Would you count this as exercise?

Options

Replies

• Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'd either count it for an hour or two, or bump up my activity level for the day. It counts for something, but definitely not the same as walking for the whole time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IMO it is really just a daily activity and not "exercise" Example - you walk around the fair all day - great - you then go home and lay around on the couch for four hours because you are beat...the non activity then pretty much events out the walking that you did...if you worked out and then went and walked around the fair that would be interesting, but I would still say log the work out and not walking the fair....
  • KenW72
    KenW72 Posts: 3
    Options
    Are you typically eating back calories burned due to exercise? If so, you may eat too much due to over estimating how much you burned during your "walk".

Unless you're wearing a pedometer to accurately track your actual mileage you would mostly likely end up overestimating how much you really moved. Being at a festival for 7-8 hours does not automatically equate to walking for that amount of time, as it would for hiking 7-8 hours.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    depends on my activity setting. If I used a sedentary or very lightly activity setting I'd log half of it. I'm sure I get 4 hours walking to and fro on a regular day anyway. But if I was using a more moderate activity level setting I'd not.
    (right now I am using a moderate activity level and not recording any exercise)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you use a pedometer then you can see how many more steps you take that day and add the difference to your exercise log. For instance if you normally walk 8000 steps in a day and on that day you walk 18000 steps, then you have exercised an extra 10,000 steps that day. Each 2000 steps is roughly a mile, so I would log this as walking 3 miles per hour for 100 minutes (5 miles x 20 minutes per mile).

Otherwise, I don't know how you could realistically log it.

I use a pedometer. It motivates me to go for a walk at the end of the day on inactive days.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise...BUT...I would also give yourself a relaxed food day where you don't worry too much about calories.

Doesn't mean go crazy! But maybe just don't count cals and go with the flow.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nope. I would not count that.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :happy:

I'm not super concerned with my weight, I'm just more of trying to be aware of my activity levels and exactly what and how much I'm eating.

I may just let this one be a bonus and make a note in my exercise journal of what I did.

I'm not really familiar with the phone app. Do any of you happen to know if you can make notes from there? It will be my only access to MFP for the weekend and I haven't gotten it downloaded yet.

You can write exercise and diary notes on the phone app
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Are you typically eating back calories burned due to exercise? If so, you may eat too much due to over estimating how much you burned during your "walk".

Unless you're wearing a pedometer to accurately track your actual mileage you would mostly likely end up overestimating how much you really moved. Being at a festival for 7-8 hours does not automatically equate to walking for that amount of time, as it would for hiking 7-8 hours.

Sometimes I eat them back. I'm sure that over all (through many days), I eat all of my calories back as I'm over some and under others.

I have my activity level set to sendetary because I sit at a desk for 8-10 hours a day. Most days I'm able to go to the gym at work but lately I've had a knee injury and more work than usual so no gym time this week :(

You are also right about the walking part; it is likely I won't be walking for 7 hours because I will have to stop to eat and watch the shows.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I'm not super concerned with my weight, I'm just more of trying to be aware of my activity levels and exactly what and how much I'm eating.

I may just let this one be a bonus and make a note in my exercise journal of what I did.

I'm not really familiar with the phone app. Do any of you happen to know if you can make notes from there? It will be my only access to MFP for the weekend and I haven't gotten it downloaded yet.

I use the phone ap all the time. You can make notes, you can add things, you can track your macros. (Honestly I love the pie chart there better than the website's chart).

The only thing I've ever had a problem with is that I can't figure out how to quick add calories on the phone. Also, you can't edit recipes on the phone. Everything else works perfectly.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I don't know about the app (I don't really like apps) but I Google Myfitnesspal.com from my phone. It just takes me right to the website. Works great! I never use my computer, always just use the phone. And yes I can add notes. If you are trying to track your fitness I would track this! Just be realistic about how much it really is. Have a great time! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You can write exercise and diary notes on the phone app

since I am on a higher activity level and not counting calories burned, I record activity in my note section of change the listing to "1 calorie burned" (tit won't accept a zero)
  • bdburch
    Options
    I don't know about the app (I don't really like apps) but I Google Myfitnesspal.com from my phone. It just takes me right to the website. Works great! I never use my computer, always just use the phone. And yes I can add notes. If you are trying to track your fitness I would track this! Just be realistic about how much it really is. Have a great time! Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! I didn't think about just logging on through the phone's browser. Usually websites for computers aren't very phone friendly.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    As you can see, everybody manages their plans differently. I count everything. I would never manage to lose/maintain my weight if I didn't. I have a total desk job, and my baseline activity set really low. MFP has a number of calculations for walking, and I'd pick one. I would also be trying to count everything I eat (sometimes that helps me eat less because I have no idea how to count it!) You just have to be honest with yourself. Have fun!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you're heart rate isn't elevated, it isn't exercise!

^^This is how I feel about this
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you use a pedometer then you can see how many more steps you take that day and add the difference to your exercise log. For instance if you normally walk 8000 steps in a day and on that day you walk 18000 steps, then you have exercised an extra 10,000 steps that day. Each 2000 steps is roughly a mile, so I would log this as walking 3 miles per hour for 100 minutes (5 miles x 20 minutes per mile).

Otherwise, I don't know how you could realistically log it.

I use a pedometer. It motivates me to go for a walk at the end of the day on inactive days.
    In my honest opinion and with all respect,If you ever want to achieve,stop wasting time on such a b******t as logging walking,cleaning the house,taking a shower,poo-ing,wee-ing and god knows what else as exercise..and start to exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I use the phone ap all the time. You can make notes, you can add things, you can track your macros. (Honestly I love the pie chart there better than the website's chart).

The only thing I've ever had a problem with is that I can't figure out how to quick add calories on the phone. Also, you can't edit recipes on the phone. Everything else works perfectly.

To quick add calories go to Diary> add food > meal #. This should give you a list of recently added foods or whatever depending on how yours is set up. If you scroll all the way down there is a blue highlight option at the bottom for quick add calories.
  • bdburch
    Options
    If you're heart rate isn't elevated, it isn't exercise!

^^This is how I feel about this

The only problem I see about this method is that I should count the plane ride there (my heart beats really really fast on take off and landing) and I would count the excitement I would feel at seeing each new family member (they will be filtering into the house I'm staying at 1 or 2 at a time for hours). Since I have started exercising regularly my resting HR has slowed down significantly and I can feel every pound when it gets slightly elevated (this is still a new feeling to me :smile: )
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What I personally would do is, I would wear my heart monitor. My heart rate monitor (Polar ft7) separates fit and fat--iI would take note at the end of the time how much of the time was fit and log that. If no heart rate monitor, I mighte record maybe (lean hour of walking 2.0 (leisurely walk) because inevitably you will stop several times and probably sit down for a meal or two. If you do record it, make sure you walk around at a pretty good clip a good share of the time. Make it a workout.
  • bdburch
    Options
    In my honest opinion and with all respect,If you ever want to achieve,stop wasting time on such a b******t as logging walking,cleaning the house,taking a shower,poo-ing,wee-ing and god knows what else as exercise..and start to exercise.

Thanks for your input. I totally agree with you about the cleaning, short walks, and taking a shower thing. I usually only log what I do in the gym. I just wanted to see what others opinions were on this as it is an unusual day for me and I won't have access to a gym this weekend.

I also wouldn't consider doing "at home" workouts at the location I'm going to as the floor is really dirty and I don't believe that even laying a towel down will help that situation.