Stop treating food like the boogie monster...

Options

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    496_900.jpg
    He's coming to get you!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    496_900.jpg
    He's coming to get you!

MMMM, he needs to be filled with french onion soup.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup and food loaded with sugar is as addictive as any drug. Your body will literally go into withdrawals once you cut it out because it's addicted. Your body can't process artificial sweeteners and preservatives so while you may lose the weight, you're internal organs are still pumping away as though you weighed a lot more than you actually do. If you aren't eating real food and are going for the processed "delicious" food, you are literally starving yourself and making yourself fat at the same time. If you wanna indulge, go for real sugar and whole foods like whole milk. NEVER eat fat free, sugar free or "light" ANYTHING. It's either the real deal or nothing, and even that is probably not doing you any favors because it has a bunch of unnatural BS in it that your body literally has no use for and can't process.

To each person their own. Eat what you want and look how you want, but don't be shocked when you're within a normal BMI on paper and then have a heart attack you never saw coming from plaque buildup you could've avoided if you had gotten over your sugar addiction. You gotta be smart about it, at least.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'll go ahead and be the one person here who does NOT agree with this posting, because the crap being passed off as "food" this day and age is literally killing people. 90% of the food sold in supermarkets these days did not exist 100 years ago. Mock me if you must! But if you show me a bottle marked "Poison" and tell me it tastes like cherry pie, I'm definitely not going to drink it. Eat at your own risk. :p
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup and food loaded with sugar is as addictive as any drug. Your body will literally go into withdrawals once you cut it out because it's addicted. Your body can't process artificial sweeteners and preservatives so while you may lose the weight, you're internal organs are still pumping away as though you weighed a lot more than you actually do. If you aren't eating real food and are going for the processed "delicious" food, you are literally starving yourself and making yourself fat at the same time. If you wanna indulge, go for real sugar and whole foods like whole milk. NEVER eat fat free, sugar free or "light" ANYTHING. It's either the real deal or nothing, and even that is probably not doing you any favors because it has a bunch of unnatural BS in it that your body literally has no use for and can't process.

To each person their own. Eat what you want and look how you want, but don't be shocked when you're within a normal BMI on paper and then have a heart attack you never saw coming from plaque buildup you could've avoided if you had gotten over your sugar addiction. You gotta be smart about it, at least.

I respectfully ask you to link any PEER-REVIEWED studies linked to your claims. Until then, welcome to the site and lemme introduce you to something called science and research. Ya know... things that are actually worth listening to...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options

What is artificial about Corn? sugar is sugar wheather it is corn syrup or cane sugar or beet sugar. and please cite some kind of source for all these claims? is there a study? This kind of stuff is just as bad as the people scared of real food.
  • taunto
    Options
    I'll go ahead and be the one person here who does NOT agree with this posting, because the crap being passed off as "food" this day and age is literally killing people. 90% of the food sold in supermarkets these days did not exist 100 years ago. Mock me if you must! But if you show me a bottle marked "Poison" and tell me it tastes like cherry pie, I'm definitely not going to drink it. Eat at your own risk. :p

So lemme get this straight, you don't trust regular good old butter from the super market because its been manipulated and altered and is now poison but would go for "I can't believe its not butter" because that isn't?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options

lets just compare life expectancy now vs this 100 years ago that you think is so wonderful and talk about what is "killing people". Again Please post some facts to support your insane beliefs.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Eat anything and everything. Just eat it in smaller portion. Move more. Tada. It is seriously THAT simple.

this this this!!!!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    4898909051_dd7a8b54df_n.jpg
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I raise my wine to you lol.

Food= yum
    though I do use some lower cal options if it doesn't affect the overall flavor of the meal

If you look at my diary you will continuously see low-fat milk. These low-fat etc options aren't bad by any means and if you can get flavor with less calories... well... that means more food for you to eat!

What makes me angry is when folks go on about regular yummy foods!

