERO scientific evidence for or medical corroboration of the benefits of "detox cleanses" for clearing out "toxins". i'm sorry if that contradicts your beliefs, but those are the facts. the best result you can hope for from a "detox cleanse" is that it causes you no harm and isn't too expensive.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cleansing/AN00065
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda

mmm heavy metals are the best <3

just eat healthy and raw as much as possible (never go through aisles in the supermarket), drink lots of water and try to be active :)

edit: quite a breakthrough, " Hygienic living involves regular bathing, cleansing of teeth, skin care, and eye washing".. never thought of any of this stuff before... :laugh:
  • htzen
    Options
    I've read many books on spiritual healing methods so one on-line link that you post is not going to make me change my mind. I am not telling ANYONE that they need to do this in order to lose weight/be healthy, I was simply giving the girl who posted this topic a different point of view coming from someone who has the experience of doing a cleanse... which is what she asked for.
  • htzen
    Options
    Wikipedia is not exactly the "research" I was referring to.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

" Hygienic living involves regular bathing, cleansing of teeth, skin care, and eye washing".. never thought of any of this stuff before... :laugh:

I should probably wash my eyes more frequently. No one likes dirty eyes.

OP, please read the mayo clinic link. They have nothing to gain by telling people that "cleansing" isn't necessary. Fresh juices are wonderful - delicious and full of some of the nutrients your body needs, but you don't need to stop eating food. Your digestive system doesn't require a "break" any more than your circulatory system or respiratory system do.
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    i use a blender and just blend everything because my juicer doesnt produce much just and the cleanup is super tedious... and is expensive...
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I've read many books on spiritual healing methods so one on-line link that you post is not going to make me change my mind. I am not telling ANYONE that they need to do this in order to lose weight/be healthy, I was simply giving the girl who posted this topic a different point of view coming from someone who has the experience of doing a cleanse... which is what she asked for.

But please, continue to bash the opinion of a RANDOM person on the internet.... your day is looking very productive indeed.

it's not only one link. there are literally hundreds. and the links are from actual medical doctors, medical organizations, and scientists.

it's one thing to differ on opinions. politics. religion. whether or not ufos exist. it's quite another to refuse to accept established scientific facts. you can't insist that the world is flat and not expect people to tell you that you're wrong. you can't insist that the moon is made of cheese and not expect that you will be corrected. likewise, you can't tell people that detox cleanses are perfectly valid medical procedures and that people who disagree simply don't have the willpower to try them, without expecting to be called out on that comment.

you are wrong about detox cleanses. it doesn't mean you're a bad person. it just means that you are misinformed.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia is not exactly the "research" I was referring to.

yeah of course it isn't, but the things which the cleanse claims are involved are what I do on a regular basis. I have cinnamon daily etc... it just seems like a fad with a label from the surface. Especially when the medicines involved are found to have a high dose of heavy metals, it doesn't sound so healthy.

Of course it could be your thing and work for you, but I still personally go off the basis that you should eat a healthy diet, get rid of processed junk, only pop tablets when necessary (e.g. I need vitamin D - clearly I am a Cullen) and get regular exercise.

Plus juicing is like getting the fruit, taking out all the good stuff, and drinking the remaining liquid. All the good stuff is in the skin and ruffage. Like not eating egg yolks... it's ludicrous
  • Santosha21
    Santosha21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have experience doing juice cleanses. I usually do two, 14 day juice fasts a year. Fasting is actually quite good for your body. Our bodies are designed to withstand fasting and they can be very spiritual as well. Plus they give your Gi system incl. the liver a chance to rest & repair and clean itself out.

I actually find it very easy. The trick is you need to drink a TON of juice and water. (At LEAST half your weight in ounces of liquid/day).

The reason it can be hard in the beginning for some people is because alot of people eat crap all the time (processed foods, additives, preservatives, stimulants, sugar, alcohol, caffiene etc), so the first few days they feel miserable because they are actually detoxing from those things. If you eat relatively clean, it's not so bad.

After 3-5 days I start to feel amazing. Super light and energized. Very aware of my body and breath. Meditation during this time can be very good too. I do not exercise much during a juice fast and try to keep my stress to a minimum as my body repairs itself.

My juices are JAM packed with all kinds of nutrients and there isn't much I don't juice. For my basic everyday green juice I use lots of greens (kale, spinach, romaine, chard) parsley, cilantro, cucumbers, celery, green apples or pears, lemon & ginger.

Then I will juice any or all of the following ingredients: beets, pineapple, strawberries, cabbage, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, mango etc. I don't seem to get bored and I feel great doing it. Plus it gives me a chance to ingest more fruit and veg than i could possibly eat in a day in a much more absorbable form.

If at any point during the juice fast I start to feel tired or like I don't have not enough energy I'll do super smoothies as boosters: ex: bananas, ground flax seed, avocado, blueberries etc.

You can run the excess plant/fruit matter through the juicer a second time to help cut down on costs as juicing can be expensive. I use mostly organic when I juice except cucumbers, which i peel.

I ill make a big batch in the morning and store the excess in mason jars in the fridge for later. I do try to drink it as soon as possible as I have a centrifugal juicer. The masticating juicers are a bit better for storing juices longer as they don't smash up the enzymes as much as the spinning ones do.

It's a great way to clean out your body. Doing it twice a year reminds me to stay clean the rest of the year. My diet is vegan, organic and as nonGMO as possible.

Check out Dr. Maxwell Gerson's studies & Kris Carr's experiences / accounts of juicing and you'll be hooked...

Good luck to anyone who tries. Feel free to msg me for recipies etc.

Peace