Women, self-esteem and self-perceptions

Options
Saw a clip about this on the Today show today and HAD to share. I'm a grad student and home from work today working on my research final regarding self-esteem and exercise. And this proves so much to me (like I didn't already know - we all likely KNOW this). I just had to share. Take a minute to past this into your browser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iswiKQbtwXQ

YOU ARE MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN YOU THINK!

Replies

• Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    great clip! really moving and powerful
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's great. I can't begin to imagine what he would sketch if I described myself!
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I saw this earlier today too! I loved seeing it, and I think it's amazing to think I would describe myself that different from what I really am... but honestly I probably still would...
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah I watched it too on my break and needless to say it was amazing how we as women actually view ourselves.. The Lord only knows how I would describe myself..
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Powerful! It's crazy how hard on ourselves we are.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump to watch later
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, my then-fiance (we eventually broke up) persuaded me to have a street vendor make a sketch of me. When I saw the sketch, I thought I looked better than me, and that maybe the artist kinda "air-brushed" me. But now, after seeing the clip, I wonder if he just drew what he saw. And he saw a beautiful woman.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    This was really moving - thank you so much for sharing it! My eyes are always drawn to my own flaws...this made me wonder how others would see me. It made me a little emotional to think about it.
  • aj7x
    aj7x Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love that video! It's really true for people in general, not just women. Men can also be really down on themselves as well. Here is a picture that I really like along the same lines:

bhll4bzccaeahtm.jpg
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That was really beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just read about this on Bust.
    I know I am so hard on myself, when I look in the mirror my eyes go directly to what is wrong (or what I think is hideous).
    This is such a great reminder to love ourselves more!

Here is the link to the article with stills of the sketches: http://www.bust.com/doves-real-beauty-sketches-might-bring-a-tear-to-your-eye.html
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.
  • wattssal000
    wattssal000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I LOVED that. Thank you so much for sharing it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This video couldn't be more correct.
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I thought this was so true how women view themselves. This definitely hit close to home for me. Thanks for sharing.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Made me cry. I was having a terrible self esteem day and this was something that helped.
  • lagardenista
    Options
    Have to give Dove kudos! Awesome, awesome video. It was just striking how the self-perception images were so harsh! I felt lighter and better after watching it because all the things I think are wrong are more than likely just in my head. So, the next time someone compliments me, all it requires is a "Thank you" followed by a smile - not a qualifier or some self-deprecating comment.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    bump

can't wait to watch, thanks for posting!
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Very moving and it really makes you think. *wipes away the tears*

Really close to home for me... my self-esteem & self-image have always been low. This makes me think that I really should listen to the way others describe me and take it to heart.