Replies

• vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!!!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! My mom had a very similar experience, and at a young age too. I believe she was 46 when they found it, so I understand how hard the process is. This is definitely something to be proud of! Do something a little special today to celebrate!
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your kind words - you are making this day even better! :flowerforyou:
  • FitToFifty
    FitToFifty Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That is the best kind of success story!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    GOD IS GOOD!

This story made my day, thanks for sharing.

Breast cancer survivors are the reason I started running, so I I could run a SBK race for the cure. Now running is my "thang" and I love it dearly.

You are my hero!
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! Such bravery ; } Curious if your eating habits and nutrition changed after your diagnosis....I will add here I did not read all 3 pages. Watching Ricki now and she has guests on that got me thinking I might prolong my life by diet alone.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Very good. Thank you so much for sharing, and I am so happy that the cancer is gone. :smile:
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats and Happy Anniversary. I will be 2 years in Dec. Diagnosed at 40. Life is precious. Enjoy every moment. :flowerforyou:
  • chrissilini
    chrissilini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! Such bravery ; } Curious if your eating habits and nutrition changed after your diagnosis....I will add here I did not read all 3 pages. Watching Ricki now and she has guests on that got me thinking I might prolong my life by diet alone.

For me, yes. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, had double mastectomy with reconstruction. No family history and 40 years old. We hear all the time how being overweight causes health problems. I guess I just never thought cancer would be one of them. It was the motivation I needed to lose, lost 41 pounds so far, and start taking care of my body. I don't eat perfectly, but I make sure to get in lots of fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I exercise almost every day. I figured there wasn't anything else I could do to prevent getting cancer again so I'm doing what I can control. Even my oncologist agreed!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and congrats to you and all the other survivors who posted.

I had my first mammogram this month and was called back for a recheck. With every picture, the mammo tech showed me the very obvious blip on the scan. "Yup, there it is.". "There it is again". My knees were rattling. Then the radiologist sent me home... Normal tissue. I'm so glad I went to get that baseline!

Mammograms are uncomfortable, but so important. I know there are a lot of false alarms like mine that cause stress, but look at all these great women who caught their cancers early.

And for that matter, I'll add my own PSA... Get your Pap test done and request the HPV test. Especially if you have had any new partners since your last PAP. If you're human and you've had sex, chances are you have been or will be exposed to HPV. We almost all are exposed, and most of us will not have any issue... It will clear on its own. Unless you are exposed to an aggressive strain. Get your Pap done. And don't be embarrassed to ask for an STD test if you've had a new partner. Most STDs don't cause symptoms in women but can have serious consequences if left untreated.

(sorry, I used to work in the women's healthcare field and heard too many stories from OBGYNs. )
  • lhalket
    Options
    GOD IS GOOD!

This story made my day, thanks for sharing.

Breast cancer survivors are the reason I started running, so I I could run a SBK race for the cure. Now running is my "thang" and I love it dearly.

You are my hero!

Actually you are our HERO! Thank you for running!!! Running has never been my "thang" either but I recently started a C25K workout - I love the running - unfortunately my knees don't! LOL
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Amen what a blessing. All thanks go to God!
  • lhalket
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and congrats to you and all the other survivors who posted.

I had my first mammogram this month and was called back for a recheck. With every picture, the mammo tech showed me the very obvious blip on the scan. "Yup, there it is.". "There it is again". My knees were rattling. Then the radiologist sent me home... Normal tissue. I'm so glad I went to get that baseline!

Mammograms are uncomfortable, but so important. I know there are a lot of false alarms like mine that cause stress, but look at all these great women who caught their cancers early.

And for that matter, I'll add my own PSA... Get your Pap test done and request the HPV test. Especially if you have had any new partners since your last PAP. If you're human and you've had sex, chances are you have been or will be exposed to HPV. We almost all are exposed, and most of us will not have any issue... It will clear on its own. Unless you are exposed to an aggressive strain. Get your Pap done. And don't be embarrassed to ask for an STD test if you've had a new partner. Most STDs don't cause symptoms in women but can have serious consequences if left untreated.

(sorry, I used to work in the women's healthcare field and heard too many stories from OBGYNs. )

Yes - those call backs are nerve wrecking - I think I had so many over the years that I got "used to it" - so didn't really think about it the last time.

And thanks for the piggy back PSA!
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and amazing. So so happy for you! :)
  • lhalket
    Options

For me, yes. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, had double mastectomy with reconstruction. No family history and 40 years old. We hear all the time how being overweight causes health problems. I guess I just never thought cancer would be one of them. It was the motivation I needed to lose, lost 41 pounds so far, and start taking care of my body. I don't eat perfectly, but I make sure to get in lots of fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I exercise almost every day. I figured there wasn't anything else I could do to prevent getting cancer again so I'm doing what I can control. Even my oncologist agreed!

I'm doing the same thing - I eat as clean as possible (still have the occasional splurge on something I shouldn't) - but I figure the healthier I eat and the more exercise I get will keep me strong to battle the next blip on the screen whatever that may be!
  • PaulFields56
    PaulFields56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. It truly is cause to celebrate. Enjoy your day, and every day.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Celebrate!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    congratulations! thats awesome! My husband is 6 years cancer free and we celebrate his life daily. What a great thing to celebrate, life.
  • Melaney1
    Melaney1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story and congrats to you also.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    God has blessed you. Thank you for sharing your story with everyone here and preaching the importance of going to the doctors!! I lost my aunt to breast cancer. It was one of the most traumatic experiences - everyday I think about her. If only she had been more aggressive, she might still be here. I also lost a good friend, at age 35, in January to breast cancer. She was only diagnosed two years ago.. but it was so progressive, there was no time. She, too, failed to go in for yearly appointments. It's SO IMPORTANT to take care of your health.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!