Tell Me Not To Have That Cookie.......

Options
Hi!

Its 4pm here in the UK and I have done really really well today. Have stuck to my healthy eating and noted everything on the diary.

But its this time of day that really gets to me...the kids are just in from college and dump their bags and head straight for the biscuits...and its just too far away from lunchtime and I am starting to feel hungry but not close enough to dinnertime and now is the time I lose it and frequently put the rest of the days good work to waste.....

So...what do you do when you get the munchies? Is there a certain time of day that is harder for you than others?

Give me some advice and ideas on how to get over this 3.30 - 5pm possible food fest!!!

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Ugh, my worst time is also 3-5. At 5 I leave my desk and can get it in my head I don't need it. But sitting at my desk is hard.. with all the yummy cookies candy and snacks around.

I try to do something low calorie A handful of trail mix, an applesauce, a fruit cup.. you can do it!! And if you need a snack, go for it.. you really might enjoy the 100 calorie boost and feel better until dinner time. :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots and celery sticks. Carrots are sweet and celery is salty, so I find they help control my cravings for snacks. You can do it!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and an apple
    a slice of bread and PB
    nuts and grapes
    nuts and raisins
    cheese and a few crackers
    cheese and an a few apple slices

I eat about every 2-2.5 hours and I plan it out, perhaps that might help you?
  • tosize2
    tosize2 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have/had the same problem, only when I get into bed at night.
    I worked on it every day for a long time and could not seem to break the cycle.

then my therapist said i should begin to track my calories and see how much i was actually having.

i couldn'y even log the cookies.

Then, one day, after a few days watching what I ate the rest of the day, I got on the scale and was at a slightly lower weight and was motivated. Also, i posted something like you just did. And added some MFP friends for support too. I brushed my teeth before the time of temptation and just made myself get through it. I stopped rationalizing that it was ok for another day.
    I haven't done it since and I've lost 8 lbs!

Good luck! I know how hard it is.
  • TracyJean2012
    TracyJean2012 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i always have the munchies but I have found the 100 calorie pack cookies and have them on hand or I do the snack size baggies full of portioned out whatever I have on hand from cookies to pretzels to yes I'm saying it, my weakness, M & M'S. that way I can have what I want and its already portioned out for me. The one thing I have learned don't deny yourself the things you really want you just crave them more that way.

hope this helps!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    A Special K bar is sweet enough and gets me through many 3-5pm's :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,714 Member
    Options
    An afternoon snack is really important to my success. If I don't have one, I am so hungry by dinnertime that I inhale my food without even tasting it and am hungry and tempted to eat until bedtime. My usual snack is some baby organic spinach, a handful of baked croutons, a half tablespoon of salad dressing (my latest favorite is a yogurt-based blue cheese), and then a container of Activia Light vanilla yogurt. If I will be out running around and not able to have my usual afternoon snack, I bring a single serving packet of chocolate Shakeology with me.
  • WussKat
    WussKat Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have written your ideas down....and reading all these messages has got me through today's crisis zone :-)