Stop treating food like the boogie monster...

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    One of the saddest phrases I see on this site is "do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog".

I'm sorry but I like food - one of the great pleasures in life is good food cooked or prepared well and enjoyed in the company of friends and family. Not to mention fine wine!!

Unfortuately I have to balance those pleasures by exercising some restraint at other times. That's a price well worth paying.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I raise my wine to you lol.

Food= yum
    though I do use some lower cal options if it doesn't affect the overall flavor of the meal

If you look at my diary you will continuously see low-fat milk. These low-fat etc options aren't bad by any means and if you can get flavor with less calories... well... that means more food for you to eat!

What makes me angry is when folks go on about regular yummy foods!

I don't understand what you are saying. first you say that people go on about fat free, low cal, gluten free, etc and say that they should learn to eat regular food in limited portions. then you say that you use low fat milk. Then you say that people go on about regular yummy foods. Which side of the fence are you sitting on?

I am sitting on the side where people don't scream "OMG you're going to get fat by eating a steak" or that "if you wanna be skinny, you better not use any oil, carbs meats or anything". From the place I sit, I get to eat a huge cheesecake slice and still lose weight because I was eating under my TDEE

I like this side of the fence!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wow, while I agree that a calorie is a calorie, for some of us we just had to find a new way to eat given the demands of our lifestyles and getting our consumption and weight under control.

Sometimes that means we have to make every calorie count and getting our macros right , might mean giving up mass produced shelf food that doesn't require refrigeration due to the amount of food additives added in processing. Some of us don't get just eating "X amount of Calories of X"...

Hat's off to everyone who can eat everything in moderation... that would not be me. No one's Girl Scout Cookies should be left alone with me.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    One of the saddest phrases I see on this site is "do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog".

I'm sorry but I like food - one of the great pleasures in life is good food cooked or prepared well and enjoyed in the company of friends and family. Not to mention fine wine!!

Unfortuately I have to balance those pleasures by exercising some restraint at other times. That's a price well worth paying.

YES,, here is my reasoning also. I am a man, it has been said that all men are Dogs, therefore I can reward myself with food.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your personality as to whether you're addicted to food or greedy, the two look the same on the outside but there's different people on the inside requiring different approaches

an addiction, you do have to cut things out, it would be like saying to a crack addict yeah you can have one huff a day! you'll be fine!

where as someone who is just greedy can learn the control required to eat things in moderation

it's quite ignorant to say because you're doing something it means everyone else is capable of doing it
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of moralistic weirdness that happens with respect to diet--not just from the paleo people, but all the "clean" eaters and vegan/vegetarians are guilty of this bizarre behaviour as well. What you eat doesn't make you morally superior, more pure, more enlightened or better than anyone else in any way. Yes, everyone likes to think their way is best. Before I was eating paleo, I was a vegetarian and even a vegan for about 20 years, so I've seen it all, haha. My wish is that everyone would just STFU about whatever they eat or don't eat and stop trying to use their diet as a cane to beat others with, or as a device to judge others by.

This is pretty much where I am at. I am gluten free, I don't eat foods with added sweeteners, etc. etc. I don't do those things because I feel better when I don't. When I got sober I gained 65 pounds in six months because I suddenly had a bingeing disorder. Like the other poster who is a recovering alcoholic, I learned that alcohol is basically sugar on steroids, and when I stopped drinking booze, SUGAR became the object of my obsession. Today I live comfortably because I stay away from sugar -- and booze hah hah. No big deal, and I'm not asking anyone else to make that choice, I just want my choice to be honored.

Oh but anyways, that was all about me and not about the topic. People can eat any damn food they want to. They can lose, gain, or maintain on any food they want to. They're adults and can make CHOICES for themselves because they have the God-given right to freedom. We need to live and let live. The food nazi stuff on these forums is despicable. That was mostly what I saw when I first came to the forums and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended!).

Like you Taunto I am learning how to fit in the steak and loaded baked potato (hey, I had that two weeks ago and did fine!), the bacon cheeseburger, the omelette & homefries. Food should be enjoyed and we shouldn't get nuts about it. And we should butt out of each other's business when it comes to our food choices
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    I'll go ahead and be the one person here who does NOT agree with this posting, because the crap being passed off as "food" this day and age is literally killing people. 90% of the food sold in supermarkets these days did not exist 100 years ago. Mock me if you must! But if you show me a bottle marked "Poison" and tell me it tastes like cherry pie, I'm definitely not going to drink it. Eat at your own risk. :p

lets just compare life expectancy now vs this 100 years ago that you think is so wonderful and talk about what is "killing people". Again Please post some facts to support your insane beliefs.
    I believe I read somewhere than this generation of American children's life expectancy will decline for the first time in history.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup and food loaded with sugar is as addictive as any drug. Your body will literally go into withdrawals once you cut it out because it's addicted. Your body can't process artificial sweeteners and preservatives so while you may lose the weight, you're internal organs are still pumping away as though you weighed a lot more than you actually do. If you aren't eating real food and are going for the processed "delicious" food, you are literally starving yourself and making yourself fat at the same time. If you wanna indulge, go for real sugar and whole foods like whole milk. NEVER eat fat free, sugar free or "light" ANYTHING. It's either the real deal or nothing, and even that is probably not doing you any favors because it has a bunch of unnatural BS in it that your body literally has no use for and can't process.

To each person their own. Eat what you want and look how you want, but don't be shocked when you're within a normal BMI on paper and then have a heart attack you never saw coming from plaque buildup you could've avoided if you had gotten over your sugar addiction. You gotta be smart about it, at least.

