Lifting weights... losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    In other news, nweights+ mcardio+ proper nutrition=better body and weight loss. Your goals will determine the ratio of n to m. Sorry, more math :happy:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    strength training wont help u lose weight
    it will help u tone and build muscle
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Why does the muscle weight argument have to find its way into all these threads??

What difference does it make how many angels can dance of the head of a pin?

Bottom line: Don't let the scale bully you around because it's only one of many indicators of health and fitness, and not even the main one. When did we become so addicted to scale numbers???

The true indicator of your actual health and fitness level is your body. So if you eat mostly healthy foods, pay attention to your intake and keep it in a reasonable range, make good food choices, get your butt moving regularly and incorporate resistance training, you will remain healthy and develop strength and a greater fitness level than ever before in your life. The scale may not move much for a while (if at all) but your body will morph before your eyes, and you will get stronger and feel better and therefore be happier (and isn't that the point?).

Nobody wants to lose weight for the sake of losing weight. There are other reasons attached. Let those other reasons motivate you and cut the umbilical cord to Dictator Scale, and then focus on fat loss and strength/fitness gains.

Start lifting yesterday would be my suggestion. :smile:
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    yes
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im a heavy lifter and no longer weigh myself. The number on the scale was doing my head in when the photos I took monthly showed a vast difference in shape for the better.

I would definetly recommend that you lift but instead of using your scale take measurements and progess pics. You wont regret it
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The current arguments in favor of lifting weights suggest that it boost your BMR and may help to prevent muscle loss while losing weight.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's about retaining your lean muscle mass while you lose fat. If you don't lift weights and eat at a deficit, you will just turn into a shrunken version of yourself. Lifting allows you to use the fat on your body for fuel.

Also, lifting is similar to HIIT, in that both involve intense anaerobic activity. So unless you really love your cardio and have Tour de France or marathon aspirations, lifting might be more effective for fat loss.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Like I said, the density is different. If you are taking the same volume of fat and muscle, obviously the mass of the muscle will be higher. However, that does not change the fact that a pound of fat does not weight less than a pound of muscle. They are both a pound.

Not one single person said a pound of fat weighs less than a pound of muscle. No one has EVER said that in any post I've seen. I don't understand why some people feel the need to argue a point that was never even made in the first place.

A *cubic inch* of fat weighs less than a *cubic inch* of muscle. The words "cubic inch" (or even the more general "by volume") are understood to be implied by everyone except those who want to argue. Why don't you just understand that this is what is meant and leave it alone?

ETA: My guess is saying/yelling A POUND OF MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN A POUND OF FAT burns a boatload of calories. That must be why it's thrown around so much.
  • thehka
    thehka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    to dispute the volume v density v weight thing....would you rather be hit with a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been a cardio junkie my whole life..... I never bothered with weights despite everyone telling me i should.

Then i over did it and got injured. Injured so badly i wasnt able to do cardio. So i started lifting weights .... Well the rest is history, my body changed so drammatically.... i couldnt believe it. ontop of that when i was able to get back to the cardio i was able to do it a million times better, longer stronger! I was amazed!

Recently, i have not had any time to do anything but run and i have been off the weights - i have noticed the difference in my metablolisim (dropping), my body is so much 'softer' and my cardio (running) is tough!

Weights are amazing!
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    ItsFinallyHappening Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Does lap swimming using flippers for your legs and using hand paddles for your arms count as weight lifting? Both work my arm and leg muscles really well and I'd like to think its like lifting weights - pushing my own weight.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Take a gallon of water. Now freeze it. Is it more dense frozen? Yes, but did the weight change? :noway: It seems you're confused on comparison weighing.

No, water becomes less dense as it freezes or ice wouldn't float. Plus water expands as it freezes. To become more dense it would have to contract.

But you are right, a pound is a pound.

