Finger food help!

Options
chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
We are having a reception after graduation for my daughter with finger foods/appetizers. Will pretty much need to be filling enough for a meal since graduation starts at 6pm.

Looking for some healthy options that everyone will like.

Planning fresh fruits-pineapple, strawberries and watermelon (her favs), maybe mini quiches

Anyone have some great ideas for meats, sweets, veggies, dips??

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Veggies with hummus
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    Cowboy caviar!! With baked scoops! SOOOO good!
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options

Cowboy caviar????
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You could have a little build your own cracker station... you could have the largest section hold some Triscuits or Wheat Thins and then in other sections have tuna or canned chicken, small slices of tomatoes & avocados, some fresh basil or parsley, maybe a sour cream.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

Cowboy caviar????

Also called Texas Caviar and Poor Man's Caviar: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cowboy-Caviar/MoreRecipesLikeThis.aspx

I could eat the whole friggin bowl :blushing:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    How about bite-sized pieces of chicken or shrimp on a stick?
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Veggie Pinwheels

These vegetable wraps are easy for hands to hold and yummy enough to please picky eaters.
    Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
    Ready In: 15 minutes
    Yield: 4-8 servings
    Ingredients
    8 ounces regular or low-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup grated carrot
    1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup tiny frozen peas, thawed
    1 cup fresh broccoli, steamed, cooled, and chopped
    6 (6- to 8-inch) white or whole wheat flour tortillas
    Directions
    1. In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese, dill, lemon juice, paprika, garlic, and salt and pepper using a rubber spatula. Gently fold in the vegetables.
    2. Spread some of this mixture across each tortilla (1/4 cup for 6-inch tortillas, 1/2 cup for 8-inch), leaving roughly 1 inch bare at the top. Then, starting from the bottom, roll the tortillas up tightly (the filling will now spread right up to the bare edge).
    3. If you're making these ahead, wrap each tortilla in plastic wrap and refrigerate. When you're ready to serve, slice each tortilla crosswise into as many pinwheels as you like.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    One of the best low-cal desserts I've ever had was some sweetened condensed milk drizzled over fresh fruit. NOM NOM NOM!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    chicken (or tuna) salad, using low fat ingredients served with healthy variety of crackers, or celery logs
    make skewers of grape tomatoes, mozarella cheese balls and a basil leaf (kind of a mini caprese salad- can drizzle with lite zesty italian dressing)
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is shrimp cocktail. Low calorie, high protein, and delicious. Expensive though.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options

Cowboy caviar????

Also called Texas Caviar and Poor Man's Caviar: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cowboy-Caviar/MoreRecipesLikeThis.aspx

I could eat the whole friggin bowl :blushing:

That looks so good! I'm gonna have to try it! Thanks !! :happy:
  • busymom74
    Options
    Cowboy caviar is SOOO good. I make mine a little different.

1 Sweet onion
    1 Red pepper
    1 green pepper
    1yellow pepper
    1 orange pepper
    1 can black beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can black eyed peas
    1 can white corn

1/2 cup of canola oil, 1/2 cup sugar (sugar substitute works fine) 1/2 cup of white vinegar.

I get the low sodium beans and such and rinse then EXTREMELY well to get rid of as much sodium as possible. Mix the oil, vinegar and sugar together, dice the veggies and mix all the veggies and beans together and then add the sugar mixture to it.

Let it marinade for at least an hour but it's even better the next morning.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I'm gonna have to make some now. lol
  • busymom74
    Options
    Oh, we also use it as a topping to chicken. Just grill a chicken breast and put a nice scoop on top or put it all in a tortilla. Pretty low in cals too!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Oh, we also use it as a topping to chicken. Just grill a chicken breast and put a nice scoop on top or put it all in a tortilla. Pretty low in cals too!

YUM!!
  • rtg1
    rtg1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I saw this in Light & Delish Magazine and I'm making them Friday! :)

Buffalo Chicken "Wings"

1lb chicken breast tenders- Each cut crosswise in half, then length wise in half.
    1/2 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
    salt and pepper
    1 TBSP water
    3. TBSP cayenne pepper sauce
    1 TBSP margarine or butter- melted

Place Oven Rack 6 inches from the source of the heat; preheat broiler. Spray 15 1/2in by 12 1/2 in jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Toss the chicken with ground red pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Place on prepared pan and broil 3mins.

Meanwhile, in a microwave safe small bowl, microwave cayenne pepper sauce water and margarine on high for 10 seconds. add to the chicken in the pan and stir to coat (or just brush it on) broil chicken 2mins longer or until done.

Blue Cheese Dipping sauce

1/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
    1/4cup blue cheese crumbles(1oz)
    2 TBSP lite mayonnaise
    2 TBSP fat free (skim milk)
    1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Add it all to a bowl and mix!

Makes 4 appetizer servings. each serving is about 230 calories,29g protein, 2g carbs, 11g total fat (4 grams saturated) 0g fiber, 81mg cholesterol,and 880 mg sodium
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    small grilled chicken kabobs with tomatoes,peppers, onions and cabbage
  • chrissyh
    Options
    great ideas!!!!
  • busymom74
    Options
    Chrissy- I just came across a Spinich/artichoke dip recipe for the slow cooker if you want I can find and post it again. Eaten with Pita chips would be YUMMY!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Chrissy- I just came across a Spinich/artichoke dip recipe for the slow cooker if you want I can find and post it again. Eaten with Pita chips would be YUMMY!

PLEASE DO!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hummus with sliced tomatoes and whole wheat pita bread or chips.