No idea how you runners do it.

Options

Replies

• Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    These seem like all really good advice.

And I kind feel what the OP is saying only to a certain extent..I hate running when I do it hurts my shins and it just makes me want to give up..am I doing something wrong?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

And I kind feel what the OP is saying only to a certain extent..I hate running when I do it hurts my shins and it just makes me want to give up..am I doing something wrong?

Well I know that in my case it has a lot to do with neurological problems that hinder basic motor control, which is why I struggle a lot with walking and jogging. Yet not sprinting which is odd. I also cannot make lateral movements of any kind or step backwards. =/
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Yes - you are doing something wrong - running does not need to hurt! Look at my above post for details.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I give up. I have no idea how you runners do it. I just tried going for a run on the only level stretch of road near me. I got .73 mile according to this app I downloaded before I started wanting to shoot myself and headed back home. Having to watch for cars constantly was seriously screwing with my mojo, and the impact of feeling my foot hit the ground and having that reverberate all throughout my body and up into my skull made me want to punch someone. It was worse than what I feel when jumping rope. I also noticed per my HRM that I didn't burn nearly as many calories as I would have if I had jumped rope for that same duration.

it gets better .. everyday it gets better
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    To the OP...id suggest that you dont run. Dont even attempt it. Your attitude is totally a cant do wont do wont try and will only come up with excuses why you cant do it.

Get a bike.
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started running in February and literally could only go 20 seconds before wanting to die! So you are already waaaay better than me!

I can now run a mile straight through and am continuing to push because my goal is to be able to run a whole 5K by October.

I do not run on pavement but still got horrible shin splints. Icing was my best friend! Now my shins barely ache after I'm done! I agree with what you were told about being aware of how your food hits the floor. No heel first!

You can do this!! Just take your time and maybe find somewhere to run where the ground is softer.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're making a heck of a lot of excuses here.
    And that's why you can't do it.

You've got control of the way you foot hits the ground, others have given you suggestions on how to correct it.
    Go to a running store and have your gait analyzed, they'll be able to give you even better suggestions than we can.

You stated you wanted to run 5k to prove some theory.
    You're just going to have to do it.
    It's going to suck for awhile and be hard but it gets easier.
    You just have to push through it - that's how I get through my running.

Thank you!!! Glad someone finally said it! OP, you asked for help and now that you are getting it, you keep making excuses (please don't take this as being mean, I just saying what I see). If you truly want to run, get good running shoes from a running store that a professional has fitted you in. Download Couch to 5K (C25K). You will probably have to drive to a trail (I have to do this so it can be done). Put your head phones in a start running. You don't have to be the fastest person out there, I've been running for a year and do 8:50-10 min miles. Best of luck!
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Well I know that in my case it has a lot to do with neurological problems that hinder basic motor control, which is why I struggle a lot with walking and jogging. Yet not sprinting which is odd. I also cannot make lateral movements of any kind or step backwards. =/

that must be very difficult to deal with, I am sorry to hear that. I know with me when I walk(never paid attention to when I run) is that i walk on the sides of my feet not sure why but always have..makes me wonder if that might be my problem.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike running. I used to get sore everything from it. It took me a while to build endurance up to be able to do 5 km then 10 km then a half marathon. I find it challenging now, but I also love the endorphin rush that goes with it about 15 mins in and the energetic buzz I get for a few hours afterwards. I found the right shoes, changed my running style, I kept trying, I kept pushing myself. It has taken me four years to love running. No more injuries, no shin splints, no pain, just the great outdoors freedom feeling.

It takes time to adjust to something. But if you really, really still hate it after giving it a good go (a month or so minimum) then do something you prefer.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    So stick with jumping rope. Who said you have to run? There are plenty of other cardio options that wont make you want to shoot yourself. :laugh:

But just so you know, the running thing will get easier. Give it time.

^^^^^^^^
    I think running is great but I do not think swimming is that much fun...therefore I run instead of swim. If I loved swimming I would likely swim instead of run. If you don't like it don't do it.

With that said...the tips of shortening your stride, working on footfall....I like to think about running like I am sneaking up on someone...I immediately lighten my foot strike, get good shoes, get good music etc and you might find you do like...but not need to do something you hate.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    So stick with jumping rope. Who said you have to run? There are plenty of other cardio options that wont make you want to shoot yourself. :laugh:

But just so you know, the running thing will get easier. Give it time.

^^^^^^^^
    I think running is great but I do not think swimming is that much fun...therefore I run instead of swim. If I loved swimming I would likely swim instead of run. If you don't like it don't do it.

With that said...the tips of shortening your stride, working on footfall....I like to think about running like I am sneaking up on someone...I immediately lighten my foot strike, get good shoes, get good music etc and you might find you do like...but not need to do something you hate.

Music I can't do but I can look into earplugs if it might help. I have found that sound--any kind of sound--throws me off and makes me more likely to drift or lose my footing.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    just break up
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Barney Stinson: Step one to running a marathon: You run. There is no step two.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Here's how to do it:

Start with walking, then run just 1 minute VERY SLOWLY, then walk 5 minutes. Switch back and forth, 5 walking, 1 minute slow running, 5 walking---15-20 minutes every other day for a week or two, then begin to do 4 minutes of walking, 2 running [SLOWLY--this means you should be able to talk, you should not be panting]. Build up like this very slowly.
    Do it on grass or dirt or a treadmill.
    Wear good running shoes.
    If you run on hard surfaces [sidewalk, brick] you will hurt yourself eventually.