As for the Physics "Weight = Mass x Gravitational Acceleration"
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Take a gallon of water. Now freeze it. Is it more dense frozen? Yes, but did the weight change? :noway: It seems you're confused on comparison weighing.

No, water becomes less dense as it freezes or ice wouldn't float. Plus water expands as it freezes. To become more dense it would have to contract.

Hahaha, yeah, water is one of the few substances that expands when it becomes solid!

I am enjoying this debate about muscle mass, but to get back to the topic, I want to point out that the difference between muscle metabolism and fat metabolism is not sufficiently large to account for the differences that people experience. Exercise alone produces some differences, and repairing/building muscles takes energy. At rest, the difference in energy consumption between muscle and fat is about 10-20 kcal per pound. If you gain 1 lb of muscle, you burn only a few more calories at rest. But making that muscle took some energy.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When you're in a deficit (which you will be, to lose weight) the muscle gain, if any, will be so minimal/next to nothing that it's not really going to make a difference to your weight loss.

The main reason for lifting while losing weight is to preserve muscle mass. You will also get stronger. Muscle gain only really happens when you're eating a minimum of maintenance, aside from very small newbie gains.

Lift weights to preserve muscle / gain strength, do your cardio for CV health, eat in a calorie deficit to shed fat.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^ If you are at your goal weight but flabby and weak, you won't like it. I wish I had lifted weight in the past when I lost weight. When you lose weight but don't lift, you will not preserve your muscles and set yourself up for regain. Been there, done that, didn't like it, you won't either. :frown:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

Hahaha, yeah, water is one of the few substances that expands when it becomes solid!

I am enjoying this debate about muscle mass, but to get back to the topic, I want to point out that the difference between muscle metabolism and fat metabolism is not sufficiently large to account for the differences that people experience. Exercise alone produces some differences, and repairing/building muscles takes energy. At rest, the difference in energy consumption between muscle and fat is about 10-20 kcal per pound. If you gain 1 lb of muscle, you burn only a few more calories at rest. But making that muscle took some energy.

My goal to start was to keep my muscle and lose fat. As a person who had over 100 lbs to lose and reading that the average person's weight loss is 75% fat tissue and 25% lean muscle, losing 25 lbs of lean muscle could make a significant difference in how much energy my body burns.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    strength training wont help u lose weight
    it will help u tone and build muscle
    Not entirely correct, but weight loss is deterred by strength training due to water/glycogen retention. Notice I didn't say it doesn't affect fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Does lap swimming using flippers for your legs and using hand paddles for your arms count as weight lifting? Both work my arm and leg muscles really well and I'd like to think its like lifting weights - pushing my own weight.
    Depends on how hard you push through the water. Obviously the slower you're going vs the faster you going will effect the resistance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lol, I'm more convinced now that I should have said "Blue Ice pack".:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    "...because muscle apparently weighs more than fat..."

NO IT DOES NOT.

Sorry, but this makes me freaking crazy. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat BOTH WEIGH A POUND.

However, the pound of muscle takes up less space than the pound of fat.

So yes, lift weights, because muscle burns more calories over the long term than fat.

ETA read New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Weight training is extremely important for "firming up" and getting sleek muscle definition all over your body. It will increase your appetite at first, and for a few months the scale stayed the same for me, although I was losing fat slowly. Now that I'm more careful about placing my calories in a deficit, I'm back to losing numbers via the scale. The new definition in my arms and upper abs is awesome and surprises me every time; I would place weight training above cardio in terms of changing your body's appearance. With cardio and weight loss you often end up looking smaller, but still soft. Take a random group of people around the same weight and it's sometimes hard to tell who does cardio and who doesn't. With weight lifting and a lower body fat percentage you can see the definition and athleticism easier.

Tips: Lift heavy, eat something with protein in it within 20 minutes of finishing your weight workouts (a lot of people blend a scoop of flavored whey and 8 oz water in a plastic bottle). Eat a little more on the days that you lift.