Eating under 1200

Options
2»

Replies

• libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I came here to look up. I lost around 70 with eating about 1200 per day since July. Since January I have been exercising more, but didn't really up my calories. I have plateaued since the beginning of March and I am not done losing, I still have some 30 to go before I hit goal. I am terrified to up my calories to make up for what I burn on exercise, because I dont want to gain. Should I try anyway? I have a lot of trouble as it is hitting the 1200 some days!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I have a daily calorie goal of 2,000 but I try to end my day at 1200. I eat back the calories I burn. Lately I have been burning 413 a day so I have been consuming around 1600 to land me just over 1200. EAT more and exercise more you need to make your metabolism work for you not against you.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I came here to look up. I lost around 70 with eating about 1200 per day since July. Since January I have been exercising more, but didn't really up my calories. I have plateaued since the beginning of March and I am not done losing, I still have some 30 to go before I hit goal. I am terrified to up my calories to make up for what I burn on exercise, because I dont want to gain. Should I try anyway? I have a lot of trouble as it is hitting the 1200 some days!

Eat some of my dirty popcorn 445 calories of yum. It works for me now message me for the recipe.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I was at a dead stop on weight loss for months. For me raising my calories has worked. The way you can get extra calories in is eating peanut butter, avocado's, full fat milk has quite a good amount of calories.
  • dedicated2014
    dedicated2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I personally cannot eat only 1200 calories, at least not for the long-term. I end up feeling starved and I don't lose any weight anyway. I usually eat somewhere between 1200-1300 calories most days, and 1400 maybe 2 days a week. My calorie goal is 1400-ish, so I usually end up eating less than my goal.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't benefit from upping my calorie goal?
    People say in order to lose weight,you have to be eating more than 1200 cals,blah blah,but it just doesn't work for me.God,why?!

You're probably doing it wrong.
    How can I possibly be doing it wrong? I hate it when people try to act smart,but don't really offer a reasonable solution.
    And besides,I think that everyone's body works differently.Some people benefit from upping their cals and some just have to be eating 1200 cals tops in order to lose.However,obviously,I'm a bit frustrated that I belong to those who just have to eat a lot less.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    At that low of a calorie level, your metabolism may be slowed down by as much as 25%. This means that when you get to your goal weight, to maintain it you are going to have to continue to eat 25% below what your calorie requirement would be if your metabolism had not been slowed down.

For example, let's say that your goal weight is 130, and your calorie requirement at that weight for light activity and a normal metabolism would be 1700 per day. These are rough estimates because I don't know your particulars. A 25% reduction in that would put you at only 1275 calories per day to maintain that weight. Wouldn't you rather keep your metabolism humming along at an optimum rate and get to eat the 1700 calories at goal? I know I would.

A good way to approach this would be to calculate what your calorie requirements would be at your goal weight and start eating those calories right now. A good site to do that is fat2fit.com. Theoretically, you would slowly reduce to your goal weight, at which point you will no longer lose weight but maintain. However, keep in mind that these are estimates. You may have to adjust your calories up a bit or down a bit. Be cautious. If you need to cut calories, cut back by 100 every 2 weeks, not 500. (be cautious in adjusting calories upward, too)

Wishing you long-term success!
  • SexiBayBeezy
    SexiBayBeezy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this post I was doing it backwards eating around 1000 calories
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    People say in order to lose weight,you have to be eating more than 1200 cals,blah blah,but it just doesn't work for me.God,why?!

How can I possibly be doing it wrong? I hate it when people try to act smart,but don't really offer a reasonable solution.
    And besides,I think that everyone's body works differently.Some people benefit from upping their cals and some just have to be eating 1200 cals tops in order to lose.However,obviously,I'm a bit frustrated that I belong to those who just have to eat a lot less.

And I hate it when someone says something doesn't work for them but doesn't actually say what they tried and for how long.

Did you figure out your BMR/TDEE?
    Did you accurately log your intake?
    Did you weigh and measure your food?
    Do you exercise?
    Did you log your workouts honestly?
    Did you give it longer than a week?

There are a lot of factors to consider when trying to lose. These are the biggest ones. I don't try to be smart. I AM smart.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options

And I hate it when someone says something doesn't work for them but doesn't actually say what they tried and for how long.

Do you exercise?

There are a lot of factors to consider when trying to lose. These are the biggest ones. I don't try to be smart. I AM smart.
    My BMR really is different on every site,but let's say it's around 1600.
    I used to eat about 1500-1800 calories a day and I only did the 30 day shred every day and went for walks sometimes.
    I don't measure my food because I don't have a food scale.However,I think that I log pretty accurately,because,the most of the stuff I eat doesn't need to be measured by a scale(I usually measure with cups,spoons,etc)
    I used to do this for about two months and I lost 5 kg.That's not enough for me and I want to lose more and ASAP because I just can't stand the way I look and feel right now.And that's why I have to eat like 1200 tops until I feel comfortable in my own body,even though it's really really hard sometimes.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I was at a dead stop on weight loss for months. For me raising my calories has worked. The way you can get extra calories in is eating peanut butter, avocado's, full fat milk has quite a good amount of calories.
    I appreciate your feedback! I added those foods in, and use coconut oil in cooking, etc. I think I may have to add in a few more calories, and even maybe something before I work out in the AM and see if that helps. Right now I am doing fasted cardio and fasted weight training.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Do you exercise?

My BMR really is different on every site,but let's say it's around 1600.
    I used to eat about 1500-1800 calories a day and I only did the 30 day shred every day and went for walks sometimes.
    I don't measure my food because I don't have a food scale.However,I think that I log pretty accurately,because,the most of the stuff I eat doesn't need to be measured by a scale(I usually measure with cups,spoons,etc)
    I used to do this for about two months and I lost 5 kg.That's not enough for me and I want to lose more and ASAP because I just can't stand the way I look and feel right now.And that's why I have to eat like 1200 tops until I feel comfortable in my own body,even though it's really really hard sometimes.

It's sad that you stopped doing what was working. Trust me, I get it. I've been holding onto my 30# fat suit for six years. I've tried every fad diet, short of the HCG one. Proper fat loss takes time. You need to be patient. If there was a way to lose weight fast don't you think everyone would be doing it?