Does sugar cause plaque buildup?? Did I miss something?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup and food loaded with sugar is as addictive as any drug. Your body will literally go into withdrawals once you cut it out because it's addicted. Your body can't process artificial sweeteners and preservatives so while you may lose the weight, you're internal organs are still pumping away as though you weighed a lot more than you actually do. If you aren't eating real food and are going for the processed "delicious" food, you are literally starving yourself and making yourself fat at the same time. If you wanna indulge, go for real sugar and whole foods like whole milk. NEVER eat fat free, sugar free or "light" ANYTHING. It's either the real deal or nothing, and even that is probably not doing you any favors because it has a bunch of unnatural BS in it that your body literally has no use for and can't process.

To each person their own. Eat what you want and look how you want, but don't be shocked when you're within a normal BMI on paper and then have a heart attack you never saw coming from plaque buildup you could've avoided if you had gotten over your sugar addiction. You gotta be smart about it, at least.

Does sugar cause plaque buildup?? Did I miss something?
    Depends. Context and dosage is important. Increasing carbohydrates can lead to atherogenic dyslipidemia.

1 of many types of studies.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/91/3/502.full

Saturated fat, carbohydrate, and cardiovascular disease.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Bump!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I enjoy food. My only rule is I must prepare my bite and then put my fork down. I chew slowly enjoying every flavor. I am in no hurry to swallow my stomach can't taste it. Only after I have swallowed will I prepare my next bite. This gives my stomach time to register the food I am giving it. I savor my food I don't shovel it.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    julia-child-photographed-in-1970-on-the-set-of-her-famous-television-show.jpg

409313_10151088496411304_35879855_n.jpg
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I raise my wine to you lol.

I second that.

Nobody is keeping me away from peanut butter, fro yo, wine, tater tots...

or any of the other foods I enjoy. I just watch portion size and try to eat healthier foods more often than less healthy foods.

Some people struggle a lot with eating just a little of some foods-often it results in eating more than they planned to and then they feel bad...moderation is not as easy for some as others...just takes practice. But you're right. Turning food into the bad guy is not helpful for anybody.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with eating food in moderation and not making any food the boogie monster. I've been through completely cleaning the house of tempting foods before and then have binged as soon as I have access to them. However, as the British Heart Foundation say on their website "For people in some South Asian groups in the UK the risk of dying early from coronary heart disease is twice as high as for the general population".
    You know what we eat for breakfast in the old country? Dough made with butter then deep fried in butter eaten with curry made FULL of butter along with dessert (yes, dessert for breakfast) thats made with... you got it... BUTTER! We taught Paula Deen and her butter loving, diabetic butt how to appreciate butter, baby. And yet, many of these Asians are skinny. Why? Because they burn it all up.

If your goal is to be healthy and fitter not skinny, then pointing out that some Asians eat ghee and deep fried food for breakfast but remain skinny is not really helpful. Thin or not, they are likely to be at much higher risk from coronary heart disease with that diet and it's hardly moderation.
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options

What is artificial about Corn? sugar is sugar wheather it is corn syrup or cane sugar or beet sugar. and please cite some kind of source for all these claims? is there a study? This kind of stuff is just as bad as the people scared of real food.

I agree. Sugar is sugar. In fact, high fructose corn syrup has about the same percentage of fructose as table sugar has. Metabolically, they're basically identical. So all that stuff about use "natural" beet sugar or "healthier" palm sugar is just marketing.

Food is good. Let's eat it. Totally not saying that I eat tons of sugar though. I just just choose to eat fruit and sweeten things w fruit as diabetes runs in both sides of my family.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had eating disorders on and off since I was 15 (11 years now) and My relationship with food is treating it as fuel! What goes in, gets burned off!

If I want Ben and Jerrys, I have a spoonful and put it back! I have one treat day where I eat what i fancy as a reward for being so good all week.

I work in an office mainly sat down for 9hrs so i need to eat good, healthy hearty foods for brain power too. xoxo
  • calculustiger
    Options
    I think a perfectly valid reason to eat completely clean is that you can generally eat more food for less calories. While I acknowledge that everyone is definitely not the same when it comes to eating habits (with respect to amount, taste, and frequency), for those who do like to eat frequently throughout the day, it is relatively important to consume low calorie dishes during this time. And although exercising is a wonderful way to add to the number of calories allowed, I don't think it is feasible, in every case, to just keep exercising more to achieve a surplus sufficient enough to eat "normal food", in particular, to not eat clean.

At the same time, I 100% agree that eating in moderation (learning to control portions) is incredibly important (though not essential, I'm sure there are those that make this work). I am a little confused at the part where you start by talking about eating in moderation, but then continue to the seemingly unrelated point that it will be difficult to lose weight by eating super clean. I can see the connection between eating in moderation and in difficulty in losing weight, but why/how does clean eating tie into that?

For your third paragraph, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't agree that losing weight is literally that simple (i.e. eating less, but eating tasty, "normal" foods), but, as constantly demonstrated on these forums, it is very difficult for a large portion of people to employ this technique. Obviously this sort of issue is completely personal; one cannot generalize the difficulty he has in staying on track to another person, so I'm not sure if it is that simple. Of course, if everyone could easily just switch to eating in moderation, then your point would follow immediately. In fact, it would probably be trivial.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    julia-child-photographed-in-1970-on-the-set-of-her-famous-television-show.jpg

wow... look at those chickens... i forgot that that's what chickens are supposed to look like.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We're all here for 1 reason and for most of us that reason is NOT just weight loss. Its FITNESS. Many of us would like to continue living a healthy, fit life for the rest of our lives. That includes eating yummy, delicious, butter, full of salt and/or sugar food.

While I can agree that food should not be feared and it's good to enjoy the food you eat. Whether or not a diet needs to include butter or much salt or sugar is purely personal preference.