Eating under 1200

Options
Is eating under 1200 calories really bad?? Why can't I lose weight. I'm eating under my calorie goal but still can't :(:( someone please help

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it pretty much sucks. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Because you body think that it has to reserve some calories and fat and for that reason you don't lose weight
  • RunEatLift
    Options
    Your body thinking it's starving so it's holding onto your fat. You're really going to slow down your metabolism eating that little - it's unnecessary.
  • arozman2
    arozman2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So if I eat 1200 though is that enough!
  • newfie_74
    newfie_74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think it's trial-and-error. I was setting 1200 as my net calorie goal, and didn't lose anything. Bumped it up to 1400 and it's starting to come off. You need to feed your metabolism.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    :mad: :explode: :huh:
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1200 you will start losing again but you will stall again as it is still not enough. I eat 1400 and I am only 5' 2" and as long as I stick to it I lose every week :smile:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    :mad: :explode: :huh:

x2

...for the love already
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Look up eat more to weigh less on the forums here, there is some really good info about it. I can personally say that it works I now eat anywhere from 1500-2300 calories per day averaging about 1800 per day and I have been consistently loosing 2+pounds per week. Think of it this way you need to eat to fuel your work outs.
  • caleo2006
    caleo2006 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Look up eat more to weigh less on the forums here, there is some really good info about it. I can personally say that it works I now eat anywhere from 1500-2300 calories per day averaging about 1800 per day and I have been consistently loosing 2+pounds per week. Think of it this way you need to eat to fuel your work outs.

Yes! This ^^^
  • kelmom123
    Options
    I try and fluctuate my calorie intake so my body has to keep guessing and does not slow down. I still stay within a range to lose weight, but your metabolism doesnt slow down because it's confused, whereas eating 1200 calories a day for weeks on end, it gets used to that and accommodates for so few calories by slowing down.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am eating between 1600-1800 calories a day and have recently been losing almost 2 lbs a week the past couple weeks.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am 49 years old and 4'10" tall!! I eat around 1500 calories 5 days a week when I am exercising. When I am not exercising I eat about 1200 calories.

If you are exercising you need to eat back about 1\2 of your exercise calories if you are using what MFP gives you for your exercise. With that being said, MFP tends to over estimate calories burned.

Good Luck!!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I cannot consistently stay under the 1200... I even tried to change my goals, and it still kept it at that... I don't panic if I am over most of the time... I've lost over an inch...I'm happy that I am moving in the right direction, and I eat back pretty much ALL of my exercise calories!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    EAT!!!!! :grumble:
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Try netting at least you're BMR. There are cacluators on here for that. BMR is what you body needs to function, so eating less than that, is generally not a great idea.

edit:
    At the top where all the tabs are, there is one that says APPS, click on it and then BMR in the little tree that appears. That should give you your BMR calories.
  • muddynicola
    muddynicola Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's metabolisms are different and it's generalizing to say that's not enough end of story. I spent 6 months eating 1600 calories and exercising and didn't lose an inch and that was me increasing my calorie intake from about 1400 and not exercising because I was thrown the popular line 'you need to eat more' so I did and whilst I didn't gain anything I didn't lose it and I was working out 3.5 hours a week more than on 1400 calories. I have since cut it to 1200 and now I am losing. I advise you to work out your BMR and use that as a guideline. People like to jump on popular bandwagons and at the moment it's low sugar, interval training and eat more, next year it will be something else. Stick as close to the science as you possibly can. I say eat more mass, eat more frequently but don't neccessarily eat more calories unless the science BMR,TDEE says you should. However I have serious doubts about the formula's used for body fat percentages given variations is skeletal structure and fat distribution around the body.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't benefit from upping my calorie goal?
    People say in order to lose weight,you have to be eating more than 1200 cals,blah blah,but it just doesn't work for me.God,why?!
  • Turtlt
    Turtlt Posts: 1
    Options
    Om average you should be eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Do not meal skip. Chose protein and veggies for each meal DON'T DRINK your calories. My training said eat anything with a face 3-4 oz, cut carbs eat carbs only after a work out and in MODERATION. Even your snacks should include a protein.

For example for breakfast I have a green shake (I make) with Whey protein. AM snack is 2 oz of chicken and a handful of veggies (carrots, celery etc maybe 5 or so baby carrot and 2 sticks of celery cut in half) lunch 4 oz of protein and a large salad with no dressing. PM snack is similar to the AM snack and dinner will consist of 4 oz of tuna, steak, chicken etc along with a cup or more of veggies and 1/4-1/2 cup of couscous or brown rice. Skip adding sweetener to teas or coffees. Drink water and teas (unsweetened) at least 48oz a day. Stay away from energy drinks, sodas and gatorades they are high in sugar and sodium. Stay away from Starbucks etc or chose a small rather than medium or large there are a lot of calories in those things. Cut out refined and processed food, fast food, etc.

Nuts are good snacks. Making a life style change and healthy choices can be difficult until you understand what you are putting in your body!

Good luck and I hope this helps!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't benefit from upping my calorie goal?
    People say in order to lose weight,you have to be eating more than 1200 cals,blah blah,but it just doesn't work for me.God,why?!

You're probably doing it wrong.