I don't understand what you are saying. first you say that people go on about fat free, low cal, gluten free, etc and say that they should learn to eat regular food in limited portions. then you say that you use low fat milk. Then you say that people go on about regular yummy foods. Which side of the fence are you sitting on?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Whateva!

I eat what I want.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, Taunto.

I eat a largely "paleo" diet, as I'm a mess of allergies and dealing with insulin resistance. However, I really dislike the good food/bad food way of thinking and the creepy groupthink that goes on when a bunch of paleo enthusiasts get together and start talking shop. The paleo group here on MFP makes me want to stab people on a regular basis, for instance.

There is a lot of moralistic weirdness that happens with respect to diet--not just from the paleo people, but all the "clean" eaters and vegan/vegetarians are guilty of this bizarre behaviour as well. What you eat doesn't make you morally superior, more pure, more enlightened or better than anyone else in any way. Yes, everyone likes to think their way is best. Before I was eating paleo, I was a vegetarian and even a vegan for about 20 years, so I've seen it all, haha. My wish is that everyone would just STFU about whatever they eat or don't eat and stop trying to use their diet as a cane to beat others with, or as a device to judge others by.

I wish that someone who is genuinely interested in why another person eats a certain way, and considering whether or not it might be helpful for them to do so was instead offered a book or two as suggestions, so the inquiring person could read and do their own critical thinking about the info presented. I don't feel it's appropriate to jump up on your soapbox and rant about how much better, healthier, smarter you are because you don't eat X. Let people think for themselves, let them be their own N=1 experiment, and come to their own conclusions about whatever info is out there.

Good post. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    But what about my wheat belly?!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I agree! Food is good for you, generally speaking, and necessary. And lack of calories aren't a measure of goodness.

I also agree that portion control is key, but it's not easy with the kind of treat foods that you mention. Buying a cream cake and having half of it or quarter of it and throwing the rest away? Difficult. I have done that sort of thing, but what I've found is that PART of the appeal of some of those treat foods IS the portion size! I seem to get a sense of well-being from slightly overeating delicious, rich food. Maybe it's my imagination, but I really don't seem to get the same feeling from a small portion of the same food. I have to admit that I have, very occasionally, eaten until I feel properly satisfied, and that I intend to continue to do that very occasionally. A day off from portion control :).
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Thanks for your very thought provoking and informative post.

I have a 92 year old grandmother and I'm extremely worried about what it is that I should be feeding her. What did she eat back in her day? I'm just concerned because you said that our bodies can't process all this new food. I don't want to give her a cheeseburger and have it come out completely intact on the other end. I don't think granny would find that very comfortable. What food exists today that didn't exist a hundred years ago? Please, for the sake of my gran, get back to me.

:flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    Options
    I raise my wine to you lol.

Food= yum
    though I do use some lower cal options if it doesn't affect the overall flavor of the meal

If you look at my diary you will continuously see low-fat milk. These low-fat etc options aren't bad by any means and if you can get flavor with less calories... well... that means more food for you to eat!

What makes me angry is when folks go on about regular yummy foods!

I don't understand what you are saying. first you say that people go on about fat free, low cal, gluten free, etc and say that they should learn to eat regular food in limited portions. then you say that you use low fat milk. Then you say that people go on about regular yummy foods. Which side of the fence are you sitting on?

I am sitting on the side where people don't scream "OMG you're going to get fat by eating a steak" or that "if you wanna be skinny, you better not use any oil, carbs meats or anything". From the place I sit, I get to eat a huge cheesecake slice and still lose weight because I was eating under my TDEE
  • gublercullen
    Options
    i5r70x_zps538d7dd2.gif
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    90% of the food sold in supermarkets these days did not exist 100 years ago. Mock me if you must!

That's a wild claim....where on Earth did you uncover that gem of a statistic? I hope you invented that one yourself and it's not something you actually read somewhere. Virtually every single food item I buy at the supermarket existed 100 years ago. :laugh: