losing weight during vacations? (Disneyworld) need some tips

Options
Im going to disneyworld, universal, seaworld,etc. Is there anyway possible to stick with your diet and actually lose weight. Im also planning to go to my hotel's gym before the parks.

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Between the heat and all the walking you should be fine. I've been twice and have actually lost a little weight despite eating some of the yummy treats that they have to offer. Have fun!
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm getting really scared about my vacation too.

I think what I am going to do is to let myself enjoy it - don't wanna deprive my family members of my health conscientiousness and not allow anyone to enjoy some vacation time, right?

So eat everything in moderation.
    Save treats for later, eat it while you're walking, make sure you're always on the move and that you're exercising.

The heat should also help some.

Good luck to you and have fun!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Disney parks allow you to bring in outside food and drink so you can always bring a sack lunch if you're concerned about park food. I've had decent luck with their salads just having them leave heavier things off and the low fat italian is a good dressing choice.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 2lb (one week) when I visited Orlando. I wasn't watching what I ate and you guys have much bigger portions over there and some absolutely gorgeous food but I think all the walking cancels it out so you should be fine :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Between the heat and all the walking you should be fine. I've been twice and have actually lost a little weight despite eating some of the yummy treats that they have to offer. Have fun!

Seriously. You walk about 50 billion miles a day at those places. It does a lot to counteract any additional calories you eat.

I also prefer the sit down style restaurants to the fast food style (better food & more choices, a/c and you can rest your feet!).
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    I don't know who said this, but before you eat think, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." The other thing I do is weird, but it works for me :laugh: When I want something, I start thinking like I already had it and want more. For example, when I want a cookie, I ask myself, "Well, how would you handle this craving if you already had the cookie, but it was so good that you just can't say no to another and another? At some point you have to say no. What's the difference between saying no now and having to say it later? That usually get me through a couple hours :ohwell:
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have the same concern. We are going to Disney in less than 3 weeks. I have done pretty well with my weightloss so far, I don't want to derail myself in one week. When are you going? Maybe if you are going before we are you can let us know how you did and what/where you ate.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have the same dilemma. In a few weeks my family is going to Las Vegas. We all are HUGE buffet fans, so I am looking at eating at least 2 buffets a day for a whole week. My plan is to walk, walk, walk and choose the stairs instead of each escalator, along with making right choices during my meals. However, we all know the saying about the best laid plans...:ohwell:
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    You are going to be walking so much that unless you completely throw your healthy eating lifestyle out the window you will be fine. I went and was eating ice cream, French fries, dole whip and Mickey bars all day and didn't gain an ounce. If you go and actually attempt to make healthy choice you will probably lose weight. Like a previous poster said it approximately a bazillions miles from one end of a park to the other and no one just walks from one end of the park to another. You zig zag back and forth the park with your touring plan hitting all the headliners in the morning and filling in with the rides you missed in the afternoon.

This article might be interesting to you
    http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/02/04/eating-healthy-in-walt-disney-world/
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I tend to overplan a little but...here is a website I used http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningmain.cfm

We are going in a couple of months and we always plan a couple of big meals and then stick to counter service for the rest. I worked out a list of places in each park that had healthy choices. I plan to have that and when we decide to stop and eat I can look for a healthy choice that is nearby. I'm not going to go overboard because I know I will burn enough calories with all the walking but I like knowing there are healty options around me if I choose.

Sample for Magic Kingdom

Be Our Guest
    -Quinoa Salad
    -Vegetable Quiche

Cosmic Rays
    -Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Cucumber Salad
    -Veggie Burger
    -Turkey Sandwich w/apple slices

Liberty Square Market
    -whole fruit

Pecos Bill
    -Veggie Burger
    -Caesar Salad
    -Chicken wrap w/apple slices
    -Taco Salad

Pinocchio Village Haus
    -Caesar Salad
    -BBQ chicken flatbread
    -Mediterranean Salad

Tortuga Tavern
    -Taco Salad
    -Vegetarian Burrito

Again, I tend to overplan and all of those options may not be low cal or completely healthy, but better than pizza and burgers everyday. We will have 7 days in the park and way too much time to eat. Enjoy your vacation!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I ordered a kids meal (for me) and got a smaller portion turkey sandwich with grapes and carrots.
    I also got a smoothie.
    To save some money, we would pack a lunch in our cooler.
    We rented a locker and kept our lunch in there until we were ready to eat and jackets for the evening.
    I carried around a backpack with a water bottle to refill and protein bars.
    That way, when we got hungry later in the afternoon we could have a snack and hold off eating until supper.
    Then we weren't tempted to spend the money on a higher calorie snack.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a cruise in a couple of weeks :glasses: I intend to indulge a bit, but stay MINDFUL of what I eat and savor it slowly. I also signed up for a 5K Mud Run 2 weeks after I return so I'll keep that in the back of my mind during the trip and move it immediately to the fore when I set foot back on dry land.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost weight going on a cruise. I found the amount of food available and the size portions others ate made me feel ill. Some people seem to eat like its their last breakfast, snack, lunch, another snack etc. I chose things I hadn't tried before or something that looked good, so really focused on the mindful eating part.

We also went to the gym every day for about an hour and did the stairs all the time. 10 flights of stairs to every meal will keep you honest.

In a theme park bringing protein bars would be good, but I think the real thing to watch is drinks and how many ice creams, popcorn, snacks you eat rather than the meals. Chewing gum would be a good thing to take as well.
  • dnk1019
    dnk1019 Posts: 1
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Carry a bottle around like its your safety net. Eat salads and veggies first and hopefully this will fill you up. Walk everywhere. Play with the kids. Dance. Have fun.
  • creativecarabao
    Options
    you're on vacation, eat what you feel like getting...just be sure not to finish it. Eat half of what you order. stop. wait 15 minutes and see if you want it. if you don't feed that crave you'll get it anyways later on. so go get it.
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I went to Disneyworld I actually lost weight.

So much walking! I didn't go overboard on the food -- had egg-white omelettes for breakfast usually;, had turkey legs (the biggest and best I've ever had); some pizza -- just tried to enjoy myself without gorging myself.

Like I've said - it's a lifestyle - not a diet. How many times do you go on vacation? Enjoy!
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My advice, screw the gym before the parks !!!!.. You will be too tired to get up extra early for that and you are on vacation. Sleep in and recover from the heat and walking all day in those parks. I NEVER gained weight while at Disney and we did the meal plan where we were stuffing our faces, eating waaay more than we normally do. The walking balances things out.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a business trip and was pleasantly surprised to find that I lost almost 3 pounds while I was there. And I ate all the food and drank all the tequila.

What I did:

1. I couldn't avoid eating at the airport, so I always chose the salad with lean protein and light dressing. I wanted to save my indulgences for stuff that was worth it.

2. Stay off those damn moving sidewalk things. Walk.

3. Go to a grocery store, get some snacks, and carry them with you so you are not tempted with resort food. I kept some cashews and apples in my bag, again so that when I went to dinner I didn't feel bad about having the wine and the appetizer and the main.

4. Walk everywhere that you can.

5. Drink lots of water. Drink just water.

6. Relax. Do your best.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I suggest you eat a healthy filling breakfast and take some low calories snacks with you like granola bars etc and then at dinner time have chicken or whatever meat you prefer without the bread.

Or have lunch at the park but skip on the bread and fries and drink lots of water