Juice Cleanse - Ever done one? How did it work for you?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I can see in general my maturity level is far above most of the people on this thread, so I do not expect those of you making fun of me to understand.

Good luck and do whatever works for YOU.

In to read the rest of this thread. Am looking forward to seeing if there is a correlation between higher maturity levels and understanding of basic nutritional science.

Oh, and I'm also hopeful to finally learn of a toxin that is eliminated from the body by just drinking juice that otherwise wouldn't have been cleared. Perhaps this is the thread to finally answer that question. Perhaps.

ETA: Nope, apparently not...to either.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Anyone with any actual experience??

Er, yes. Just search the forums for previous threads and you will see plenty of stories (the search button is just above here in blue writing).

Mine is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/955625-7lbs-in-7-days

Expensive, stomach-churning, lacking in protein, messy, no real weight loss, no mindblowing experience, pointless, never again.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't know, maybe there is something to the juice 'detoxing' and doctors can use juice in leu of dialysis machines. I bet it would be a great alternative for kidney failure patients. Yes, this was just sarcastic silliness.

Silliness aside, juicing machines are not superior to the liver and kidneys. As many others have stated, drinking juice is fine, only drinking juice is not.

Phew! You had me going there :wink:
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I did one, and lasted precisely a day. If you're like me and have naturally low blood sugar you'll be dizzy and light-headed (oh pardon me, "will feel the effects of your body's cleansing systems resetting your body and detoxifying") and want to pass out when you stand up.

Yes, you'll lose weight, but it's temporary glycogen and water.

If you've had an experience where you have been overindulging or eating too many processed foods for your liking (for me that's conferences where I eat out 3 times a day and have to try and find vegetarian healthy options at an airport hotel etc.) then a detox might seem appealing. Just focus on eating foods with minimal processing, drink lots of water, and things will right themselves pretty quickly.

Your body has excellent cleansing systems - just let them do their thing. Water, water, water, and up the fibre a bit.
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    4d4cf31a-99f5-49dc-8afb-ceee9d445cc5-jpg.27433
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have experience doing juice cleanses. I usually do two, 14 day juice fasts a year. Fasting is actually quite good for your body. Our bodies are designed to withstand fasting and they can be very spiritual as well. Plus they give your Gi system incl. the liver a chance to rest & repair and clean itself out.

I actually find it very easy. The trick is you need to drink a TON of juice and water. (At LEAST half your weight in ounces of liquid/day).

The reason it can be hard in the beginning for some people is because alot of people eat crap all the time (processed foods, additives, preservatives, stimulants, sugar, alcohol, caffiene etc), so the first few days they feel miserable because they are actually detoxing from those things. If you eat relatively clean, it's not so bad.

After 3-5 days I start to feel amazing. Super light and energized. Very aware of my body and breath. Meditation during this time can be very good too. I do not exercise much during a juice fast and try to keep my stress to a minimum as my body repairs itself.

My juices are JAM packed with all kinds of nutrients and there isn't much I don't juice. For my basic everyday green juice I use lots of greens (kale, spinach, romaine, chard) parsley, cilantro, cucumbers, celery, green apples or pears, lemon & ginger.

Then I will juice any or all of the following ingredients: beets, pineapple, strawberries, cabbage, blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, mango etc. I don't seem to get bored and I feel great doing it. Plus it gives me a chance to ingest more fruit and veg than i could possibly eat in a day in a much more absorbable form.

If at any point during the juice fast I start to feel tired or like I don't have not enough energy I'll do super smoothies as boosters: ex: bananas, ground flax seed, avocado, blueberries etc.

You can run the excess plant/fruit matter through the juicer a second time to help cut down on costs as juicing can be expensive. I use mostly organic when I juice except cucumbers, which i peel.

I ill make a big batch in the morning and store the excess in mason jars in the fridge for later. I do try to drink it as soon as possible as I have a centrifugal juicer. The masticating juicers are a bit better for storing juices longer as they don't smash up the enzymes as much as the spinning ones do.

It's a great way to clean out your body. Doing it twice a year reminds me to stay clean the rest of the year. My diet is vegan, organic and as nonGMO as possible.

Check out Dr. Maxwell Gerson's studies & Kris Carr's experiences / accounts of juicing and you'll be hooked...

Good luck to anyone who tries. Feel free to msg me for recipies etc.

Peace

I'm glad it worked for you and your life style.

Having a said that, Max Gerson was a dangerous quack. His protocols have made people very sick and the Gerson "institute" should be shut down.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Those who do cleanses fail biology forever.
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I mix my juice with a bit (read ALOT) of this

grey-goose-category-image_zpseb9d90d8.jpg

Works great for me! :flowerforyou:

MMMMM love me some vodka now that is juicing lol just kidding
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I do an alcohol cleanse on occasion! Works great for sobriety!

