Am I eating too much food or not enough food???

2»

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    If you're burning that much and not eating it back no wonder you are tired! Eat back at least 2/3 of each workout and you'll feel better. Bread and pasta aren't toxic you know, they are perfectly safe foodstuffs, and will help you sleep better at night. You really can't live on juiced veggies and fruit alone, you need some proteien and carbs - carbs are also non-toxic!

If you find you ahve a problem because you eat too much of them, invest in a food scale and weigh your pasta and potatoes - 75g of uncooked pasta is not excessive and will give your digestion something to work on.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    is there any reason you juice 2 meals?

whats wrong with pasta bread or potatoes?

and i really hope 'working out 4 times a day' is a typo....

^This

And white foods...why be racist. Some really yummy foods are white.

And yes, four times a day seems strange, unless you are counting walks. Technically I exercise several times a day, if you count jogging up a couple flights of stairs to get to a meeting and walking from the parking garage to my desk and back again.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    This question was just asked in another thread, so, sorry for the copy pasta but its applicable:

You most likely don't need to be eating that little to see results.

Check out this, long, but definitely worth the read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Short and sweet, calculate your TDEE*, subtract 10-20%, eat that amount as your TOTAL calories, not NET. To increase the benefits of weightloss and for supplementing body composition changes, eat adequate protein, lift heavy and move fast a few times a week.

*A lot of people overestimate TDEE... unless you're on your feet all day for work or lifting constantly at work then your little 1-2 hour workout every night or every other night doesn't make you moderately or maybe even lightly active. Be a little conservative with your TDEE calculation and a good check is to see that you're at least consuming a TOTAL of calories above your BMR or pretty darn close to it.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    So increase the caloric intake to 1700 a day for a month? Im burning 600-900 calories a workout. 3 - 4 times a week.

Do you feel tired? Yes
    Losing motivation? Yes
    headaches? Occasionally
    Problems sleeping? Yes getting to sleep and staying asleep

Thats why I put this post out here hoping all of you fabulous peeps will help get me back on track.

I'm so glad you decided to look into this more! I am currently eating around 1900 cals/day and slowly losing while maintaining muscle. I think you'll find you can eat a lot more and you don't have to be so strict on your diet. You're going to see results! Do the calculations like others have suggested. You can do this!
  • buckeyegurl74
    buckeyegurl74 Posts: 13 Member
    Just so I am clear...do you eat back the calories you burned working out or should you be under your calorie goal (according to MFP) by the amount of calories you burned?
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    How have you established your calorie goal? If you calculated your TDEE (includes all daily activity, even exercise) and created a deficit from that by subtracting 20% then no, do not eat back your exercise calories, TDEE - 20% is your TOTAL calorie goal. In fact, I don't even track them, I track it as 1 cal burned so that it doesn't mess with my cal goals and my macros.

If you're still following MFPs 1200 cals NET per day, then yes, eat back your exercise calories. Since MFPs cal burns are usually overestimated, I recommend and a lot of other people do to, eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories as opposed to all of them. You can start with 50% and see how you feel, what the scale does, etc. If you're still feeling run down and tired and losing rapidly, try eating back more. 0.5-1lb per week loss is recommended to preserve lean body mass. Also, try to eat adequate protein if you are working out, specifically if you are weightlifting, 0.8g/lb bodyweight. And a quick guideline for fat is 0.3g/lb bodyweight.

Hope that helps!