7 YEARS CANCER FREE TODAY! WOO-HOO!

Options
lhalket
lhalket Posts: 75 Member
Good Day to all you wonderful people just starting, struggling, maintaining and achieving on this site. Today is a beautiful day and I wanted to take a moment of your time if you don't mind to make a Public Service Announcement. If you take a moment to read my story you'll find out why.

In January 2006 I went in for my annual mammogram - not a pleasant topic I know, but a necessary evil for us women. I wasn't worried, I mean after all, I was only 44 and there was no family history of breast cancer, no big deal. Even when the technician kept coming in to take additional pictures I didn't worry as they always did that due to the "fatty tissue deposits" I had (some of you women out there will know what I mean).

About a week later I received a phone call saying they found something "suspicious", and they wanted me to have a needle biopsy (worst procedures ever...almost). So I went...alone (no family in the area), still thinking, they probably made a mistake and were just being careful. After the procedure I asked the technician if I could see the images they took and had her explain to me what they saw.

What they saw were tiny, tiny specks of cancer (the size of a straight pin head)! They looked like black dots on the screen to me.

After another week or so of waiting the final results came in that it was cancer (DCIS) and they recommended I find a surgeon.

I found a wonderful surgeon who then performed a lumpectomy, and sent me to meet with a radiologist and oncologist. When the results came back from the Mayo Clinic he called me back in and said they got what they could, but were not 100% sure as that the cancer was very close (1/10 mm) to spreading to the lymph nodes and outer breast tissue. He recommended a single mastectomy and without missing a beat, I told him no - if you take one, you take both - I'm never going through this again (cancer can move from one breast to the other).

On April 16, 2006 I had my double mastectomy and thankfully did not have to have chemo or radiation.

So today I CELEBRATE LIFE and this incredible journey on MFP that I started in January. :happy:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Ladies (and gents) pay attention! PLEASE, PLEASE do not neglect your bodies. HAVE YOUR ANNUAL MAMMOGRAMS! And if you find yourself in this unfortunate position, and have the capability, try to interview all your doctors before making any decisions. It is overwhelming I know, but I interviewed 4 plastic surgeons for my reconstruction before I found one I was comfortable with.

Life is a gift...embrace it, enjoy it and love those around you. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Very nice words, and excellent news of being cancer free!
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary!
    And you are so right. Nobody knows your body like you so pay attention to it!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!

Praise the Lord!
  • AprilEC
    AprilEC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This March I am 9 years breast cancer free!! I had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks radiation. A 1 in 2 million cancer when I was 18. LIVE LOVE LAUGH!!!!!! Celebrate every day and know that you were given only one body....we need to take care of it!!!!! Congratulations on your years of being cancer free. Even being free of it, is a hard road. But it makes you that much better and that much stronger!!!!!
  • sissypunks
    Options
    so glad they found it early!!
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That was wonderful to read as a family member is currently waiting for her test results from a biopsy.
    Congratulations on fighting so hard and coming through!
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing I cried! What a strong woman you are congratulations on beating the cancer and spreading love everywhere you are. So very thankful everything turned out well and here you are giving us motivation and inspiration everyday. You are amazing!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Happy Cancer Free Anniversary! Those rock. :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! Thanks for sharing your story!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    HAPPY HEALTHY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what a wonderful thing to celebrate.

I wish you continued health and thank you for sharing your message!

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Wow! you are truly inspiring. What a strong women you are. Congrats on being cancer free!! Just amazing!!
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Congradulations :) Truly enjoy the little things that lift has to offer. Love with all your heart and have no regrets. tomorrow is never promised so it is better to live for today. :)

I was diagnosed with Acute Lympothatic Leukemia when I was 11. I will be cancer free for 20 years as of December.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Phenominal!
  • Sherman7057
    Sherman7057 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great job!! :) Have a great day on your 7 year anny
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Amazing, what a woman.

Bless you and your story :)
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great news! Thank you for that wonderful reminder..,. I think people, especially women, neglect ourselves as we focus on caring for others...
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    definitely something to celebrate!!!
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Happy 7th!! hi5
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Good for you, here's to life and an appreciation of how precious it is.
  • fatpammyd
    fatpammyd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for sharing! congratulations to you and good for you for keeping healthy!

I am also a cancer survivor - diagnosed with stage 3 occult breast cancer in november 2009, completed treatment fall 2010 (surgery, chemo, rads) - then they said spread to my neck...so far stable, so I'm "stable" at stage 4 for 2.5 years!!! I treated myself to reconstruction (fall 2011 and jan 2012)...and now I'm trying to lose weight so I can stay stable!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!