How to tell if you're "too skinny"?

Options

Replies

• peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

This is Andreas Münzer. He was about 2% body fat. Would you say he's too thin? Of course not. The dude was massive, he just had no fat and a butt load of muscle. Go on a bulk, get some gains, cut and lose the fat you'll inevitably gain on your bulk. Report back in about nine months (assuming six month bulk and three month cut).

I'm.scared.forever.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    nope, usually you don't see it. other people are more than happy to tell you though.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, it's hard to say from just one pic. If you want a really good general opinion then you should post some more pics. Just looking at your profile pic, I would say that you do look a bit too skinny. But to each is own and as long as you feel good and aren't spending too much time watching your calories (don't think you need to for a while). You look very petite also.

Post some more pics!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    There have been three pictures (not counting the OP's profile pic) which have come under scrutiny, where people put up a human being for discussion on whether or not their physique is disgusting or desirable.

I wonder how that would go down in a thread about being too fat? Would it be okay to post pictures of people with a high body fat percentage only to talk about how disgusting you think they are?

The bottom line is that body shaming is body shaming, no matter what size the subject is.

there's a difference between body shaming and determining what is right and what is wrong

the body builder and skinny guy are extreme cases and shame or not both are not healthy ways to be.

i would refrain from judging the OP's skinniness from her picture, however, to say someone is skinny imo isn't shaming depending how you go about it, to be like omg you're skinny!!! you should eat frickin steak!! etc etc is shaming and shouldn't be allowed or even reported

to tell someone they could do with a few more calories in their diet based on their picture is sound advice
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is to see if you are below a healthy range of lean muscle mass, the amount of lean muscle mass is very important for a woman as she ages as we begin to lose it as we get older and this effects longivity and overall health. If you have very little extra fat then any muscle you gain will show up on your body without having to first cut your body fat. Do some research on your height and find the right amount of calories to gain muscle without adding too much fat. But if you are happy with the way you look now and you are not under the healthy amount of lean muscle mass, then who cares what people think, maybe you are just one of the naturally high burners, and should count yourself lucky:-)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    WARNING: THIS IS NOT IN JUDGMENT OF THE OP:

Just because someone eats a lot, or eats healthy foods all day long, does not GUARANTEE a healthy person. They could be eating well, BUT exercising heavily. I think the best evidence is the visual appearance of a person, not what can be manipulated and faked/padded in the diary. Just saying.

AGAIN: NOT JUDGING HERE.
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    We doctors use BMI to alert us to the RISK associated with someone's weight. If your weight to height ratio is SIGNIFICANTLY below a normal BMI, it would alert most that there is a problem with your weight and you are probably too thin.

There are health risks with being too FAT AND there are risks with being too thin.

Bodyfat plays a role but BMI is a good general judge. Or at least that's what we say in the medical community.

Oh and I'm referring to what is too skinny based on HEALTH risks not based on what is socially acceptable, attractive , desirable or what looks good. :)

Hope you are within a healthy range :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    There have been three pictures (not counting the OP's profile pic) which have come under scrutiny, where people put up a human being for discussion on whether or not their physique is disgusting or desirable.

I wonder how that would go down in a thread about being too fat? Would it be okay to post pictures of people with a high body fat percentage only to talk about how disgusting you think they are?

The bottom line is that body shaming is body shaming, no matter what size the subject is.

there's a difference between body shaming and determining what is right and what is wrong

the body builder and skinny guy are extreme cases and shame or not both are not healthy ways to be.

i would refrain from judging the OP's skinniness from her picture, however, to say someone is skinny imo isn't shaming depending how you go about it, to be like omg you're skinny!!! you should eat frickin steak!! etc etc is shaming and shouldn't be allowed or even reported

to tell someone they could do with a few more calories in their diet based on their picture is sound advice

There are numerous threads on MFP in the Chit Chat section that begin with "Rate the person above you" "Hot, Not?" etc, ALL asking for people to judge other people's appearances. Personally, I find that MORE offensive than anyone on here who has replied to the OP, who ASKED for our opinions.

So, I consider it hypocritical of folks who are quick to post "Yea" or "No" to the question "would you bang?", while calling others out for saying they think someone is too thin, or accusing others of body shaming. Any time anyone responds to a thread where people are being judged by their profile pics, THAT is also body shaming.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Nope! Not debating disgusting/desirable, I was illustrating how very little lean tissue at a low body fat percentage vs. a lot of lean tissue at a low body fat percentage can make someone appear "too thin" vs. very muscular. Other people have chimed in about how they feel about those bodies but that's not why I posted them.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    WARNING: THIS IS NOT IN JUDGMENT OF THE OP:

Just because someone eats a lot, or eats healthy foods all day long, does not GUARANTEE a healthy person. They could be eating well, BUT exercising heavily. I think the best evidence is the visual appearance of a person, not what can be manipulated and faked/padded in the diary. Just saying.

