How many hours to you sleep?

Options
Just wondering how long everyone goes to sleep for. How many hours/ what times?

Really struggling to fit everything into my day with work and studying and trying to go running/swimming as training for the Great North Run and Great North Swim.

So, considering trying to get up another hour earlier but not sure whether I will then have the energy for the day!

Replies

• jgrobmyer79
    Options
    Rest and sleep are just as important as working out, so don't skimp on sleep. At minimum, try to get 7 hours of good sleep. Anything less and your body is working at lower efficiency. Good luck.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I always need at least 8, but when I started running, I really needed more like 9 or 10 (for a while, until I adapted). When I don't get enough, I certainly feel it! Gotta let those muscles repair themselves.

I've given up on the idea of morning exercise. I know that's what works for a lot of people, but for me, afternoon/evening is just more doable. You need to fit it in where you will actually do it. Plus, I really like the feeling of that being the last thing I have to take care of for the day. A little jog or some yoga to wind down from work, and then my evening is all my own! Not to mention, I would crash right around the time my husband gets home from work if I got up any earlier. Do what you gotta.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    My sleep is a little weird because I have a "sleep break" some time around 2-4am depending on what time I go to bed. Last night I went to bed around 12:30am, got up around 2:30am and stepped out for a smoke and some water then played around on my iPad for a while and went back to bed around 3:30. I woke up just before 8 this morning so I guess that was about 6 1/2 hours last night.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My typical day:

Wake up at 7, work by 7:30-7:45 (once my alarm goes off, I'm AWAKE. Blessing and a curse).
    Work 7:30/7:45 - 5:10
    Gym 5:30 - 6:30
    Free time for dinner/shower/etc 6:30-10:30
    Sleep (including lay in bed time, for about 30 minutes) 10:30 - 7am (so about 9 hours of sleep)

I sleep a lot, I know.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    12:00-8:10 and a lot more on weekends, but since I started to be more active I'm also waking up earlier on weekends.
  • qwertymh
    qwertymh Posts: 38
    Options
    I do know I need sleep, I LOVE my sleep too :( just really struggling on time.

Schedule for the week is usually

6:00am get up
    6:45am leave for work
    6:30pm-7:00pm arrive home from work
    7:30pm eat
    7:50pm study
    9:30pm-10:30pm exercise
    11:00pm go to bed

So currently on about 7hours sleep, if I actually sleep all night and my routine doesn't differ...

There just aren't enough hours in the day!! I study just after I eat because I like to have as long as possible after I have eaten before exercising. I am one of those people that needs to have digested food first, otherwise feel too ill..
  • jgrobmyer79
    Options
    Only knowing this information, I would adjust your workouts to the mornings instead of evening. Exercising so close to bed time makes it harder to fall asleep as your body is still in high gear. Instead, go to bed about 9:30 or 10p and wake up at 5a and workout first thing. Or, workout once you got home at 7 then eat and study. Just my thoughts :)
  • jgrobmyer79
    Options
    You could supplement a workout shake or bar to help fuel your workouts in the evening which would help push your evening meal until after you workout.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Your body needs sleep for recovery. It's veryyyyyyyyyyyy important. (Can't stress the very enough)

I sleep when i'm tired but try to get into bed and settle down for the night around 10ish.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I sleep between 5.5 and 6 hours a night. It's not ideal, but that's the time I have.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I usually get 6 hours a night. Some nights, I'm lucky and get 7. Other nights, it's only 5. I do my best to get a full night's sleep, because I know it's important to my body to have adequate rest, but it's not always possible when you have a family, a home, a full time job, and other responsibilities.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I need a lot of sleep and struggled to fit in workouts as well. Surprisingly, waking up early to workout first has made me less tired. I wake up about 1 hour earlier, and go to bed 1/2 hour later, so I don't lose too much sleep.

My schedule:
    5:50 wakeup and workout
    7:15 to 6:45 work/travel
    9:30 bed makes me a happy camper, but 10-10:30 is more realistic.

I am less tired doing this than waking up at 645 and working out in the evenings, even if I go to bed at the same time.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I am an 8 hour a night girl, or I do not function best!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    6.5-8 (more on the weekends)

I usually aim for 7 hours minimum. Once in a while that doesn't happen...typical is 7-8 hrs.
  • MrsTorresisBACK
    MrsTorresisBACK Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sleep? What's that....i'm a mommy to a 4 year old who gets up EVERY night at least 2 times...

Oh....SLEEP....I remember now what that is!!!

4-6 on average (broken)

@Mariapulh 9 hours? SERIOSLY?? #IMJEALOUS!!!!!!!! Bless you!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    8 hours at least. I take it pretty seriously.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I get a solid 8 every night. Depriving your body of sleep is counter-productive.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    It really depends but I average about 4 hours a night no matter when I go to bed.

I do not and never have slept well.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Not enough.:yawn:
    I'm a night owl and work second shift but get up early to start my day (working out or volunteering at my daughter's school).
    On a good night I'll sleep from 12:00 am-6:00am.
    I would love to sleep from about 1:00 am- 9:00 am.
    Summer is the best :smile:
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sleep is something that is missing from my weightloss effort and I believe I am paying the price. I get up in the morning at 4:20am, leave the house at 5:40. Work from 7am to 3:30pm, home around 5-5:15. Workout 6-7pm, then shower (yes, I shower twice a day) and dinner. My husband gets home from work between 8-9pm, so I hang out with him for a bit and go to bed around 11:30. So, on a good night, where I fall asleep right away, 5 hours, realistically, probably around 4 on average.

The good thing for me is that I work from home one day a week and can sleep in a extra hour or two.