No idea how you runners do it.

Options

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't know how runners do either to be honest I feel like I can run sometimes but when I do I don't even make it a minute if I do I'm so out of breath I can't run anymore I need to learn how to control my breathing and I think that would help me a lot
    This one's easy:

SLOW DOWN.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't know how runners do either to be honest I feel like I can run sometimes but when I do I don't even make it a minute if I do I'm so out of breath I can't run anymore I need to learn how to control my breathing and I think that would help me a lot

I had that problem before.
    Run slower.
    My problem was my legs wanted to go faster than my lungs could handle but by slowing down, I was able to get my breathing under control.
  • rachjenn
    rachjenn Posts: 87
    Options

I agree this helps loads - I concentrate on my breathing like this...
    Step 1: in
    Step 2: in
    Step 3 and 4: out.

See if that helps
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of answers or feedback you are looking for?

Lots of great suggestions so far which unfortunately don't work for you, so what else can be suggested?

if you don't like running don't do it.

i suffer from vertigo at times which means if I go swimming the movement of the water can send me completely off balance..so I stopped doing it and found something else to do..
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This one's easy:

SLOW DOWN.

If I went any slower id be walking backwards!
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This one's easy:

SLOW DOWN.

just go a little further every time, they recommend increasing your distance by 15% a week.

So let's say you can only do 0.5Km, after a week push it up to 0.65Km and so on, it really helps to work up your endurance.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Shoes make a BIG difference. There are two lines of thought on this
    - You go for minimalist shoes which basically have no cushioning in them at all. That way you are forced into using good technique because doing anything else is really painful!
    - You go to a running shop where they do gait analysis and buy some well balanced, cushioned shoes. Try a few out because they all feel really different. This will massively reduce the impact you feel but you will need to learn good technique and practice it to avoid injury.

What is good technique? this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

Personally, I use minimalist shoes for training up to 5K but it is taking me a long time to get used to them. Bare in mind I regularly run 13-15 miles.

Its worth noting that generally speaking it takes me 3 miles to warm up properly - you need to stretch out your muscles, clear your lungs, find a rhythm and get your head into a kind of meditative stance before you start putting the serious miles in. Once you get there though the time and the miles fly by and you come back physically tired but mentally rejuvenated.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I'm still working n the breathing side of things. I was terrible and full of phlegm and stuff all the time. The first few times I had to stop and cough/spit stuff out.

In terms of the impact, I suggest you maybe ask a trainer/gym instructor to look at what happens on the treadmill when you try and run. I'd also just check how old and worn your trainers are.

I seriously had to slow down to be consistent in running (ie not walking) and now I'm very very slowly speeding up again.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This one's easy:

SLOW DOWN.

Another thing that helped me control breathing was starting running on the treadmill (aka dreadmill lol)
    I was able to control my speed there - whereas I wasn't able to out on the pavement.

Intervals are also an option for you - run for a minute, walk/jog for 2, rinse & repeat.

And to the OP, you've been given plenty of options/suggestions/opinions.
    It doesn't seem like you're going to listen to them so I don't know why you posted.
    If you hate it, don't do it, and stick to jump roping and other cardio activities you enjoy.
    And if you can jump rope for half an hour straight (roughly 5k time), kudos to you.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this - REALLY LOVING ALL THE GREAT ADVICE : )
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    IMO it seems more of a mental barrier instead of a physical. Also, (from experience) highly look into a running shoe from a store that specializes in running. No they don't all cost 200+ I got my Asics for 110.
  • kapatts
    kapatts Posts: 19
    Options
    I give up. I have no idea how you runners do it. I just tried going for a run on the only level stretch of road near me. I got .73 mile according to this app I downloaded before I started wanting to shoot myself and headed back home. Having to watch for cars constantly was seriously screwing with my mojo, and the impact of feeling my foot hit the ground and having that reverberate all throughout my body and up into my skull made me want to punch someone. It was worse than what I feel when jumping rope. I also noticed per my HRM that I didn't burn nearly as many calories as I would have if I had jumped rope for that same duration.
    Your second sentence...look at your first sentence for the answer. We don't do that. We don't give up.

You might want to pick a better time to run if you're worried about cars. I start my day an hour earlier than I need to for work. So, I'm up and out and running between 4am and 5am. Over the course of my typical 3 - 7 mile morning run, I almost never encounter other pedestrians...and I see less than 20 cars. The vehicles I do see are mostly newspaper or bakery delivery guys and local buses. I make it a point to wave to the bus drivers as they approach from either direction. I acknowledge them, they acknowledge me and now they know to keep an eye out for runners, in general.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I ran 11km today, 10km yesterday....and the day before that...and the day before that.....well you get the idea. I run around a park for 20 laps if I need to. I run around a great big parkland area for it cause I love to. I run where there are NO cars...they don't stop for me & I'm sure as hell not stopping for them. My feet don't strike with the heel so I don't get a jolt when it hits.