Me too, I like to drink a lots of beer and alcohol that way I cleanse my stomach while drinking then the next morning I cleanse my colon and sometimes my stomach again.

Highly recommended!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    You do it and you'll end up being the 8th dwarf!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is just one of many cons from the new age movement & is also exploited by health companies. There is zero science behind it & the only thing being cleansed is your wallet.

The best way to take care of your body is to eat plenty of fruit & vegetables, cut down or eradicate on red meat, junk food, alcohol, tobacco & drugs, get plenty of sleep & do moderate exercise regularly. These things will keep your body working properly, there is no such thing as detoxing your body.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I once did the 2-week Natural Clease purchased at GNC. Pill form to detox your body while eating smaller meals.....once was enough for me....From Experience I'd say stay close to home...toilet becomes your Best Friend, jus sayin....:laugh: :noway:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is just one of many cons from the new age movement & is also exploited by health companies. There is zero science behind it & the only thing being cleansed is your wallet.

The best way to take care of your body is to eat plenty of fruit & vegetables, cut down or eradicate on red meat, junk food, alcohol, tobacco & drugs, get plenty of sleep & do moderate exercise regularly. These things will keep your body working properly, there is no such thing as detoxing your body.

Red meat... uh huh...
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree that a cleanse is good ,i would rather do my own home work then read this comments .
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I agree that a cleanse is good ,i would rather do my own home work then read this comments .

So then why do people with kidney failure have to rely on dialysis machines or kidney transplants? Why don't they just do a cleanse? Specifically a juice cleanse?
  • lawna73
    lawna73 Posts: 6
    Options
    There are a few juice bars in my area, and I'm thinking about trying a 3 day juice cleanse. If you've done it - Was it good? Did you have a lot of energy during it? How expencive was it? How much weight did you lose on it? Would you recommend someone doing it - Would you do it again?

TIA!!!

I drink fresh vegetable and fruit juice every day. I watched "fat, sick and nearly dead" on Netflix and started a 10 day cleanse the next day. Day 3 was the worst, mainly because I was detoxing off of sugar and caffeine. But day 4 I was a whole new person. That was in nov. 2012. Since then I have done a 3 day cleanse. Felt great the whole time, was even able to do my regular runs. I drink 1-2 juices a day, with a wide variety of vegetables that I would not eat raw. If you plan on doing a cleanse do your research. There is a wrong way to do it and a healthy, beneficial way. Friend me, message me, I will help if I can. My favorite websites with lots of info are www.rebootwithjoe.com and www.juicemaster.com. Good luck to you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There are a few juice bars in my area, and I'm thinking about trying a 3 day juice cleanse. If you've done it - Was it good? Did you have a lot of energy during it? How expencive was it? How much weight did you lose on it? Would you recommend someone doing it - Would you do it again?

TIA!!!

I drink fresh vegetable and fruit juice every day. I watched "fat, sick and nearly dead" on Netflix and started a 10 day cleanse the next day. Day 3 was the worst, mainly because I was detoxing off of sugar and caffeine. But day 4 I was a whole new person. That was in nov. 2012. Since then I have done a 3 day cleanse. Felt great the whole time, was even able to do my regular runs. I drink 1-2 juices a day, with a wide variety of vegetables that I would not eat raw. If you plan on doing a cleanse do your research. There is a wrong way to do it and a healthy, beneficial way. Friend me, message me, I will help if I can. My favorite websites with lots of info are www.rebootwithjoe.com and www.juicemaster.com. Good luck to you.

On what are you basing this conclusion?
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus Posts: 31
    Options
    I did the juice cleanse and found out the hard way I have a very strong Beet intolerance. I didn't last after throwing up all of day one. It kicked my stomach pretty hard. I haven't tried since then but I plan to ease into it. 3 days before I went on it I weaned my body from meat and junk. I ate mostly fruits and vegetables but it wasn't enough. I would try that for at least a week before juicing so you don't shock your body like me!!
    Let me know how it goes!!
    Add me!

All the luck
    Ignotus
  • Chip436
    Chip436 Posts: 14
    Options
    For me it was horrible. I was missing crunching food. I peed all the time. Plus I felt tired, because I wasn't getting all the energy i needed as well as removing important nutrients from the fruit if it was fresh. I would suggest it'd be better to eat the fruits and veg as they were (and raw). You feel fuller, have more nutrition and dont feel like youre stopping yourself from something. At the end of the 3 days i gained all the weight back, because I just ate and ate.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it for religious/spiritual reasons, go nuts. None of us are here to make you change your religious beliefs. However, it really is not worth it on the body, especially if you do the longer ones. So don't be going around saying it's good for weight loss/nutrition/what-have-you