Ladies! We can be honest! Weak Pelvic Floor?

Options

Replies

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    try kegel balls? (:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It isn't always muscular -- the bladder neck often gets stretcheed as a result of pregnancy/childbirth, and NO amount of kegels can overcome this. I could not run, jump, sneeze, or cough without leakage after my first child (9lb, 5oz, 99%ile for head size).

For those who are done having babies, a bladder neck suspension may be in order -- outpatient surgery, immediately effective, but you cannot lift anything over 10lb for several weeks (could be six, I don't remember) while everything heals. I had mine done 6ish years ago and highly recommend it.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hum, nope, I used to weigh 300 pounds and don't have this problem...
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    being overweight can cause problems with water works regardless of pelvic floor strength
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Mine has been mainly from having kids too... and I concur with an earlier post... I do the kegels while I am driving, or during breaks between sets of sit ups, or right at bedtime... I still have the issue only when I am coughing or sneezing really hard... All of the advice on here seems good to me, and in the meantime, I guess a pad is a safe option...
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I say empty your bladder as much as you can and just wear a pad this way it soaks up anything that my spill out and if your bladder is empty to begin with it wont be very much enough that a pad will cover it
  • apcartwright
    apcartwright Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and have had 3 children, I do not do jumping jacks or any high impact, my doctor said surgery does not often work, kegels have not done the trick, if I slip and fall, it will end up being an embarrassment, I wear pads all the time, and am thinking about something stronger for more high impact, I am losing weight and hopefully this will help, I have had this problem for at least 10 years and it is nice to see ladies talking about it openly. I go to the bathroom constantly and even more now because of trying to keep up my water intake for health.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Having read this thread I'm suddenly glad I had to have 3 C-Sections with my kids!
    x
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    my youngest was just shy of 11 pounds. natural labour.
    i've been incredibly lucky to have no issues.

however...

$(KGrHqV,!p0E63ZpJJJ3BPDch6mJZw~~60_35.JPG

i love my vaj zapper! ok so i love it because i'm a pervert (mine is always set to ultra high, super zap mode), but it does fantastic job of keeping me toned.

i can fall asleep with it in and it tones while i snore.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, zappy!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it happens as you age as well. I did have a child when I was very young, but did not have this problem until I hit my 40's. It's not horrible, but yes a hard sneeze, a coughing fit or a good old fashioned sit-up would cause problems for me. Losing weight and exercising has helped. Do your Kegels and in the mean time, wear a panty liner when exercising.

Finally, someone said the obvious.

As you get old...and for other reasons related to pregnancy and weight, women get 'stress incontinence'. That means that we find it impossible to avoid 'peeing in our panties', if we sneeze, cough, laugh or even bend over. It doesn't get better with age; it gets a lot worse.

I thought that I would never have to buy a women's sanitary pad again, when I had a complete hysterectomy in my mid-30's. Now, I am 68 and wearing a pad EVERY DAY. It helps to stop small accidental episodes. I am not ready to go for the adult diapers quite yet. :laugh:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    it's not inevitable. i know women in their high 90's that don't need a pad.
    ...and women in their 60's who do.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    my youngest was just shy of 11 pounds. natural labour.
    i've been incredibly lucky to have no issues.

however...

$(KGrHqV,!p0E63ZpJJJ3BPDch6mJZw~~60_35.JPG

i love my vaj zapper! ok so i love it because i'm a pervert (mine is always set to ultra high, super zap mode), but it does fantastic job of keeping me toned.

i can fall asleep with it in and it tones while i snore.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, zappy!

Wow. Interesting. :smile:
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Pilates will tighten things right up. Breathing and kegals work together with resistance. Try a class with a knowledgable instructor and a studio with reformers. Awesome workout for your body and sexual health.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    KETTLEBELL SWINGS. Seriously. Those things tightened my pelvic area right up after vaginally delivering a 10 pounder!!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Get some kegel weights... they are affordable... like 30$ on Amazon.... And they work great :D

I second this ^^^^
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    I used to have this problem, but since I lost weight and started swimming it has gone away entirely. Not sure if it's the weight or the swimming, or maybe a combination of both, but I no longer have the problem at all.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    Let's be honest and throw around ideas. I'm going CRAZY because when I'm doing jumping jacks during the 30 day shred, when I'm dancing in hip hop class, doing zumba, trying to jog... you name it... I'm running into the same problem. Because I was so overweight before, the pelvic floor muscles are really weak, and when I'm bouncing around like that, no amount of trying to empty the bladder before working out keeps me from having a little problem. It's embarrassing and it keeps me from being able to go all out and get deep into the exercises because I want to avoid it.
    I'm doing pelvic floor exercises to strengthen the muscles, and i have to admit, working out in general seems to help. I have the problem a lot less often than before. When I was at my heaviest, coughing or laughing would produce the same effect. Now it's just jumping around.
    Thoughts? Advice? Does this happen to others or just to me? How can I speed up the process of strengthening the muscles? Has this happenned to anyone else who has NOT had kids? I feel like if this is happening to me I should have a beautiful baby to show for it.

I've not had kids I'm in the same boat no beautiful baby to show for it and mad as hell. LOL anyways! I had a GP tell me besides kegels putting yourself onto an actual bladder schedule helps also. It works for me. I set a phone alarm for 45 minutes and ever 45 minutes I go potty. It can be a pain, but it has really helped with the accidents. Then after you come back form the potty do a few kegels and resume what you were doing.
  • Momma1213
    Momma1213 Posts: 56
    Options
    Jumping jacks and jogging are my nemesis for sure. Like others have said, potty before training, and then try a full strength pad. A few others that I have talked to about this suggested surgery and I had zero clue there was such a thing as PT for this beyond Kegels. Learn something new every day.
    Good luck!