AGAIN: NOT JUDGING HERE.

If I didnt agree with you I would resort to the age old...YOU ARE SHAMING AND BULLYING...........:laugh:
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Acting like you have the right to determine what is "right or wrong" for someone else based on nothing but a photograph is not okay. I understand people responding to the OP because she asked for our opinions, but nobody in the pictures posted here asked for our interpretations on what is good for them.

If it is objectively not a healthy way to be, picking out human examples and using their pictures as evidence is not necessary or warranted. If it was objectively not a healthy way to be, you could make an objective statement and be done with it. I did that, I gave a specific number of body fat percentage that it is not healthy to go under. That's different than posting a picture of someone who has obviously suffered malnutrition and call them "Auschwitz mode bro" or a random woman in a bathing suit and saying how unattractive she is because her BF% is low.
    Nope! Not debating disgusting/desirable, I was illustrating how very little lean tissue at a low body fat percentage vs. a lot of lean tissue at a low body fat percentage can make someone appear "too thin" vs. very muscular. Other people have chimed in about how they feel about those bodies but that's not why I posted them.

I understand that you were just giving a visual example of a person with low BF% that nobody would call "too skinny." I know your intention wasn't to body shame, but I don't think the Aushwitz mode bro/DYEL comments were okay.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if you are too skinny from each of our personal opinions on aesthetics, or unhealthily skinny? I wouldn't want to be as skinny as you look in your profice pic, but if you are happy with that weight then you are not too aestheticly skinny.

I'd have to read your health chart or talk to you doctor to know if you are unhealthily skinny. Do you still have periods? Do you meet basic nutrition goals? Do you get winded easily during aerobic activity? Do you have good balance and sleep well?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

There are numerous threads on MFP in the Chit Chat section that begin with "Rate the person above you" "Hot, Not?" etc, ALL asking for people to judge other people's appearances. Personally, I find that MORE offensive than anyone on here who has replied to the OP, who ASKED for our opinions.

So, I consider it hypocritical of folks who are quick to post "Yea" or "No" to the question "would you bang?", while calling others out for saying they think someone is too thin, or accusing others of body shaming. Any time anyone responds to a thread where people are being judged by their profile pics, THAT is also body shaming.

Anyone on here wanna debate my point? Let's discuss the apparent disconnection between what it means to body shame on this thread, and how it's not body shaming on the threads "Would you date the person above you?" "Hot or Not?" "Bang, Hit or Drop?"

I'd really like some clarification, because to me, there is NO difference between them. And if anyone here is eagerly participating on those threads while complaining about body shaming on THIS thread, then I get to throw down the "hypocrite flag".
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Acting like you have the right to determine what is "right or wrong" for someone else based on nothing but a photograph is not okay. I understand people responding to the OP because she asked for our opinions, but nobody in the pictures posted here asked for our interpretations on what is good for them.

If it is objectively not a healthy way to be, picking out human examples and using their pictures as evidence is not necessary or warranted. If it was objectively not a healthy way to be, you could make an objective statement and be done with it. I did that, I gave a specific number of body fat percentage that it is not healthy to go under. That's different than posting a picture of someone who has obviously suffered malnutrition and call them "Auschwitz mode bro" or a random woman in a bathing suit and saying how unattractive she is because her BF% is low.

I understand that you were just giving a visual example of a person with low BF% that nobody would call "too skinny." I know your intention wasn't to body shame, but I don't think the Aushwitz mode bro/DYEL comments were okay.
    DYEL/Auschwitz mode is just a descriptive term for someone with little body fat and lean tissue. There's Auschwitz mode, otter mode, strong fat, and fat as fatass mode. Those are the are the major body type labels. It's simply a way of describing fat and muscle mass. Some people even want Auschwitz mode, mainly girls, but I know a guy on here that wants to be Auschwitz mode and refuses to lift. I'm not saying any of these body types are better/worse. Those are up to personal preference. I'm just using them as descriptive terms.

Oh and FYI that DYEL was intentionally DYEL.
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    As far as BMI not telling the whole story, this is certainly true. However, the inaccuracies of BMI are more for incorrect assessment of overweight individuals because it doesn't take into account muscle mass and thus people like athletes with low body fat might have a higher BMI. BMI is far more accurate/meaningful on the other end of the spectrum (underweight individuals).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good responses, some odd responses, and some people taking everything that gets said as somehow being personally about them, and being very overly worried that other people are going to accuse them of bullying and judging. Chill out, people, you have an opinion and a preference. That's fine. Other people have their own opinions and preferences as well. We are not all going to agree and that's fine. Just because someone does not have the same opinion and preference as you (and does not care about your opinion and preference), it does not mean they are accusing you of bullying and judging. Being a tad oversensitive on this thread and jumping to conclusions.

