Lifting weights... losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I quit cardio (running), started full-body lifting 2-3 days a week, all while eating at a deficit and the weight is coming off more now than it ever has.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    For me, I incorporated weight training from the beginning in order to maintain as much lean muscle as possible. I didn't want to lose a bunch of weight, including a lot of muscle, and have to be constantly lowering my calories because of losing muscle which uses energy while at rest. I have actually raised my cals over the last year and have continued to lose. Granted, I am losing at a much slower rate than a lot of people on here, but I don't feel deprived, I don't have crazy cravings leading to binges. I also don't feel guilty about eating the food. I look at food as fuel for my body. I'm asking my body to do bigger and better things and I have to feed it.

Edited to add: I am 5'6" and I started at 255lbs, 46.5 inch waist. I currently weigh 186 lbs and have a 33 inch waist, which is 3 inches smaller than when I weighed 179lbs, and did all cardio. Those results make me not care what the scale has to say, lol.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm a hypocrite for saying this, because I get frustrated at the scale, but a tape measure, your clothes and the mirror are a far better gauge than the scale. We all want to see the scale move downwards, but if we're weight training and losing fat, the net loss is going to be less than if just losing weight (fat and muscle).
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT.
    Yes it does. When comparing weight of muscle and fat, you use the same VOLUME. By volume muscle weight more than fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

*sigh* it really annoys me when people do...exactly...what you just did. You quote the very first sentence and nothing else because that's probably all that you read of that post. For example, if you quoted that sentence, plus the paragraph after it, you would have seen that you both said the same thing...in a different way.

A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. They're both a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat. This means that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you look at someone who is 140 pounds and has 30% body fat compared to someone who is 140 pounds and 20%, you will see a huge difference.

That said....

To the Original poster :

A Calorie deficit is what you need in order to lose the weight. Whether you create that deficit with excercise or reducing calorie intake, or both, it doesn't matter. Deficit is where it is at. You can do cardio for 2 hours a day, but if you eat it all back, then all that excercise just gets you back where you started. Just look at NFL linemen...they work out constantly and have great stamina, but most of them have pronounced gut. (they do this on purpose so that they are harder to move, but you get the idea...)

I prefer to do a mix of Cardio and Strength Training each week, 3 days of each. This way, with cardio I can build and maintain my stamina, and with Strength training I can maintain my muscle strength and hopefuly tone up some. This is because I want to avoid being "skinny-fat" which is when you lose weight...but you have all the extra loose skin that can trick you into thinking you're still fat. The scale can be a handy tool, but as others have said, dont' rely on it as your only measurment of success.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights like most have said will definitely make you stronger - strength wise... As far as pound for pound, yes I think muscle is heavier than fat but in a good way ... If you want to see some abs for instance, hitting them in the gym will help you see them quicker - everyone has abs even if they haven't weight lifted before but it will be much smaller than those that do train for abs, this means you could potentially see your abs faster because you have less weight to lose before you see them!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 lbs in 6 months doing 95% weight lifting. I train like how a bodybuilder trains, even though I'm definitely not one. I go 3x a week.

I sometimes do a very small amount of cardio but not much. There was a period of months where I did none at all.

Lifting is better and more effective than cardio by miles. You improve your figure, lose weight and get stronger simultaneously. I'd recommend you ease in some weightlifting gradually to get comfortable with it, find out what you like. And over time reduce that cardio to a minimum.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "...because muscle apparently weighs more than fat..."

NO IT DOES NOT.

Sorry, but this makes me freaking crazy. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat BOTH WEIGH A POUND.

However, the pound of muscle takes up less space than the pound of fat.

So yes, lift weights, because muscle burns more calories over the long term than fat.

ETA read New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    many years ago the BBC (uk) did an experiment following people for a number of weeks using a variety of weight loss methods to see what worked best including akins, calorie controlled and exercise including weights. I can remember being really impressed by the looks of one participant highlighted as , though she failed to mend her eating habits and lost very little weight, actually totally refined the look of her body by weights losings inches in the tens from just her waist (as well as rest of body) clearly body shape vastly improved without scale loss
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I often find my heartbeat up around 120 and above while weight lifting as i take minimum rest between sets and pyramid up and down to and from maximum weight - even breath rapidly....

