Would you count this as exercise?

Options
I'm going to a festival this weekend and I will be walking around for roughly 7-8 hours. It won't be fast walking, just casual to see all the little booths and entertainment areas. This isn't something I normally do since I work a desk job.

Would you count this towards your exercise for the day (fully or partially) or just enjoy the extra burn?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a bonus and not log it.
  • tmanda06
    tmanda06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would still count it as excercise, 7-8 hours is a long time to be walking around, especially since it's not something you usually do daily. But either way, logging it or not, it's still beneficial. :)
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'd go the bonus route too or log really conservatively. I used to log things like that, but then I noticed my weight creeping up again. I stopped doing that and my weight dropped. I think I was just over logging.

Make sure you drink lots of water and enjoy yourself! XD
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

This
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask then no.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    walking for an extended amount of time is exercise. if it wasnt, there wouldnt be competitions for it. log it
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you lose weight from it great but its not technically an exercise. Not to mention there will probably be some high cal food there so it will all balance out.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

This is how I would do it.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Thanks guys :happy:

I'm not super concerned with my weight, I'm just more of trying to be aware of my activity levels and exactly what and how much I'm eating.

I may just let this one be a bonus and make a note in my exercise journal of what I did.

I'm not really familiar with the phone app. Do any of you happen to know if you can make notes from there? It will be my only access to MFP for the weekend and I haven't gotten it downloaded yet.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Sounds like over 1000 calories to me! I'd log it for sure.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i am just going to say no ....
  • bdburch
    Options
    Sounds like over 1000 calories to me! I'd log it for sure.

Maybe one or two extra drinks then! :drinker:
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    You could equate it to one of the MFP exercise activities. For example: Hunting, general or mild stretching or shuffleboard. Or count just a portion (half?) of the time as walking at 2.0 mph. Just don't use it to justify too many deep fried Snickers bars or Krispy Kreme cheeseburgers (actual fair food I've consumed before!).
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I logged it when I went to the Ren Fair and walked around for at least 6 hours straight. I logged 4 at 2 mph because we really were walking around a majority of the time. Now while I did log it I didn't eat back all the calories, I just didn't feel abd about splurging on the mint chocolate chip ice cream ;)
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would wear a HRM or a pedometer if you have one. See what the calories burned/steps are. If you bring your own nutritious food, that is a plus. In the end I still probably wouldn't log it, just count it as a bonus as the pp said.
  • bdburch
    Options
    You could equate it to one of the MFP exercise activities. For example: Hunting, general or mild stretching or shuffleboard. Or count just a portion (half?) of the time as walking at 2.0 mph. Just don't use it to justify too many deep fried Snickers bars or Krispy Kreme cheeseburgers (actual fair food I've consumed before!).

I've seen those at fairs. Even when I wasn't counting calories, I couldn't stomach them so no worries here. The thing that will get me is the funnel cakes! But I will be within walking distance of some family member's homes and they are planning to put some food out. Likely it will be hamburgers and chips but it will definitely be healthier than a krispy kreme hamburger :tongue:
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I do this on days when I'm genuinely tired afterwards. I would log it as leisurely 2mph and only put in half the time, maybe 4 hours. If it's not something you normally do, log it. You will be burning a lot more calories than if you were doing nothing.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you're heart rate isn't elevated, it isn't exercise!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log that.