The Op eats wonderful (except I think it's probably still a deficit. I am very petite and I generally eat over 2000 a day), and she feels fine and healthy and likes her body. But, some people in her life have said she looks too thin. Most of us are helping her to explore why they may have said that, there are many reasons (they have a personal preference, they are heavy and have a skewed sense of what a healthy weight looks like are two examples). We are also helping her to explore this for herself. It's her body, she needs to explore and understand this for herself. She actually didn't ask if we thought she was too thin. She was exploring the concept because she clearly cares about her health and well being. I can't say whether she is too thin or not because I can only see less than a quarter of her body. I am being fully honest when I say that. I really don't know. But. somehow people are turning this into some kind of personal attack on themselves. If you can't take the heat (of stating your opinion and having other people have a response to that), then just don't express your opinion. Seriously, chill out a little. No one is judging you or thinking you are judging. Most people are responding without even reading your comments. And some people are reading way too much into things. She has a valid question and it's healthy to explore when a person has health as a top priority.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    As far as BMI not telling the whole story, this is certainly true. However, the inaccuracies of BMI are more for incorrect assessment of overweight individuals because it doesn't take into account muscle mass and thus people like athletes with low body fat might have a higher BMI. BMI is far more accurate/meaningful on the other end of the spectrum (underweight individuals).
    Not necessarily. I'm technically "underweight" with a BMI of 17.3 but I'm not too thin. I'm just fairly lean. I have an average amount of lean tissue (slightly higher in my upper body) but my body fat percentage is fairly low (around 15-16% with calipers). I certainly don't look sickly or unhealthy.
  • Meiya007
    Meiya007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay okay, I know this is the opposite of weight loss, but I didn't know where else to post it, and it's a legit question - while we don't want to be overweight to an unhealthy degree, we don't want to be underweight to an unhealthy degree either, right???

I ask because someone told me today I'm too skinny because I have a visible "xylophone" (upper chest bones), and I wonder if there's any merit to that? Or the visibility of other bones (ribs? that's the only other relevant one I can think of offhand)? Or is there some measurement of some body part that, if under a certain amount, would indicate too-skinniness? Or is it all arbitrary and dependent on the individual's body shape, and thus there's no universal tell for being too skinny? I just feel like there must be SOME way to tell, because obviously some people are too skinny, and there's likely some body characteristic they all have in common indicating that.

For what it's worth, I certainly don't think I'm too skinny - I have muscle, and I'm within half a point of a healthy BMI (and apparently the BMI measurement is BS anyway).

I would say the best bet would be to see a doctor and get a test to see if you're malnourished or not. If you are properly nourished then I would say, regardless of what you look like, you're not too skinny. The main concern with being too skinny is being malnourished in the first place.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to say anything about how you look, but since people seem to feel free to jump in, I want to say that you look small boned, but not excessively bony, and that I don't think we should judge something like whether you are too skinny from one photo anyway. You look like a very pretty, delicately built woman.

For me, too skinny is when it makes my face look bad.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here wanna debate my point? Let's discuss the apparent disconnection between what it means to body shame on this thread, and how it's not body shaming on the threads "Would you date the person above you?" "Hot or Not?" "Bang, Hit or Drop?"

I'd really like some clarification, because to me, there is NO difference between them. And if anyone here is eagerly participating on those threads while complaining about body shaming on THIS thread, then I get to throw down the "hypocrite flag".

I wasn't going to debate the point, because I didn't really see how it was relevant. I didn't even know those threads existed before you mentioned them, and yeah it sounds pretty offensive, but I don't see why we should talk about it in this thread.

I was just mentioning, based on my own comfort levels, something very specific in this thread that bothered me.
    DYEL/Auschwitz mode is just a descriptive term for someone with little body fat and lean tissue. There's Auschwitz mode, otter mode, strong fat, and fat as fatass mode. Those are the are the major body type labels. It's simply a way of describing fat and muscle mass. Some people even want Auschwitz mode, mainly girls, but I know a guy on here that wants to be Auschwitz mode and refuses to lift. I'm not saying any of these body types are better/worse. Those are up to personal preference. I'm just using them as descriptive terms.

I had no idea that those were commonly used body type labels.

I think there is significant bias in the naming of those labels. You say that you don't mean to imply that any one is better or worse, and I believe you, but the language used makes strong implications that some are better or more desirable than others.

I only know of DYEL being used as an inflammatory remark.

Anyway, thanks for the info.