I would argue in this state despite using weights i am in the same physical state as when doing cardio but with the benefit of building strength and mass rapidly or holding muscle whilst i diet and strip fat off.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,984 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights has turned me from "skinny-fat" into "skinny-strong". BIG difference in my "shape"....I highly recommend making sure that resistance-training is part of your exercise regimen!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. When comparing weight of muscle and fat, you use the same VOLUME. By volume muscle weight more than fat.

IDEA Fitness member

*sigh* it really annoys me when people do...exactly...what you just did. You quote the very first sentence and nothing else because that's probably all that you read of that post. For example, if you quoted that sentence, plus the paragraph after it, you would have seen that you both said the same thing...in a different way.
    When measuring say metals to compare density, does one weigh a pound to a pound? No. To compare, the same volume of metal is weighed against one another. I addressed the statement. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. It's NOT disputed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i have been facing the similar problem.... i lift heavy for 6 days a week , each day a different muscles and have been doing this past 2 months but still no loss in weight or inches.. really require advice as to what is happening?

Note- my muscles get sore the next day . which indicates i have done a good amount of lifting but no result as such , not even an inch reduction

have been following a good diet too
    Then you're probably consuming more than you need. Cut back 100 calories a day and see what happens.

IDEA Fitness member

If her diary is logged accurately she is not eating too much. I would lean towards upping cals for the amount of weight training she is doing. Maybe staying at maintenance for a while and then slowly cutting?
    I'm usually inclined to think that most people overestimate actual workout calories. I usually have clients cut 100 calories first and see if that makes a difference. That's my standard approach. If it doesn't work then I go the opposite direction.

IDEA Fitness member
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A fitness instructor explained it well the other day...

"Do just cardio, and become a skinnier version of what you look like now.. With weights, you can mould your body!"
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

When measuring say metals to compare density, does one weigh a pound to a pound? No. To compare the same volume of metal is weighed against one another. I addressed the statement. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. It's NOT disputed.

IDEA Fitness member

Volume =/= weight. A pound is always a pound. A pound of Muscle is more DENSE and has less VOLUME but has the same WEIGHT as a pound of fat. :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

When measuring say metals to compare density, does one weigh a pound to a pound? No. To compare the same volume of metal is weighed against one another. I addressed the statement. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. It's NOT disputed.

IDEA Fitness member

Volume =/= weight. A pound is always a pound. A pound of Muscle is more DENSE and has less VOLUME but has the same WEIGHT as a pound of fat. :noway:
    Take a gallon of water. Now freeze it. Is it more dense frozen? Yes, but did the weight change? :noway: It seems you're confused on comparison weighing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. They're both a pound. However, muscle is denser than fat. This means that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. If you look at someone who is 140 pounds and has 30% body fat compared to someone who is 140 pounds and 20%, you will see a huge difference.

Sigh yourself! By this definition, nothing can weigh more than anything! Comparing the weight of two different substances (rather than objects) always means the comparison of equal volumes. High school physics is so easily forgotten.
  • ctpeace
    Options
    Take a gallon of water. Now freeze it. Is it more dense frozen? Yes, but did the weight change? :noway: It seems you're confused on comparison weighing.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
    Acutally water is less dense frozen, that's why it floats, but I digress...
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Sigh yourself! By this definition, nothing can weigh more than anything! Comparing the weight of two different substances (rather than objects) always means the comparison of equal volumes. High school physics is so easily forgotten.
    What? You mean we actually have to use physics?:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ctpeace
    Options
    My quote posting skills may be lacking, but this is such an odd place to be discussing basic physics, which has yet to change. Water is actually the exception, most solids are denser than the same substance in liquid form, water is the opposite. However when you compare SUBSTANCES, you always imply "of equal volume", otherwise you say silly things like "a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle". Of course it does, no one ever suggested that a pound of one thing could somehow weigh more or less than a pound of another. However a cubic centimeter of fat does weigh less than a cubic centimeter of muscle, and since most of us actually care more about the extra volume around our midsections, this is a valid and helpful piece of information. He dicho!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Acutally water is less dense frozen, that's why it floats, but I digress...
    So your hand should be less hurt when punching a block gallon of ice compared to just punching a gallon of water with the same force? Let's see it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your last post.

IDEA Fitness member