I have trained many, many runners from never having run to completing marathons---and the mistake I see over and over is that people try to run too fast, get out of breath, think they hate running and give up very quickly.

Jeff Galloway has a good book on walking-to-running.

It is worth it.
    Finally, having run the Boston Marathon several times, my heart is broken tody.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Well I know that in my case it has a lot to do with neurological problems that hinder basic motor control, which is why I struggle a lot with walking and jogging. Yet not sprinting which is odd. I also cannot make lateral movements of any kind or step backwards. =/
    [/quote]

OP, I am sorry to hear you have neurological issues that cause problems for you. I totally get it. I had surgery in September to remove an Acoustic Neuroma (benign brain tumor) They wrap around the hearing and balance nerves. I am now deaf in my left ear and I feel my body being pulled to the right. BUT....I was not a runner prior to surgery. I am now halfway through the Couch to 5k program. The other's are right. You can't give up! Giving up to me (personally) is death. So you can't run. What can you do? Because of my balance issues I have to modify a lot of things. Too many examples to list. But since you mentioned you can't even walk at times without falling over, maybe you should get some Nordic walking poles. I used them when I was in the hospital instead of a walker. They helped me feel more grounded to the earth. They can help you keep your balance. I'm not trying to be harsh with you, I am trying to be supportive. You have to tell yourself you CAN do things. Otherwise nothing will change. Good luck to you!
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Here's how to do it:

Start with walking, then run just 1 minute VERY SLOWLY, then walk 5 minutes. Switch back and forth, 5 walking, 1 minute slow running, 5 walking---15-20 minutes every other day for a week or two, then begin to do 4 minutes of walking, 2 running [SLOWLY--this means you should be able to talk, you should not be panting]. Build up like this very slowly.
    Do it on grass or dirt or a treadmill.
    Wear good running shoes.
    If you run on hard surfaces [sidewalk, brick] you will hurt yourself eventually.

I have trained many, many runners from never having run to completing marathons---and the mistake I see over and over is that people try to run too fast, get out of breath, think they hate running and give up very quickly.

Jeff Galloway has a good book on walking-to-running.

It is worth it.
    Finally, having run the Boston Marathon several times, my heart is broken tody.

As mentioned above I struggle just as much with walking.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    just break up

She has my CDs. I can't live without my CDs.
  • JustLealah
    JustLealah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to visit a doctor about your equilibrium, perhaps there's something else going on with you to affect your balance. If you don't have an actual problem there, then you are just making excuses. It wasn't easy for most runners to become runners, they just went out and did it and pushed through their discomfort. As it's been pointed out, there are numerous great suggestions here, and you seem to have a rebuttal for every one of them. It's plain and simple, you either want to run and find a way to make it work, or you don't want to run and you just don't do it. This isn't a debate.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    It sounds like you need to visit a doctor about your equilibrium, perhaps there's something else going on with you to affect your balance. If you don't have an actual problem there, then you are just making excuses. It wasn't easy for most runners to become runners, they just went out and did it and pushed through their discomfort. As it's been pointed out, there are numerous great suggestions here, and you seem to have a rebuttal for every one of them. It's plain and simple, you either want to run and find a way to make it work, or you don't want to run and you just don't do it. This isn't a debate.

Diagnosed w/ Asperger Syndrome & Dyspraxia. My basic motor control is very spotty and varies depending on the day. Basically, I have to "re-learn" how to move every day because when I go to sleep at night it resets to a random severity. Some days I can run okay, other days I can't safely use stairs. Sounds, lights, and seeing movement throw off my balance as well. Fine with doing things that require generating explosive force and leaving it at that, but for anything requiring more control I choke.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    When I started running I got on a treadmill and I ran for a little bit, then I walked until I caught my wind and I ran a little bit and continued like that until I could do neither or wanted to move to the ellipticals.

The first time I ran an unbroken (no walking) mile I was ecstatic if not jubilant. I wished I had heard about couch-to-5k because it will get you into running form. It's not about improving your cardio its getting your muscles and bones used to how running is different from walking or jumping rope or whatever, I had to increase my ability to run by trial and error.

Everyone talked already about going to a running store and getting fit for shoes, if you want to run, do this, your feet will thank you. And like you, I spent a lot of time running on my heels and I am working now towards landing on the middle to front of my feet. I was inflicted with Planar Faciatias because I had really bad form and I'm making effort to change that.

That being said, I love running, I'm running/have run something obscene like 20 races in 2013 including a 1/2 marathon, the warrior dash and tough mudder.

If you run on roads, run on the left side of the street so you can see the cars coming towards you (hopefully not right at you). If you decide that you want to run, and you don't want to run on the streets, find a park or the like near you.

Go to http://www.traillink.com/ if you don't know where any trails are around you, you'll be surprised, they are there somewhere...