How do we do it? We just do. We don't give up when we get out of breath in the 1st km/mile. We keep pushing cause you know what..... you are not going to die. Runners do NOT give up. Ever. That's why we love it so much, that's why we love to do it as often as we can.

We don't quit.

I don't know how much you expected to burn in such a short distance. I burn closer to 600 cals in an hour. Not huge but goo enough on a daily basis considering how much I burn with all my other working out during the day. Trick is to make is constant....plus are you worried about how many cals you burnt or how much fitter you are getting in order to just burn more when not doing anything?

Plus...if you want...try landing more with your knees bent just a little.... perhaps you will find you 'bounce' like you would when walking....I'm sure you don't hit the ground hard walking? I know I don't. I land more with my mid-foot an knees than anything...that way I'm getting a nice little squat thing happening.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    All this talk about running made me get up from my seat at work at lunchtime and go for a 30 minute jog! Feel much better now.

edited: (because my original posting was a bit judgemental and adrenalin-fuelled from my return when I read it back)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I ran 11km today, 10km yesterday....and the day before that...and the day before that.....well you get the idea. I run around a park for 20 laps if I need to. I run around a great big parkland area for it cause I love to. I run where there are NO cars...they don't stop for me & I'm sure as hell not stopping for them. My feet don't strike with the heel so I don't get a jolt when it hits.

How do we do it? We just do. We don't give up when we get out of breath in the 1st km/mile. We keep pushing cause you know what..... you are not going to die. Runners do NOT give up. Ever. That's why we love it so much, that's why we love to do it as often as we can.

We don't quit.

I don't know how much you expected to burn in such a short distance. I burn closer to 600 cals in an hour. Not huge but goo enough on a daily basis considering how much I burn with all my other working out during the day. Trick is to make is constant....plus are you worried about how many cals you burnt or how much fitter you are getting in order to just burn more when not doing anything?

Plus...if you want...try landing more with your knees bent just a little.... perhaps you will find you 'bounce' like you would when walking....I'm sure you don't hit the ground hard walking? I know I don't. I land more with my mid-foot an knees than anything...that way I'm getting a nice little squat thing happening.

...Actually I do kind of struggle with walking as well now that you mention it. It seems like the faster I go and the harder I go, the more "consistent" my stride is. But when I try to slow myself down to anything less than a sprint, problems begin to arise as inconsistencies in my footfall being to show up. I start to drift all over the place (as in if I were on a track I would not be able to stay in my line) and my footfall varies from step to step. Sometimes it's midfoot, sometimes it's forefoot, sometimes it's on the heel, and sometimes it's on the outermost edge of the foot (where I sometimes have issues with ankles rolling). This is also why I cannot safely use treadmills and it's also an issue during basic walking (yes I do sometimes fall over while walking lol. I am known to roll my ankle walking down the hall at work). In order to be able to keep in a straight line and keep footfall consistent I have to be moving at a sprint.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it has been mentioned or if you already have tried it but get fitted for actual running shoes at a running shoe store. They will determine how your foot hits and what kind of support you need. My arches collapsed and I had a pretty good bout of PTTD. My running shoes and running have never hurt my feet because they are the 'right' shoe for me to run in. Can be pricey but if you want tostart running, highly recommended.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Shoes make a BIG difference. There are two lines of thought on this
    - You go for minimalist shoes which basically have no cushioning in them at all. That way you are forced into using good technique because doing anything else is really painful!
    - You go to a running shop where they do gait analysis and buy some well balanced, cushioned shoes. Try a few out because they all feel really different. This will massively reduce the impact you feel but you will need to learn good technique and practice it to avoid injury.

What is good technique? this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

Personally, I use minimalist shoes for training up to 5K but it is taking me a long time to get used to them. Bare in mind I regularly run 13-15 miles.

Its worth noting that generally speaking it takes me 3 miles to warm up properly - you need to stretch out your muscles, clear your lungs, find a rhythm and get your head into a kind of meditative stance before you start putting the serious miles in. Once you get there though the time and the miles fly by and you come back physically tired but mentally rejuvenated.

This This This
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it has been mentioned or if you already have tried it but get fitted for actual running shoes at a running shoe store. They will determine how your foot hits and what kind of support you need. My arches collapsed and I had a pretty good bout of PTTD. My running shoes and running have never hurt my feet because they are the 'right' shoe for me to run in. Can be pricey but if you want tostart running, highly recommended.

Read above. It's not consistent at all. Plus they use treadmills which I cannot use.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    In order to be able to keep in a straight line and keep footfall consistent I have to be moving at a sprint.

Well at least that will burn the calories...

I'm a little bit top heavy to enjoy running - too much jiggling. I do fast walking instead and burn quite a lot of calories.

And i read this reccently
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/05/brisk-walk-healthier-running-scientists
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    This one's easy:

SLOW DOWN.

You can run with me any time - I'll make you look good!