Ladies! We can be honest! Weak Pelvic Floor?

Options
Adah_m
Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
Hello ladies,
Let's be honest and throw around ideas. I'm going CRAZY because when I'm doing jumping jacks during the 30 day shred, when I'm dancing in hip hop class, doing zumba, trying to jog... you name it... I'm running into the same problem. Because I was so overweight before, the pelvic floor muscles are really weak, and when I'm bouncing around like that, no amount of trying to empty the bladder before working out keeps me from having a little problem. It's embarrassing and it keeps me from being able to go all out and get deep into the exercises because I want to avoid it.
I'm doing pelvic floor exercises to strengthen the muscles, and i have to admit, working out in general seems to help. I have the problem a lot less often than before. When I was at my heaviest, coughing or laughing would produce the same effect. Now it's just jumping around.
Thoughts? Advice? Does this happen to others or just to me? How can I speed up the process of strengthening the muscles? Has this happenned to anyone else who has NOT had kids? I feel like if this is happening to me I should have a beautiful baby to show for it.

Replies

• CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    wish I could be of help. I'm hoping others will jump in :)
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I had it after both my kids were born and it's never really gone away :( I know kegels help, but let's face it, who has time for that? Or at least who can remember? Lol anyway I wish I had a cure. I think the majority of women have this problem at least sometimes. Let's see who admits it!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I too have this problem, but I do have three kids. Kegels do help, but haven't taken the problem away entirely. I try to exercise in the morning when I've just got out of bed. I haven't drank any water all night and it tends to help. Also, sometimes I just have to wear a pad. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
  • seths_wife
    seths_wife Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. But I also had 3 kids in 4 years so I expected this might be an issue lol. It does seem to be getting better with exercise though. Sorry, not much help!
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my kegels more faithfully and it has pretty much gotten rid of the problem.... first thing was I did them whenever I went #1 so I could make sure I was doing them right... then I did fifteen "reps" of a ten second kegel before I went to bed... hope this helped!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am in physical therapy for pelvic floor problems. I have been instructed NOT to do jumping jacks. In my tae kwon do classes, I substitute other cardio when the rest of the class does them. I strongly recommend you ask your doctor for a referral for a physical therapy evaluation if you think your pelvic floor is weak. There are therapists who specialize in this problem, and the physical therapy may help you avoid surgery. I wish I had known such a thing was possible before I had my surgeries.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    also they sell weights for kegels at novelty stores
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Get some kegel weights... they are affordable... like 30$ on Amazon.... And they work great :D
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it. I have a problem. It has gotten a little better since I've started weight training, but it still bothers me with jumping and running. I actually went to a doctor about it. She said I could 1.)Do exercises and see if that helps. 2.) Do some sort of biofeedback therapy. or 3.)Have surgery. She could not guarantee any of the options. She did say that running and jumping would not make it worse. I have opted to do kegels for now(but I'm really bad at remembering them). I checked into the therapy and it was a little pricey for me at this time.
  • junebfolk
    Options
    I also have this problem and it has gotten worse, it wasn't my pelvic floor it is my uretha, it has become weakened and not supported correctly. I am having a sling procedure done next week to help reinforce this. The medical term is stress incontenience. I am so looking forward to "staying dry", laughing, coughing and even standing up causes "leaking".

You may want to research this or talk with your GYN. Have a great day!
  • HardyMichelle
    HardyMichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I work in a urology clinic. Try kegels! Those should help. If not try to see a urologist...they have something called pelvic floor rehab that can help you strengthen those muscles!
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck with this too :sad: ! I was afraid I had a diastisis (separation of the abdominal muscles), but my doctor told my I don't, although the muscles around there do feel very weak. But anytime I go out and try to run, I have to wear a pad and make sure I use the bathroom beforehand, otherwise I get soaked.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have done for my p.o.p. is to lose weight. That alone has made a tremendous difference. Also squats. Anything to strengthen your glutes will help pull everything back into place.
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Kegels. They help. I haven't had kids either....not sure where mine comes from and it's not consistent....sometimes it happens, others it doesn't.

