large portabello mushroom caps

Options

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I stuff them with spinach, goat cheese and feta with a little lemon juice and breadcrumbs or oatmeal mixed in to make it stick, and then bake them. SO good.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I pour a small amount of thousand island dressing in them and microwave a few minutes. Freaking yum.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I make "pizza" out of them sometimes- sauce, cheese, sausage (if you like it). Also chopped tomatoes with mint and feta is delicious.

Oh, I must do this!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    love the pizza idea. You can also make like ground meat and veggies and fill it up.

yep thats pretty much what i did, just add some marinera sauce or even salsa...so yummy!!
  • deborah0730
    Options
    You don't have to cook anything in them ..... a little olive oil and a dot of butter. They will try out just like a burger! I use them often in place of ground beef in some things. Yum!
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks for the ideas. I am adding these to my menu for the week! :)
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    take stalks out...buy some sunblushed toms and mix with a bit of olive oil with crushed garlic....crumble a bit of blue cheese over and top with fresh breadcrumbs....bake in oven for about 10 mins in a tin foil parcel...I love them! just serve with salad drizzled with balsamic dressing....yum yum....or with fillet steak.....
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I grill my and use it in place of a burger. Put it in a thinwich bun add some veggies and olive oil and enjoy.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate them in red wine balsamic vinegar then grill/fry them.
  • RobynCarson
    Options
    Fetta and spinach is always great!
    I also like to cook it in a skillet lightly rubbed with light olive oil and use that as the meat in a sandwich with spinach instead of lettuce. Yumm!
  • LareishaH
    LareishaH Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Amounts vary depending on how many caps and how big, but I like to do the following:

Light/fat free cream cheese
    Light/fat free shredded mozzarella
    chopped green onions
    Light/fat free garlic croutons

Crush the croutons in a bowl, then add cream cheese, mozzarella, and green onions. Mix to your liking. Cover the cap with mixture, you may want to cut out the stem if it's too long.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 mins or until cheese is golden brown.
  • HollyWalle
    HollyWalle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    so many delicious ideas, i don't know which one to try first!!! I usually make stuffed green peppers!
  • adfabus
    adfabus Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow...that sound amazing!!!!!! Thanks for the post!
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    grill or broil with grape tomatoes, and beets. Chop thow on top of mixed greens ( still hot) add some feta cheese and balsamic vinegarette yum,yum,yum
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    great ideas, yum!
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use black beans, black eyed peas, chick peas, mashed sweet potatoes, all mixed with delicious spicy spices and soooo good. There are so many choices! We do a lot of avocado in ours too. Schmeckt aber gut! I recommend. :)
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take some stuffing mix, cream or goat cheese, italian seasons, mozzarella and garlic...sprinkle with parmesan and bake.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Kale and goat cheese, topped with bread crumbs for crunch

This, with evoo and garlic. Or spinach & feta. Yum
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    my favorite is a spinach artichoke dip.
    you can stuff i believe 6 large mushroom caps with this recipe, it's from allrecipes.com but i modified it to make it a little healthier

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (or 1/4 cup mayo as original recipe states)
    8 tbsp grated romano/asiago/parmesan cheese (the pre grated in the canister works fine)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    1 package fat free cream cheese (or regular if you dont care about the calories)
    shredded mozzarella to top the mushrooms

gut the mushroom caps, spray a baking pan with a ledge so the water from the mushrooms baking doesn't drip
    preheat oven to 350. combine all ingredients except shredded mozzarella in a bowl. stuff mushrooms, top with shredded cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes.

i believe a mushroom cap is around 20 calories each, here are the macros for 6 servings of the spinach artichoke stuffing.
    per serving:
    144 cals, 4 iron, 387 sodium, 75 potassium, 1 fiber, 9 protein

i made these large ones for christmas, and then small ones for a party. no one knew there was greek yogurt in them, and everyone ate that *kitten* up!

here are the small ones i made:
    mail_zps7490af88.jpg

mushroom burgers are good too.
    clean and gut the mushrooms, i just sprinkle onion powder garlic powder and oregano on them. you can also marinate them in a balsamic vinegar if you'd like.
    i cook them on the george forman until they get shriveled and juicy. delish with provolone cheese and any other burger toppings you like

also a good stuffing for them, is regular bread stuffing. i like to add sauted onions to it, and fresh spices and the stuffing mix and bake those bad boys.

as others have said, a pizza one is good too with sauce, cheese and other toppings you like