large portabello mushroom caps

Options
adfabus
adfabus Posts: 178 Member
Quick! I need ideas for what to bake in large portabello mushroom caps!!!

Replies

• 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    That sounds painful.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I make "pizza" out of them sometimes- sauce, cheese, sausage (if you like it). Also chopped tomatoes with mint and feta is delicious.
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump so I can follow. I love eating these in restaurants but have no clue how to bake them.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Eggplant mixed with tomatoes and onions, sprinkled with some goat cheese. Add ground meat to the mix if you want.
  • briski_2005
    Options
    ummm pizza! thats our favorite! clean them out, take the gills out, a little bit of sauce (home made is better), some mozzerella cheese and whatever toppings you prefer! bake at 400 for about 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown! delish! :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Marinate and grill!
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love them on the grill! I just throw them down and then baste them with a little teriyaki sauce. They are awesome!

I did some baby bellas this weekend, just put them on a skewer, then sprayed some olive oil on them, added some garlic powder, salt and pepper and just threw them on the grill. they were awesome! Just rotate or flip as needed.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Marinate and grill!

^^ This!! Plain and simple and oh so good!!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    After I cook black beans I add them to the food processor to make a paste. Lay that in the cap and then top with onions and bell peppers.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Turkey flavored like italian sausage, mushrooms (yes, more mushrooms. I love them), black olives, turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce, 1 egg white, shredded mozzarella cheese.

spread pizza sauce in the mushroom cap
    mix the cooked turkey, mushrooms, black olives, turkey pepperoni, egg white and cheese together. This does not need to be able to be shaped into a ball. The egg white and cheese only helps to hold it together. I stuff them until they are heaping with the mixture (at least double in size)

Spray a glass pan with olive oil and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until the mushrooms have finished cooking to desired texture.
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use them like burger buns instead of bread - drizzle with the tiniest bit of olive oil and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Marinate and grill!

^^ This!! Plain and simple and oh so good!!

Skipped the marinate and added cheese last night for dinner. Delicious!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Kale and goat cheese, topped with bread crumbs for crunch
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Use them in replacement of bread for sandwich or burger, ......cover with some olive oil and some cheese on top and bake in over...., or make pizzas out of them! I make mine with ground beef and sauce and cheese, yummy!
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Marinate and grill!

We marinate in italian dressing and grill. We eat them on a bun w/condiments like a burger. The portabella pizzas are delicious too.
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sounds Yummy...Thanks!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    love the pizza idea. You can also make like ground meat and veggies and fill it up.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I use them like burger buns instead of bread - drizzle with the tiniest bit of olive oil and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.

This struck me as funny because I always heard the opposite: use them in place of burger meat between two buns. But hey, your way is definitely interesting.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I will try this for dinner tomorrow. Thank you so much! Except I'll use chicken
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Fast and delicious company dish;

Brush the portobello caps with olive oil and roast in oven for 15 min. at 350 degrees. Meanwhile, pound two chicken breasts until uniform thickness, sautee on both sides in a little butter, slice cooked chicken and mushroom caps, keep warm while stirring and heating a quarter cup or less of cream until it thickens, stir in the chicken and mushrooms, add a little coarse ground black pepper. You must use cream as half and half or milk will not thicken the sauce. Per serving it's not too caloric and the dish tastes wonderful.