As far as remembering to do them/time to do them, I tend to do them in the car when I'm driving...
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've had two kids and am turning 50 this year, so jumping jacks are always iffy for me. :ohwell: I can do without jumping jacks, but I was having occasional issues with other higher impact stuff, so I asked my doctor what to do.

She told me that even better than Kegels is to do this: When you're urinating, stop the flow completely a couple of times. That targets the exact muscles that you need to strengthen, and you know you're doing it right. You don't need to do it more than once a day, and it doesn't take any extra time or effort, really -- you're going to have to pee anyhow, right?

It's helped me. :happy:

Keep up the good work -- you're doing great!
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Two and a half c-sections later will do that to a person..that would be me..The half c section was not to have a baby but remove endometriosis of the c-section..lovely...ANYWAY..within 8 mins on treadmill I have to use restroom then I am ok. For me since jogging on treadmill it has gotten much better. Less when coughing and sneezing. I tend to hold it down there when I jog maybe it is helping to make it stronger. I know you didn't want to hear from us with kids..but I think you will find a lot of mommies suffer from it. :(
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    THERE IS PHYSICAL THERAPY FOR THAT!!! I went through it for this same reason (jumping jacks)... well it was getting worse and not better and my PT and I realized something more was going on.... after 16mos of having it - my body was rejecting my IUD! Got it out and with my PT - no further problems. Well... then I had another child and hadn't had problems - until recent pneumonia when I would have coughing fits constantly... Now going to go back to PT since it was so successful the first time.

OOHH!!!!! FYI - Something she taught me last time - if you need to FIND your kegel muscles - you can sit on the toilet and STOP your flow of urine. But DON"T make that your practice! That's just a test to find them. If you do that a lot - it confuses the muscles and your brain about when they can/should release urine (all the sensations tell them it's OK since your on the toilet... but you are forcing them to stop all the time... will create other issues for you).

And not all PTs do this. Mine was specially trained and the referral was from my general practitioner. My PT would travel like 2 hours from where our city is (the capital of my state in the US) just to see people because this was a specialty therapy and many PTs aren't trained.

So ask around. (OH... and she suggested those weighted balls but man... I couldn't bring myself to that...and didn't end up needing them).
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I am actually glad you post this because I am having the same issues my self. I know how you feel. :) It has gotten worse after I had my first son. I made appointment in the urology department. I had a procedure done yesterday for him to look at my bladder. He didn't see anything wrong but I just have an over working bladder and he put me on meds to help. I have to see him in 3 months from now. But yeah I would have a hard time leaving the house to go anywhere. Traveling was a pain in the butt as well because of this issue. I would have to use the restroom pretty much 24/7 and use the restroom before leaving the house. What I notice that helped was when I go to my gym to work out I use the pool and I notice that helps on my bladder. The only time I would drink water was if I wasn't going anywhere. I have done those pelvic exercise and they don't help. I am also wearing pads all the time because I do leak from walking, running, jumping or any kind of movement. It really suxs but I just got these meds today and I haven't started yet but hopefully they will help me. :) Best luck to you.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ***** FYI - Something she [my physical therapist] taught me last time - if you need to FIND your kegel muscles - you can sit on the toilet and STOP your flow of urine. But DON"T make that your practice! That's just a test to find them. If you do that a lot - it confuses the muscles and your brain about when they can/should release urine (all the sensations tell them it's OK since your on the toilet... but you are forcing them to stop all the time... will create other issues for you). *******

I just want to draw attention to this info as I see the opposite being commented on in other's posts. Good luck.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it happens as you age as well. I did have a child when I was very young, but did not have this problem until I hit my 40's. It's not horrible, but yes a hard sneeze, a coughing fit or a good old fashioned sit-up would cause problems for me. Losing weight and exercising has helped. Do your Kegels and in the mean time, wear a panty liner when exercising.